102/180 to 202/200?

To me it makes no sense to delay the purchase of your chosen 282/250 by spending money on a 202/200, especially given that this may be no better than what you already have. If these purchases are just to satisfy your curiosity, fair enough, some people just enjoy swapping boxes. Personally I prefer to head straight for my endgame in the most efficient way.

1 Like

I’ve owned and graduated from 42, 102, 82 and 52. The 102 was the weakest and was only Naim preamp I ever sold.
As others have said, the 82 will blow away the 102. Unfortunately, the 52 is in a different league even to the 82 and would be an excellent final preamp.
Of course you need a supercap at some point.
To me, the 102 should switch to an 82. Then the 180 to an olive 250. Then switch hicap to supercap. Finally 82 to 52. Ultimately 250 to 135s adds a bit more zing and control.
I’ve heard 252/300 sets and prefer the sharper, more forward sound of my own 52/Scap/135s.

3 Likes

Or the OP could do what I’ve done.
I bought my 102, 180, HiCap and NAPSC back in 1998/9 and still have them. I’ve heard a few fine sounding systems over the years, including 52 with 3x 250, 552 with 3x 500, 62 with 250, my own previous 72 with 140, and HiCap.

Yes, some have been impressive, but when I’ve come back to my system in my various homes, I’ve never thought about changing anything. Speakers changed when we bought this house, partly for appearance.

As someone hinted at above, learn to like what you have first, and be careful with the opinions of others: there are differences between ‘same’ pre amps, especially as the olives especially are quite old now.

1 Like

I agree entirely, Chris.

You have said, rather more elegantly, exactly what I intended to get across above.

My system comprises the following olive CDX olive 102 napsc mk 1 CB HiCap and classic series 200 boy does it sound good every Friday and Saturday night. Never actually thought about the synergy too lost in the music.

1 Like

Agreed. 100%. The 102 was my worst Naim purchase. Very glad its long gone. But the 82 is probably my best ever…!!!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.