2 systems, 1 source

Good morning, I would appreciate some advice and a quick sanity check on my set-up just in case I am about to blow up something!

My main system is an analogue only set up with two separate systems on one rack. System 1 - nait 2/ kan
System 2 - 32.5/250/hicap/ iota alpha
The source is an RP8.

To stop having to power down a system and then change over the source between to the two set-ups, I have added an RCA splitter so I can do this with a touch of a button

Can you see any potential issues with this? I am racking my (limited!) brains and cannot see an issue? Thanks in advance

1 Like

If that is a passive box with a level potentiometer, it could mess with the electrical loading of the cartridge, which would alter the sound.

I think that switching at such low signal levels is probably not a good idea, so - ideally - you should be looking for a solution at line level.

Is there a possibility of using a tape out signal from one amp into the other?

Which has the better phono stage?

The other sanity check question is why youā€™d possibly want two systems in one room. The Kabs would be so much better on the end of the 32/250. Why not put the Nait in another room?

5 Likes

Two systems are better than one! In all seriousness, they sound very different and serve different purposes, the 250 plays loud, the Nait is for Low level listening

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. To be honest Iā€™m not really sure which has the best phono stage.

I would be good to work out a solution, if using the TT could be an issue I could swap this out for a CD player when I want to switch between the two systems. Would be nice to get the TT in a working solution thoughā€¦itā€™s really interesting to switch between the 2 systems mid song and hear the differences between ampsā€¦

I think Iā€™d try connecting the Rega to the NAC32, and run a din-din from tape out on the ā€˜32 to tape in on the NAIT.

Make sure you get the pin out correct!

1 Like

Momentarily, I thought this thread was about the governance of Hong Kong.

2 Likes

This from AndyR is the best way to do what you want here. I would not want that splitter between the turntable and the phono stage as it must only cause performance loss.

1 Like

Chaps, thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. So a 5 pin din to 5 pin din lead between the nait and the 32 would be the correct lead?

Yes, but it will have to be a ā€œreverseā€ lead - to take REC out signal to regular PLAY in. A standard DIN interconnect wonā€™t work.

Thanks Richard. luckily I live within walking distance of TomTom audio so this gives me the perfect excuse for paying them a vist, cheers!

What a great looking CB system

Brilliant. Give James my regards.

Certainly will, he is a nice chap, I get the feeling when he is tired of selling stuff he will convert the place into a museum, he has a great collection of vintage gearā€¦

Great blokes, James and Henry. Probably the best selection of pre-loved Naim gear in the country (world?).

Hope I havenā€™t broken any rules.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.