1990's Olive Green Complete System - Need Help - Connected/Sound "Wrong"

Here is a photo I took of my NBL crossover when I had them. The two top NACA5 leads go to the mid and tweeter and the bottom NACA5 lead goes to the bass drivers, the leads pass through rubber grommets on the casing which is quite long nearly a metre I would say…so you can’t miss them! I hope that helps.

Hi EBWhite,

Unfortunately nothing at all left in the deepest recesses of Naim HQ I’m afraid.
The only information I can find is as follows:

Nitrile Cord, 4mm 1320mm
Nitrile Cord, 5.7mm 1220mm

The lengths are per speaker. The thinner one is sewn into the hem of the grille & the thicker one sits around on top, if that makes sense. Each cord is butted together using Loctite 406.

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

Sorry to ask Neil, but would you able to be determine from your XO chap if component changes are needed if they could be retrofitted to a NAXO 2-4 assuming they were for Saras not SBLs originally?

While a service is likely to be in order ,if the NAXO 2-4 is not really in spec for SBLs I might as well just sort out the PAXOs (do things go wrong in these beyond speaker cable connectors?) for now and consider a new SNAXO assuming these can be configured for old SBL speakers.

Hi AC,

Yes, I’ll try to remember to ask him tomorrow!
PAXOs are generally pretty bullet proof, other than dry solder joints on the input terminals as you say.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Much appreciated Neil - they may be able to glean something from the internal image posted above - for some reason I’d always assumed it was only pot settings that mattered for different speakers, I suspect this is not the case.

Hi AC,

Yes there are component changes to the LF section of the Naxo together with pot tweaks between SBL & Sara.
If you choose to get the Naxo serviced, make sure to tell us what you want to use them with.

Regards
Neil.

Thanks for that info Neil, very helpful.

Thank you SO MUCH @NeilS. Super appreciated! And have another question regarding this system I could use your expertise on.

I read in one of the Naim preamplifier manuals that with the “shorting/link” adapters/pins, I would be able to connect the NA 82 Preamp directly to one of the NAP 250 amplifiers for stereo output to speakers of my choosing. No HICAPS, SNAXO, etc.

I connected the system per the diagram, but I’m not getting any sound out of the amp. Checked cabling, sources, power, and yes the NAPSC power supply is connected with a green LED, to the pre.

Can you please review and let me know what I might be missing to make this work. Thanks so much.

This is because the 250 has no provision to power a preamp, so with your current config. only the front panel of the 82 is being powered.
You need to use a Hicap etc. with a 250.

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

Hi @EBWhite, interesting to see this graphic which is one of mine from the series of manuaIs I created for naim.

The drawing only lists the 90, 140, and 180 power amplifiers as the 250 would not work for the reasons @NeilS stated.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.