1973, 50 years of incredible music

Mahavishnu Orchestra - ‘Birds of Fire’ and ‘Between Nothingness & Eternity’. Great jazz fusion both released in 1973!!

13 Likes

Also this, the first of many good albums by Camel.

10 Likes

@Richard.Dane
Hi Richard I believe I posted this in the wrong section. I guess it should have been in the Music Room. If you agree is it possible to move it over?

This one, from October '73, is a corker…

11 Likes

And from the same month, there was also this:

6 Likes

I’m surprised this one hasn’t been mentioned yet…

22 Likes

Mike_oldfield_tubular_bells_album_cover
Some favourites of mine from 1973 are the aforementioned Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd, Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield and 10cc by 10cc.

15 Likes

Hi Ian
A lot of us who were YES fans bought this almost as a spin off from the band. It was certainly different!
Rick was and is very talented and innovative though his shows now are a completely different genre

3 Likes

Yep another I bought at the time, the very peak of their career imho.

2 Likes

My all-time favorite Tom Waits Album is from 1973:

12 Likes

Blockquote

It is, but I still find it difficult listening to the children crying for their mother. Gets harder the older I get

Really? I find Tommy although imaginative a dreary affair, notwithstanding a few highlights. But Quad an amazing piece of work from start to finish. Viva la difference!

3 Likes

I like them both very much, but to me, yes, I think Tommy has the edge on balance, though Quad’s story is more real certainly. But you were to ask me another day and I might say the other way round as any idea of favourite out of a bunch of very good music is a matter of mood

2 Likes

One of my all time favourite albums was from 1973

The ‘72 thread was great but ‘73 is shaping up to be even better

22 Likes

Rick Wakeman was a very talented keyboard player (and Yes had no shortage of those over the years), and one hell of a showman. The other Yes musicians were staunch vegetarians, but Rick was caught on stage once hiding a cheeseburger in his instrument.

On another occasion he was straddling the keyboard on stage when it fell over, taking him with it. It turned out that he was wearing a sodding great belt buckle, which had become entangled in the keyboard.

I saw him once on TV being interviewed by Parky or Paxo (or some other), telling ridiculously funny stories, which had his interviewer in tears of laughter.

3 Likes

We saw his one man show a few years ago and he was simply hysterical😂
Got to meet him afterwards, what a delightful chap😊

2 Likes

He did that maybe 10-12 years ago, in a small marquee where I live with an audience of only a couple of hundred. Very intimate, and I’ll never forget his tale of piano lessons and being told to focus on something…

1 Like

Along those lines, on YouTube you can find the induction of Yes into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Geddy Lee stood in for the late Chris Squire and Rick Wakeman’s acceptance speech differs markedly from the other 3….

2 Likes

Some of us have this dating from 1973:

Not a great recording in my view but nevertheless an involving album. And of course according to the excesses of the time it was a triple album.

12 Likes

I agree: awful recording but excellent performances and very beautiful cover

1 Like