135 or 300dr

Looking at moving forward from my 3 x olive 250 amps driving my ovator 600’s.
I know the price difference is quite large and i could go straight to 6 x 135’s where as the 300dr’s would be more over a year or so.
But as i run a 52, would the 135’s if all in good health still be able to hold there own against the 300dr or would they be out classed these days.
Or do you think that i would get away running just 2 x 300’s or 4 x 135’s on the 600’s.
Interested in your views on this

@Camphuw has a 4 pack of 135s and the rest much the same. Interesting stuff for me in the closed thread https://community.naimaudio.com/t/s600-still-a-good-speaker.

Phil

A 52 & half a dozen 135’s is a formidable combination, get them serviced if required
Supercap DR for the snaxo
The only way up from there is 552/500’s
The 135’s are not at all embarrassed by a 552DR either

Lyndon

1 Like

As Phil says I run 4x135s into my Ovator 600s, with a 52.
I’ve had them five years and enjoy them.
I would like to add another 2x135s but was considering a 250 due to lack of space. On top of that cabling is a challenge.
I’ve had the 135s since 1996 and they were serviced in 2013. I love their natural sound, but could do with a little more base

I can assure you the 135s have no problem with bass, having recently been using a 6 pack on DBLs
I swapped for 500’s one at a time, what I noticed putting the 500 on the bass was much more detail than before and maybe a very slightly elevated output but not really a deeper bass

I would suggest another pair of 135’s and adjusting the snaxo pots

Lyndon

It would be worthwhile to try the speaker placement process using Jennifer Warnes Ballad of the Runaway Horse.

Phil

Would like to try a pair off 135’s against a 300DR , but guess that the 135’s on a home demo would be hard to find.
But interested to see what the 135 does over the 250, as they share most components. Plus i dont know if my speakers will like the 300’s better as i guess they are from the same design period?

I moved from Olive 250 to 135s
Big step up- I have very large room.
David

1 Like

I read on the old forum that olive or CB 135’s are internally the same. Is that correct?

Interesting - I believe most Ovator 600 users don’t toe in the speakers (same with SBLs I think).
I’ll check out the song though as I’m a fan of JW.

Certainly true for SBLs although I have experimented with a few degrees of toe in quite successfully. Always gone back to parallel eventually though.

1 Like

I did the same in the beginning but soon learnt that Naim knows best!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.