2 Uniti Core Q’s: Naim Rip Compatibility and Editing Downloads Metadata

Chris,

I don’t even use iTunes/Music safe for adjusting metadata sometimes or making a single ‘disc’ from multiple ones. My M3 takes the files directly (all LAN cabled) from a generic folder in the Mac where I put them after ripping/downloading/decoding, and does the rest. I even experimented, some time ago, eliminating iTunes from my Mac (it can be done!) but then it was useful for the management of the darn metadata. There’s life without iTunes.

Ciao,
M

On my windows machine, I use MP3tag, which I’ve found really good. Most of my metadata editing is done on the Macbook in the lounge, where I’ve been using Metadatics with good results.

It’ll depend on what you want to listen on, but for the metadata to transfer across, you’ll want to use FLAC format, as the Naim rippers use a proprietary XML file format to store the metadata.

…as an aside, I use DBpowerAMP converter to convert my FLAC to MP3 for the iPod. In the iPod world, I’m more concerned about getting a reasonable volume of my collection on the device, so I’ve converted at 192kb/s bitrate.

One day I’ll have a device that’s small and has terabytes of storage, and I’ll be able to have the whole collection at source quality, but until then 192kb/s is reasonable for listening in the car or whilst walking around.

1 Like

Thanks JonoB

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.