2021 - Prince Discography

Absolutely agree with you!
I truly adore Prince, I own everything made by Him (bootleg as well), watched and listened live Unfortunately only two times (I miss his solo piano at Opéra in Paris cancelled after terrorist attack in France and Belgium in 2015…).
Hence, I really follow this topic with truly love and passion!

David

2 Likes

1987 (it is part of « Sign O the Times+Crystal ball+the family+Camille+lovesexy » recordings), offically in stores in 1994 in his « tafkap » period in order to get faster the conclusion of the contract with WB

Lenny Kravitz is one of them…

2 Likes

in 90s I strongly suggest to listen to « the vault - old sale for friends », the acoustic « the truth » , but above all « the gold experience »
Then I truly love « the rainbow children » (with his return to « Prince » nickname) in 2001

1 Like

I will try to follow the OP suggestion to listen to an album per week to find out.

1 Like

Right said… Rainbow Children is a great album, as like as the relevant tour resulting in one of the best live album, One Nite Alone… :+1:

2 Likes

Indeed, :heart:

3 Likes

Prince knew how good he was from the get go. Just listened to the For You album again. His musicianship is masterful on this debut release. Check out the ‘trade-offs’ between bass, drums & lead guitar on ‘I’m Yours’, it builds to a fantastic ‘climax’ :smiley: play it LOUD!!

3 Likes

Welcome aboard to one and all. If you are following the albums, the plan is to post up thoughts on the last album and then a preview of next week’s every Sunday. Would be great to hear other people’s opinions. Hoping to really broaden out things as we go along to include albums he produced and played on as well, as well as tracks he wrote for others etc so lots of advice needed for these tangents as I’m no expert on his work.

3 Likes

Great project. Love it.

Once you’re done let us know which album has the best SQ (only if you can recall)

Week 2 (Jan 8th): ‘Prince’ - 1979 - Comment: not really feeling this one, the first track’i wanna be your lover’, is my favourite by some way, it’s a pure pop song. ‘Feel for you’ is interesting, if only to show me i much prefer Chaka khan‘s version! Not a memorable album for me.

stats:
albums finished: 2
Total Songs: 18

Week 3 (Jan 11th): ‘Dirty mind’ - 1980 - (listening Format - CD - Hifi - Sony D-88)

“Bambi” is the standout track for me :+1:

1 Like

I will give ‘Bambi’my runners-up prize :grinning:

I my opinion, the slower songs are the weakest by far, ‘with you’ is not great!

1 Like

Really looking forward to ‘dirty mind’, it’s one of my favourites…

1 Like

“Why you wanna treat me so bad?” Reminds me of my first crush. (she didn’t feel the same)

1 Like

Probably my favorite album of his earlier stuff. Really put him on the map for me back in the day

Ha! Reminds me of ‘the beautiful ones’ on Purple rain. The young lady in question when rebuffing my advances let me down gently but saying no, but if we were both single at 40 she would marry me (we were about 14 at the time) talk about hedging your bets…

1 Like

A bit of house keeping. There is of course a very extensive catalogue of music videos which need to be covered over the next year.

To bring this up to date, his first videos were released for the ‘Prince’ album, namely for the tracks ‘ I wanna be your lover’ and ‘why do you treat me so bad’.

Watching these has actually helped me appreciate the album more, they show what a young man he was, still finding his look and sound. Maybe I’m guilty of judging the album knowing that he would go on to write Sign o’the times rather than appreciating this was a young guy who has just written his first 2 albums in a year.

Anyway - Updating stats

stats:
albums finished: 2
Total Songs: 18
Music videos: 2

2 Likes

Week 3 (Jan 11th): ‘Dirty mind’ - 1980 - Comment: 40 years after its release and still this album has the ability to shock. In tracks such as ‘Dirty mind’, ‘Do it all night’, ‘Head’ and ‘Sister’, it feels like Prince is ramping up the intensity with each track, each outdoing the last until you get to ‘Sister’, which is quite simply outrageous. Although the lyrics are clearly tongue in cheek, I cannot think of any other mainstream artist who has got even close to these sort of lyrics. What the record company must have thought is unknown, they must have thought of pulling the plug on the album, its that shocking. Crucially, they are all great tracks, so they are not dominated by the lyrics.

‘When you were mine’, is a bit of light relief as a more straight laced pop song which could easily fit into sign o’the times, with ‘Partyup’ continuing Prince’s ability to give album tracks a live performance feel, you just know he has performed 20 minute live versions of this track.

Special mention to the track ‘Head’, in isolation its a fantastic track, the synth solo is unbelievable. Laughably, it’s one of the only tracks on the album not flagged as explicit on tidal.

Dirty Mind is a great album, one to return to again and again.
The accompanying music videos for ‘Dirty mind’ and ‘Uptown’, clear both records during a single session show Prince in iconic thong, stockings and brown mac.

stats:
albums finished: 3
Total Songs: 26
Videos: 4

Week 4 (Jan 18th): ‘Controversy’ - 1981 - (listening Format - CD/tidal)

4 Likes