2016 250 with dr upgrade system build

I’m glad your happy, its always nice when someone else appreciates your upgrade and suddenly understands why you spent the extra cash. Whatever you do next try your best to demo any alterations before spending money as what is considered better by one person may not be an improvement to you. Don’t feel pressured to spend money if you are happy though I know that can be hard being on this forum lol

1 Like

The OP hasn’t listened to anyone’s advice and has blown money on a 272 and XPS and is now getting a separate streamer with the ND5XS2. None of it makes sense to us, but the OP is happy. The 272 needs to go and get an 82 or 282 and HiCap DR.

As has been stated a 282 HiCap DR, 250DR with an NDX2 would have been the classic system to buy!

Obviously the 272 XPS 250 will sound very good but the 282 HiCap DR will take it to another level. You are now doubling up on streamers. I really don’t know why you made this decision. We all tried to tell you. But No! You went ahead and did it anyhow!

1 Like

This is great advice. But the OP doesn’t take advice!

Dan I appreciate your concern, I really do. I’m ok with the purchase as it allows me to use it in several different ways. I’m very aware that its not the “ideal” preamp, however its a very nice match for the 250DR and I’ve had a Bryston 135 with a meridian dac in the past and this combo blows it away. I also has much better dimensionality than the atom or the atom w/ 250 DR. I’m into the combination for 1/3 the price of new. I’m going to test it as a preamp with a blue sound node 2 that I already own.
I have to say, I believe you folks when you say a 282 or a 252 is the way to go. I’m ready to reach a little more deeply into my pockets to put the ideal system together. Also keep in mind that I started off wanting just an atom for my tunetots. SN3 ND5XS2 will be tested next week. I also think its possible that this group sells the 272 a little short as a preamp. How would you say it ranks vs SN3 ND5XS2 combo?
Its possible that my main system will be 282 NAP250DR and ND5XS2 as well. I could not find a 282- I did look! I also do think that naim will have a 272 replacement, and I think that could be next. I also think that naim should build a “SuperNOVA”!
Dan-M I have not purchased the XPS yet. But my finger is on the trigger ! Notably, the 272 seems to be the only Naim piece that people say “NOOOOO” about and I’m not quite sure why?

1 Like

ok, I heard you Johnny sidemouth. I’ll be bidding the 202 shortly. Searching…

I’m getting my nd5xs2 sn3 system next week, I personally preferred it to 202/napsc/200 combo, I didn’t try it with the 250. I’ll be interested to hear your opinions on how stuff compares you may decide you like your 272 best who knows.

1 Like

The 272 555PS 300DR combo was all the rage a few years ago. The 272 is the old streaming platform. As a preamp the 272 doesn’t compare well to a 282 or 252. Some would say the 202 is better as a preamp.

You’ve pulled the trigger now. In my view buy once and buy right.

If you were keeping the 272 with the 250DR and buying the XPSDR then that would make sense. And that would be your complete system.

What doesn’t make sense is adding an extra streamer with the 272 as you are doubling up. If you want the latest streamer it would be better to buy a Naim preamp rather than the 272.

If you want the latest streaming device then with the 250DR the natural system is as follows:

NDX2 with 555PSDR or XPSDR
282 with HiCap or 252 with Supercap DR
250DR

The ND5XS2 is made to fit the Nait XS3. Be aware it cannot be upgraded with a power supply but can be with a different DAC.

I just don’t want you to waste your money. If you are enjoying it as it is maybe just keep the 272 with 250DR. Add the XPSDR and leave it at that.

2 Likes

Thanks, That does make some sense. Keep in mind im into the 272 and 250dr for 1500 less than a nova, i really was not aware when i started this how much difference a nice preamp makes. Im somewhat astonished. So the way im looking at this is ive got a couple paths to go down still. I have an old meridian amp that im going to try out with the 272 as system two with the bowers. And….that leaves me the 250dr for the main room to pair with…252 and 555 are out of my budget. And my primary listening is thru roon.

So let me just say that the Bluesound being used as Roon endpoint and digital optical out/digital in to the 272…Is very very nice, I’m guessing you’ve heard better, but I have not in my home (meridian, revel, nad, linn, over the 25 years- I’ve never gone to the top of any of those brands, and have bought the meridian stuff very cheaply). I’m next going to run a taste test against the atom alone. So far I’m ok with the 272 purchase (I’m a trader by profession, so I have no problem “trading”). To be clear I’m running the 272 with the 250DR still, no ps upgrade yet. Hold on, a mouse trap just went off in the crawl space above me (240 year old house in the US).

Yes im looking forwar to hearing about your new system. Can u describe why u liked it over the 200 202 pre combo

So this is based on what I heard on a demo afternoon at my dealers using some spendor a1 speakers with ks1 cables. We swapped back and forth between the two to check what we were hearing- overall it just seemed as though the sn3 had more/better bass and a more cohesive sound, also the 202 combo added a harshness to one of my tracks that wasn’t there with the sn3. My dealer agreed he would pick the sn3 personally based on what we heard. It could be that with say a hicap dr or a better streamer I might have felt different or it could be I just particularly like sn3 sound. Either way I’m excited to see what my new system can do.

Very surprised you rated the sn3 over the 202/200, were both sn3 & 202/200 newish and burnt in? Looking for why an integrated amp with internal transformer pollution might trump separates whose pre is free from transformer and power amp noise

2 Likes

A 240 year old house? In the us? A tee pee one presumes?

2 Likes

I doesn’t surprise me. I had the 202/200 in the past. I took another dimension and refinement when I added an Hicap. Without, the combo could be a bit edgy sometimes.

3 Likes

The sn3 was a dealer demo unit and the 202/napsc/200 were preloved trade ins so I assume all were burnt in. I’m not the only one on here who has rated the sn3 over a 202 combo, I figure that says more about how good the sn3 is than anything bad about the 202 combo.

1 Like

7 Likes

Is that a house from 1782? That is amazing!

1 Like

You are right about others on this forum rating pretty much anything over the 202/200 but I don’t get it, I can’t comprehend why many write off the 202/200, a super combo offering full scale high quality hi fi and capable of driving most speakers. I heard a demo sn3 and 202/200 both fronting ndx2 powering pmc twenty.5.24i speakers and the separates were significantly better that the integrated amp - the sn3 sounded good but nowhere near the 202/200

2 Likes

Yes actually 1770 or so. It predates the battle of Ridgefield which was a modest success for Tryon and his forces, however galvanized the Connecticut Militia. They say a judge lived here and british sympathizers were hung in front of my house.

7 Likes

Im happy to report that the 272 alone with 250dr is the best streaming preamp combo of the 272 alone, the 272 with blusound digital in and 250dr, the atom alone, the atom as preamp with 250dr , and atom as source for 272 and 250dr. It seems to aquit itself as the best combination that i havE now- which is no surprise to anyone “hear”. While i agree that the 282 will probably be an improvement ill have to buy another source- It seems as though the engineers at naim and the members of this esteemed group know what they are doing. Is there a 12 step program for us?

6 Likes