202/200 vs Nait xs2/3

The XS3 would be fine with the NDX2; source first and all that. But rather than getting the XS3 and then trading for the SN3 - the natural partner for the NDX2 and a better proposition all round - might it be worth borrowing the difference now and going straight for the SN3? You may have ideological objections to that of course but with interest rates low and likely to rise it could make sense. Drive a deal with the dealer and get it all over and done with. For what it’s worth I’ve shed my power supply for my NDX2 and am getting on fine with the bare NDX2/SN3 combination. Link them with a wire, enable system automation and they work together like a dream.

2 Likes

We’ll it sounds like your commited
Now to an integrated.

Something else to consider is to pick ipa dirt cheap olive Nait 3r and then save for SN3… it will sound great as a stopgap and it a pretty low outlay in the short term which would let you save a bit quicker.

I had. Had a play around with a Rega aethos the other day and was pretty impressed. So there are definitel credible nonNaim options in the XS3 price range too

1 Like

NAIT 3 is basically a NAC92 & NAP90 in one box :stuck_out_tongue:

So seconded. I loved mine.

You don’t half move fast sometimes Mark!

What @anon4489532 says, the XS3 is a fine amp BUT I think you’ll always be thinking about how much more the SN3 would deliver. An alternative might be to seek out a 2nd hand SN2.

I’d be looking for anything that contains DR. You want Naim’s latest thinking IMO.

Blimey, Nigel, it’s hard to keep up with all the changes in Emsworth! I hope this latest one was not prompted by any adverse change in your health.

Keep enjoying the music,

Roger

1 Like

My recommendation would have been to keep the 200DR and use it to power a 202, but I see you have moved on. An integrated amp will make for a nice uncluttered 2 box system, and it will still be a nice step up from the Atom.
Once you have the NDX2 I would be tempted to use it straight into your old power amp for now, assuming it’s able to drive your speakers it might give you some time to plan your final move at your leisure instead of buying another amp as a short term step.

+1 for second hand SN2

1 Like

The problem is that me and my wife have recently discussed and agreed upon a plan to drastically reduce the balance on the mortgage over the next 10 years. We will then have lots of spare money for these type of things but borrowing is really not an option right now. That’s why I have had to sell my other kit to take advantage of the NDX2 deal. I can definitely save for a SN3. It may take me a little while but it will be worth it.

7 Likes

That makes complete sense. We got rid of our mortgage 10 years ago and it’s a good feeling when it’s gone. The SN3 is really nice, and will be something to look forward to.

3 Likes

I would have kept the Nap200 and bought a pre-loved 282 as suggested by several previous posters…

Bought my 282 earlier this year for less than £2400 in mint condition from a dealer. Did then spend as much on 2 HCDRs though. :open_mouth:

Or you could do what I did - bought a new XS2 and traded it against a new SN3 a year later and only lost £50 on the XS2. SN3 a really significant improvement over the XS2- especially with my Neat speakers that need the bass taming

1 Like

Pretty sure this will be my path too. :+1:t2: Although a used xs2/3

2 Likes

I can barely afford the NDX2. Let alone a 282. Also I don’t want any more than 2 boxes. I’m sure your gigantic stack of boxes sounds awesome but it’s not for me… The thought of that amount of cables and all those units left turned on just makes me queasy.

1 Like

Nowt wrong with a XS3 (or a XS2, I’m sure)

7 Likes

I’m sure it doesn’t sound half as good as your home made speakers via the amplifier you don’t currently have…

Ooo a little sensitive are we?

No, but if you dish it out you rather invite a response. I’m unsure why you felt it necessary to deride my - sensible - suggestion when other members have far more ‘gigantic’ set-ups than mine…

I was just being honest. I didn’t deride your system. How can I deride it? If you like it then that’s all that counts, don’t let it offend you. All I said was that I’m sure it sounds great but it’s not for me. Then gave the reason being all the cables and units having to be left switched on. I tried to say that I didn’t want to go down the multiple boxes route earlier. Peace my man :v:t2: