202/200DR to SN3?

Great thread btw firstly.
The main contention so far seems to be sacrificing system performance over system complexity. I think it’s a generally accepted conclusion that if you split out the electronics from the power source the system performs better but i don’t sign up to some peoples conclusion that you can’t enjoy musically a system based on fewer boxes from Naim or otherwise.
The compromise in reducing system complexity especially with the products available from Naim is the overall system performance however you’ll find a lot of folks here more than happy with what they find with a Nova or a Supernait based setup, myself included!
I’ve been up and down this well trodden ladder a few times over the years and having found myself at a two box system based on a SN3 + NDX2 don’t find it lacking or leaving me crying myself to sleep at not being sat in front of a 5/6/7/8 box system doing the same job.
If you’re intent on keeping the NDX2 source (very good, love mine) then an XPS DR will be the icing on the digital source cake no mistake there. Then comes the tough call, does integrating the amplification lead to a solution that will leave you sad and miserable or will it be a wonderful musical partner on your listening journey?
The best advice here is to take a listen and ideally do so for a longer period of time with a loan unit at home in the place you ordinarily listen to music, not a dealer demo room for 10 minutes with a mask on basically.
Having also myself owned and enjoyed a 202/200 system as well as most of the NAIT’s over the years, you may well find the simplicity and lack of clutter allow you to focus on just sitting back and enjoying what it has to offer you.
The reality here is that if you take the “up” route, you certainly won’t solve your system complexity quandary, will spend a lot of money and time swapping boxes in and out and whilst you’ll get a system that performs measurably better, it may not be the best fit for your lifestyle and overall system needs, sometimes a compromise is acceptable and not a sign of failure in your ongoing Naim journey.
There are a lot of comments already about how inferior and inadequate a Supernait is vs a 202/200 or how you won’t be happy until you’ve spent £/€/$30k on improving what you have today, but without taking a serious listen and working out how those options fit in to your lifestyle you won’t know the answer that is right for you and your budget.
I’d be inclined to take a serious listen to a SN3 paired with your NDX2, if you have the appetite and budget an XPS DR will potentially offer you all the system you need and in reality is a very high performance and capable system to focus on.
As a side note, I recently looked at a one box solution for a second AV room setup and looked at a number of options including another Supernait, a Nova, Atom and various AV multichannel amps to pair with a 2 channel front end integrated or integrated + streamer.
I ended up getting a Linn Selekt DSM as it ticks all the boxes and more and is modular to allow me to grow it from a simple 2 channel integrated streamer much like a Nova, to being an AV hub and 5.1 capable one box system, so it is possible!

5 Likes

Indeed. I will plan for a demod. I can accept than less boxes will be a compromise so it is a question of asking myself if this less is a more long term?

3 Likes

It’s a personal journey and to my mind based a lot on lifestyle and commitments beyond sitting and listening to music. I guess my main point here was that you can get a lot from a little when it comes to Naim systems as I’ve found over the years and whilst there’s always a setup that will perform better to do that will always require more boxes and allocation of space to accommodate them.
I’ve been enjoying what I currently have a lot and don’t find myself with that nagging feeling that I need to keep adding to it to enjoy it sufficiently. Knowing what works best and where to stop is perhaps the hardest part of this journey!
Certainly be keen to hear your listening assessments as they happen and how you feel they compare relative to where you are today with your system, being able to just sit and enjoy it is a nice point to reach however you get there!

2 Likes

Well said Mr.M! Can you be my muse from time to time? :smile:

2 Likes

Definitely demo. I have a 3 full size box limit. I used to own a system with better amplification 272/XPS/250DR but when I heard a more source focused system using the new NDX and 555 streamers, the upgrade in enjoyment was more than enough to compensate for the loss of drive that the move from 250 to Supernait 3 entailed.
Interested to hear what you think.

3 Likes

@engjoo If you do switch to a SN3 from my recent experience with the ProAc speakers, you won’t have any issue with them. SN3 powering D2R’s here! My current system is very similar to yours.

1 Like

…and I think you need your hearing checked because the XPS DR had an amazing uplift in sound improvement when added to the NDX2. I believe yours is the only comment I have seen that has ever stated otherwise. It is expensive but definitely worth updating the source prior to updating the amplification.

JMHO - YMMV

5 Likes

202/200 > SN3 = sideway and slightly down. don’s do it.

1 Like

Selling the 202/200 and buying a new SN3, just for a better appearance of 3 boxes vs 4, is not, IMHO, a judicious choice.
The downgrade in sound will not be big, but real however.
And the waste of money real too.
Just replacing the 202 by 282, and it will be 4 superb boxes system.
Anyway, in every case and choice, the enjoyment of music will be still the same, after some days of accommodation to the new sound.

2 Likes

Absolutely, Naim Community discounts apply.

1 Like

Nope didn’t do a thing for me and I went with the money and the intention on buying one.
Was a more noticeable improvement adding the Fraim in my opinion and most definitely the SL interconnect.
I don’t want to be “listening” for an improvement on an audition, I want to “hear” an obvious improvement from the outset and for me the XPS DR did not meet this criteria.

I shall try again in time with my 282/250 however…

1 Like

Good to know! Fraim is next on my list. I’m looking forward to hearing an uplift. I may have to stack my streamer/dac temporarily however.

I think most on her would agree with this. The 282 gives improvement in every department, even better with an HCDR

2 Likes

Full Fraim made a massive improvement to my system. Was very expensive to accommodate 9 boxes.

Once you have it though, you won’t look back.

2 Likes

Well, in any case the SN2 and NDX2 is a great combo and I’m sure a SN3 can and should be all the amp you need unless you have lots of money and super big speakers. You don’t need a tower of boxes and a Fraim to enjoy an excellent Naim setup.

I started with the SN2 and NDX2, then added the power supplies and headphone amp by modifying the cabinet. Sounds too good to change.

10 Likes

And the earlier 2 box setup:

2 Likes

Mike - smart looking speakers you have there- what are they? thanks

1 Like

Thanks, they’re the Totem Forest Signatures in the gloss cherry finish.

1 Like

I’m at six boxes and it’s starting to do my head in; such a ridiculous looking thing IMO. In hindsight I wish I’d gone down a different path. Tempted by the Dan D’agostino integrateds.

2 Likes

Actually I would not expect moving to SN3 to be an upgrade. The question is how much do I loose and do they matters given that I have gained in decluttering my space.