100 All Analogue LP's Worth Owning?

Certainly @HappyListener! You could look on Bandcamp or Discogs…

1 Like

Michael Fremer is pals with Chad Kaseem who owns Analogue Productions and although he says not I think Fremer has some bias in that direction hence in my opinion the prominence in his list.

:grinning:

Haha!
Indeed Richard. Perhaps I should have included the question in my opening post;
Or any suggestions for records that should have been included on this list that match the criteria ie all analogue and currently in print.

1 Like

Well, starting at the beginning of the list, I’ve ordered the 33rpm pressing of Masterpieces.

Would you like to reveal the LP you mention on Bandcamp?

1 Like

I can’t give you a direct link because of forum rules @Dreadatthecontrols but if you type in “Up In Smoke” in the search box on Bandcamp, it’s the album with the portrait of an attractive lady on the front, with a pinky/blue/purply colour background…

Seems to be a favourite with many members of the forum.

1 Like

Given there’s another thread on this Forum, I assume it’s OK to X-reference:

…not trying to steal @TheKevster 's thunder.

I’d forgotten the Forum search function works!

2 Likes

Thanks guys I’ll check it out.

One title from Fremers list I would highly recommend is Unpopular Music - BBC Late Junction Sessions.
Unexpected creative collaborations and great sound pressed on to two 45rpm discs. Analogue mastering from the excellent Gearbox label who’s varied catalogue deserves checking out.
l_394220unpopularmusic_cover_300x300

2 Likes

Yes “Unpopular Music” is an awesome compilation. Pretty much anything on Gearbox is all-analogue and is in stunning SQ. That’s why I like working with Darrel and Caspar - their devotion to the cause is exemplary.

1 Like

Kev, yeah I just looked up the LP you referred to, nice coincidence it’s credited as produced by Darrell Sheinman and cut by Casper at Gearbox.
I love a lot of the Gearbox catalogue and have been buying from them since their early days.
Nice one

1 Like

Unpopular Music is excellent. Also worth checking out other LPs from Gearbox. In particular I would highly recommend Nitin Sawhney playing Live at Ronnie Scotts.

Other recent all analogue LPs worth having would be the Don Rendell And Ian Carr reissues on Jazzman Records. In my opinion, Shades of Blue and Dusk Fire are up there with the handful of very best jazz records of all time and the recordings were really excellent too.

3 Likes

perhaps it’s true, however these 2 brands produce high quality lps, true analog. At a price… i have a dozen of them.

Sorry if this thread is turning into the Gearbox fan club😂 But you really cant go wrong, my only problem is they are becoming quite prolific and its getting difficult to keep up.
A few of my favourites;
Theon Cross - Fyah
Binker & Moses - Dem Ones, Journey To The Mountain Of Forever & Alive In The East
Applewood Rd
Unpopular Music
Simon Spillet- Square One
Jazz Jamaica (I think now deleted)

1 Like

Richard, re Jazzman label thanks for the tip, just checking their website. Looks like the Don Rendell Ian Carr titles you mention are sold out.
Thanks again

Has anyone heard any of the Strata East re issues from Pure Pleasure?

A ridiculous concept recommending owning, as it depends on people’s musical taste! I take it this is simply his list of personal top 100 analogue albums still available on vinyl.

He clearly has quite different taste from me! But for those whose tastes are similar to his, or even partially (eg jazz), then it may trigger interest in some things not already known.

If I may say so, I think that’s a rather narrow view. Of course everyone has different tastes but if one wants to broaden their taste then recommendations from someone who has different tastes is useful.
The point with Fremer also is that he is coming from an Audiophile perspective, so recommendations are based on mastering, pressing and sound quality rather than specific genre or taste. Its a recomendation not a prescription, no matter how good a title might sound, if it doesnt float yer boat, obviously your not going to want it.
If you watched the video, yes all two hours of it! I think he does say he will follow up with a Classical list, so maybe other genre specific lists may follow.

2 Likes

I readily acknowledge it is a narrow view - because I only ever listen to music for the pleasure it gives, and if I don’t like the music I don’t get pleasure from it, however well recorded it may be, so that “audiophile” angle is lost on me, other than where it improves the sound quality of music I like. However, I suppose my point was more that whilst it may be legitimate for someone else to recommend listening to particular pieces of music, it seems very odd to recommend that people should own them!

i agree more here with Dreadatthecontrols. The selection by Michael Fremer is based on his tastes but also on sound quality matter.
Each can choose what he is interested by in the list.
My choices are :
Miles, in the silent way
Aretha Franklin Aretha ‘s gold
Jimmy Hendrix
Joni Mitchell
Cat Stevens
Shelby Lynn
Cassandra Wilson

so only 7 on 100

1 Like

The info in the booklet in the boxset says they were analogue mastered and analogue cut as well, with a list of equipment used.

1 Like

strata east original records are often very expensive. Or it’s very difficult to find Near Mint. So i would go for the pure pleasure.
However i have some pure pleasure albums. I am not sure all are made in true analog way, because some sound a bit digital.

1 Like