2020 Price increase

Has the 2020 price list been released yet?

Thanks in advance

Trev

If you are referring to Naim pricing in the UK, except in extraordinary circumstances, traditionally this is revised around either 1st April or 1st May.

And surely the B word will have an influence this time around?

If Trev is a Rev then perhaps he could ask for divine intervention in the price increase decision and save us all a bit of cash…

Bloody great increase?

1 Like

There was no price increase on Classic boxes last year. I think we’ll be lucky to see that two years in a row.

I thought the increase was from Jan 1st - unless things have changed…

As I recall, it’s changed to 1st Jan for the last couple of years or so.

You may well be right there Chris.

I certainly can’t promise that my memory is flawless, but for anyone considering a major purchase, it would be worth checking.

1 Like

It was certainly 1 January in 2017, 2018 and this year. April Fools’ Day was the day for many many years, back when we had inflation.

Indeed, we haven’t seen proper inflation (and the resultant high interest rates) for many years now…and the BoE seems to struggle to even reach the recommended inflation target… let’s hope we keep it that way… otherwise I really would feel the pain for all those people with high mortgages… unless they can survive the storm for a decade and then they are better off.

All that’s achieved by low interest rates is higher house prices as a result of cheap loans. It really doesn’t help anyone apart from the government. There are far more people with savings than mortgages - a ratio of seven to one if I recall - and savings interest is woeful. If interest rates are really low the central bank has little room to respond to a crisis. Base rates at somewhere between 2.5% and 5% seems to be accepted as the right sort of range. Certainly not 0.5% or 0.75%.

I remember saving up to buy an A&R A60. It took ages. I appeared at the shop with the cash in my pocket only to find the price had risen to £152!! Luckily the dealer took pity on me and let me have it for £140. I was 17 at the time, 1978. That was inflation.

2 Likes

Indeed in November 1978, the UK bank rate was 12.5%… now that would be a challenge for many today… and a year later it rose to 17%… that is what significant inflation did, but of course those with savings I’m sure did rather well, as well as those who could keep their mortgages and not default and have to give back their property … but it was I suspect the many who lost their houses along with many pensioners who suffered.

BTW I am not sure ultra low interest rates helps governments, or more accurately the treasury, as it makes longer term borrowing to GDP ratios unattractive… inflation helps governments by diluting this ratio assuming your economy is not broken.

It’s different for the U.S. and we pay more than you all do in the U.K. but the latest price list for us is from May 28 2018, so I suspect we’ll get price increases in spring 2020. Just a guess.

I’m looking for a used 300DR and now my dealer is trying to tempt me to get a new one, but I am resisting that. They are OOS at retail and rather hard to come by secondhand. :frowning:

I’m tired of waiting for my dream system, so I’ve ordered (or about to) a new ndx2 to add to my 282 hcdr/250dr. My original 200/202 which I did buy new and just sits in boxes will help to make it a more manageable purchase. Probably going to go from lingo 2 to 4 also. I don’t think Brexit is going to help with U.S. pricing and delivery - but then nobody seems to know. However , it is as rare as the do-do bird for prices to decrease.

I’m sure you will enjoy your new acquisitions. I had 282/HCDR/NDX2 and recently acquired a XPS and SuperCap (both DR) to upgrade it. Those really stepped up the game. Now I want a 300DR for my current-demanding speakers, to get a better grip on large scale orchestral music I like to play.

Rock bottom interest rates make increased borrowing more affordable, to either fund investment or to finance a current account deficit. It enables governments to offer increased investment and tax cuts simultaneously - just look at what we are being today. Whether it’s a great idea is not for this thread of course.

Indeed but on a national government basis, then one would borrow against global markets/issue bonds etc. But clearly if global lenders have no confidence in your economy, then your treasury loan interest rates / repay rate may well be higher, or considerably higher… and of course in the UK we are very sensitive to this to due to the amount of our current borrowing, although ratio to GDP has massively improved.

But yes at a consumer, small business level, low domestic interest rates allows cheap credit/borrowing.

We’re not far off deflation here, which would further delay upgrades…