2 x Hicap on 282

Be interested to know how you get on. I have a 282 arriving in a couple of weeks and intend to use it with my 1 x HCDR for a while, but might look at other options in the future.
I will then probably have to upgrade the source from ND5XS2 before looking at the amp section again, so don’t think 252 will be on my list for a very long time.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy!

1 Like

I have seen mention of matching before. Not sure how true this is… Perhaps @Richard.Dane might bestow some wisdom here…??

In my case, I have one CB-converted-to-Olive HC and one original Olive HC. Not perhaps ideal, but not so far apart, in years (1986 &1990 respectively). And - I believe sharing the original Naim transformer supplier/design…? (whose name eludes me…)

Yes, it’s desirable to aim for a close match due to the way the two Hicaps power the NAC282. Your two Hicaps should be close enough and most importantly both share the earlier Holden & Fisher transformer - after H&F closed, there were a small number in around '92 with St. Ives transformers, then Nuvotem.

1 Like

Those Hicaps will be Holden and Fisher transformers. When two Hicaps are used there is a split of left/right which doesn’t happen with a single cap.

1 Like

I have an 82 and had one hicap and then added a 2nd hicap. There was a significant uplift. Improved clarity and dynamics. The Supercap 2 took it to another level.

Would have been very happy sticking with 2 hicaps but pleased I made the jump to the Supercap 2.

If you are going for a 252 in the future then the Supercap is a no brainer!

3 Likes

Richard,
Thanks. I knew it was Fisher something…!! When I got the Olive HiCap, I had worked out the years and was fairly sure it was an H&F one - as my CB one was/is. Close enough will do me…!!

2nd HiCap is generally considered a worthwhile upgrade to the 282. :slightly_smiling_face:

There are several threads on this forum about 2x HiCap vs SuperCap. Absolutely no consensus. Do a search; read them and weep! :frowning_face:

Now, to your other point… You know you’ll eventually go for the 252… Get the SuperCap! :smiley:

3 Likes

I wouldn’t think about the 252 so miss the Supercap. I’d be looking at the 552 after the 282. If you have a 282 and looking at spending some money, the Supercap plus a 252 is not far off used 552 money and of course it comes with its own power supply.

3 Likes

There’s a big difference in price between a used 252 with Supercap and a 552. Looking at 10k minimum for a 552, more like 15k for a newish one. 252 used with Supercap around £6k.

My next step up tbf is a 552 ideally and I have the 82 plus Supercap 2. I would seriously consider going for the 252 as a big step up from what I have.

The 252 sounds terrific and is a very fine pre. Not to be dismissed. And of course if you have the Supercap already it means not loosing money on trading in.

I heard one with a Linn LP12 Klimax, NDX2, 555PS DR and 500DR. Sounded mighty fine.

1 Like

Discussion of non Naim cables carrying power is not permitted on this forum.

Np :grin:
As mentioned one you have two Hicaps there is then a channel split hence the need for a matched (or very close) pair.

2 Likes

Yes but the OP would be selling the 282 and a HicapDR.
If you prepared to spend £6k and moving on the 282 and power supply, you basically there!

1 Like

Right, who’s lending me the cash please.

1 Like

Form an orderly queue, here behind @Thedomestique and myself , please…
At least 2 metres apart though… :wink:

Please also have evidence ready, of how many years you have owner Naim equipment. Minimum 10 years - no breaks allowed… :laughing:

1 Like

Two hicaps on Nac 82 was a clear improvement for me. Both were serviced and were closely matched. Better clarity and bottom end. Used hicaps are readily available compared to used supercaps also.

2 Likes

Can I add a question? I took delivery of a NAC 282 and NAPSC plus a HiCap DR last week. It replaces an olive NAC 72 + HiCap. My plan was to sell on the 72 and HiCap but as a parting shot my dealer suggested I might use the olive HiCap instead of the NAPSC. Is this a good idea given the talk about balanced HiCaps earlier in this thread? I might add that the olive HiCap was serviced at the factory a year ago.

1 Like

You can’t use a Hicap instead of a NAPSC, they are different PSUs and the 282 won’t work with the NAPSC.

1 Like

As Guinnless points out the 282 needs the NAPSC to work. I’d stick with the single Hicap DR rather than dual them ( and you can’t officially DR the Olive Hicap)

1 Like

How does the 282/HCDR/250DR compare to the 72/HC/250DR? As others have suggested, I would recommend to stick with one HCDR for your 282, especially when you have just received the 282 and HCDR last week. Perhaps get used to it for 1 to 2 years then consider adding a second Hicap if you feel the itch. Personally I wouldn’t bother adding a second Hicap as the 282/HCDR/250DR is very well balanced on its own. I tried 2 HC on the 282 and 1 HC sounds more balanced and better to my ears.

3 Likes

We should not forget that the 82/HC/250 or 282/HC/250 combo is pretty darn good, as it is - let alone adding a 2nd HiCap or a SuperCap.

Everything… is Relative… :face_with_monocle:

I can like my 82/250 with either one or two Hicaps… :grinning:

3 Likes