200DR Vs 250DR - why such a large price difference?

Hi there,
I own the Uniti Atom HE and want to buy an external amplifier to drive my Buchardt S400 MK II speakers. Here in Australia, the price difference between these 2 amps is $3,200 which seems massive as on paper I think one is 70wpc and the other 80wpc. Is the 250DR worth almost 50% more than the 200DR and if so, what, other than the extra 10wpc, would I be getting? Also love to know f there are other brand power amps that members might have experience with that would work well with the HE?
Hope it’s OK but I’ve posted this same question on the Hi-Fi Corner forum too as wasn’t sure where it belonged
Thanks and happy new year to everyone…

It’s a bit like saying this BMW car goes 10 mph faster than that Ford one. So why bother paying the extra? The 250DR is a much better amplifier all round than the 200DR (incidentally the DR in a 200DR isn’t even used if you add it onto an Atom as it’s only there to power the low end Naim preamps, like the 202).

You can get other amplifiers that work well. For example I use a Quad Artera Stereo power amplifier on the back of my Nova and it’s a great improvement. It costs less than half what a 250DR costs. It sounds fantastic and much better than the bare Nova.

3 Likes

You’ll know where the extra funds went when you get the 250. Much better amp. I tried a 200 with my SN when I first got the SN b/c I wasn’t getting on with it. The 200 wasn’t that much of an improvement. A 200 will likely improve the Atom but I doubt it’ll be much of an improvement. Your end game makes a difference. If you’re ultimately going separates I’d skip the 200.

Being a regulated power amp, the NAP250 is essentially two power amps in one, where one “power amp” regulates the other. As an aside, regulated power amps are rare things, and difficult to do well, which may explain why they are so rare. They are a Naim speciality, and the NAp250 is where they begin. It uses the custom built NA009s transistors that were developed for the Statement amp. The transformer is about twice the size (and weight) of that in the NAP200.

8 Likes

I think to remember that @leatherneck uses now Atom HE with the 250 dr and is happy.

Not at all, as that is two different brands! The question is more like two car models in the same range from a given manufacturer, say the 2L vs 1.6L of car X.

2 Likes

Too right, most Fords are streets ahead of the BMW equivalents.

7 Likes

Yes, I"m using a 250 DR connected to my Atom HE using a cable I had Chord make for me.

I"m so satisfied with the results that \ I’m going to replace my 7 box Naim 500 system with these two boxes. I wouldn’t have tried this with an amp of less capability than the NAP 250.

8 Likes

Yeah right? Whatever.

1 Like

Very interesting, don’t want to go too far off-topic but I wonder if anyone made a comparison between Atom HE and NAC-N 272?

1 Like

:joy:

That’s quite an endorsement. Anyone know how the AtomHE/NAP250DR stands up against the Nova/250DR? I can vouch for the latter as I own it and it’s great, but the former?

4 Likes

I just paired my Nova with a Perreaux Prisma 350 bought second hand. It’s 600W in to 4 ohm. Looks a little strange size wise but the improvement is obvious and large. Without losing any of the Naim goodness. Previously the Nova struggled with the Neat XL6 with the sound hardening at moderate volumes. Very very impressed with the Perreaux which costs about the same as a Nova new.
Incidentally tried an Auralic Altair G2.1 in the same system- XLR straight in to the Amp. Obviously looking for a 272 type system, but frankly didn’t work. A bit of a step up in detail and openness but there was a hardness to the sound that I couldn’t take. Rimshots and cymbals almost hurt they were so incisive and sharp. Putting a Nova back was bliss.

3 Likes

I’ve own both (my 200 wasn’t DRd though), both are excellent amps but the 250 is just in another league imo. If you can afford the 250 go for it.

2 Likes

Has anyone converted a Nap 250 DR to improve the stereo in their Ford Fiesta? Just asking……………….

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply to me - much appreciated. Definitely plenty of food for thought. Speakers don’t arrive until February so got time to listen to a few of the combinations hopefully.

If budget is an issue have you considered a pre owned 250.2? The last of the non DR 250s?

They’re at least better looking than the latest crop of BMWs. And I say that as a BMW driver.

4 Likes

The after market for Naim gear in Australia is very small but yes, I’d consider definitely. Thanks

Apologies. I tend to assume that most on here are UK based or European perhaps.
I had wondered if there is an easy way to identify where we live either in our profile or avatar.
OK, so you don’t have access to used naim that UK people expect. Which leaves you in the hands of buying new and perhaps unheard. Bugger.