1972 ! 50 years, but what music!

Talking Book is a titanic work of funk and soul that bridged the gap between the stardom of Wonder’s youth and the truly visionary artistic output that was to follow. This album merely living up to its biggest hit—centerpiece “Superstition,” one of the most irresistible grooves ever committed to tape—would have been a minor miracle in itself, but Talking Book does so much more, as Wonder pairs the all-encompassing expression of his songwriting with the bold experimentation of his instrumentals.

15 Likes

19 Likes

Wow. Foxtrot is 50. Such a good record. Maybe the best of Genesis.

4 Likes

60% of this is the best of the 70s…

1 Like

That’s the only thing Roxy Music have done that I’ve ever liked!

1 Like

You won’t be buying the half speed remasters then, I take it? :grinning:

The Slider - T.Rex

11 Likes

All of Nick Drake’s albums are classics.I remember buying Pink Moon new and it cost £1.75 which I complained about! I sold it years later with a lot of other albums as I wanted a CD player (:grimacing:)
I did manage to replace it many years later, but it cost a lot more than £1.75. I now have all the original first pressings of all his albums which as many will know are very valuable ( Five Leaves Left £1,000 plus)

2 Likes

IMHO, the golden year was the one before, 1971.

1972 was great, as was 1973.

Ahhhh, those were the days…

1 Like

I bought the single, but for whatever reason didn’t digitise it when I did my LPs - it may have been one that had warped badly (I made the mistake of putting a box of singles in a loft). Maybe I’ll see if I can find a copy (just of VP) I can download. But I’m not sure it would sound good played at half speed! :rofl:

We can’t leave this out of the mix. I had an awful second or third-hand copy of it on vinyl for years, and never really appreciated it until I heard it on CD.

14 Likes

6 Likes

Oh my giddy aunt, how could I possibly forget this?!

1 Like

Remembered a couple more great albums from 1972:

Gentle Giant - Octopus

And PFM’s precursor to Photos of Ghosts, the excellent Italian prog rock album Per un Amico

3 Likes

Apart from some already mentioned these certainly we’re getting played at our place

6 Likes

The Qobuz hi res files really are special.

8 Likes

Whispering Bob - was probably smokng too much grass at the time, and didn’t care for things that jarred his California laid back head!

1 Like

The half speed re-mastered vinyl done at Abbey Road is a nice job.

1 Like

9 Likes

Another great album from 1972. I must admit that I didn’t get this first time around. In fact I didn’t discover it until the 1990s. Better late than never!?