2023 Giro D'Italia

All one can say about the outcome is; it was a fair fight and the better man won.

Geraint certainly made a fist of it but the result is conclusive enough :neutral_face: :wales:

4 Likes

Sunday 28th May 2023

Stage 21 : Roma - Roma (126km)

The sprinters big day has arrived!

5 Likes

Thanks for your thread and updates. Look forward to the Tour de France thread. :+1:

1 Like

Turning 37 may have done for Geraint! Such a cruel way to end the Giro, Geraint just running out of puff on the final competitive stage. Turned out to be a great Giro despite the number of elite cyclists dropping out. Giau the other day looked even less friendly than I remember it with plenty of snow not yet melted - I have that to look forward to at the beginning of July in the Maratona (if I don’t bottle it and dodge the bullet again!).

Peter

3 Likes

Geraint did say a few days ago that he ‘okay’ but not 100% …meaning he isn’t at the peak of his form. Meanwhile Primož obviously is on form, plus his advantage of being 6kg lighter than Geraint which would have played a part on the power to weigh ratio on the ITT climb.

I thought it a bit mean on the organisers part to have a very hilly ITT the day after two back to back mountain stages. Yesterday was raced on very tired legs, and regardless to all the top GC guys being in the same boat so to speak, the other favourites to include the national time trial champions didn’t seem to bother to perform well, which may translate into not really having a good enough cause or purpose to bang it hard on tired legs.

If the hilly ITT was after a rest-day (or even after a flat stage) the results would probably have been far more interesting, plus a rest-day beforehand can be used to check-out the time trial course route.

7 Likes

I understand Primoz got up at 6.30 am yesterday and rode that hill. Chapeau to him. I got the impression from the commentary he was the only one that did. :sleeping::sleeping:

2 Likes

Not bad though for a 37 year old to finish the Giro 2nd on GC. Chapeau G but no cigar unfortunately! Doubtless his recovery time will be longer so I’m not surprised after the previous stages, the fact that Primoz was able to do the same and trial the hill in the morning as well is probably a great indicator of the age difference.

4 Likes

I was hoping that Thomas would hold it together in the TT but, as others have said, it was obviously a mountain too far and age must have been a factor in that. What is worth noting though, I think, is that Thomas was second in that TT, ahead of many younger than him, so although he looked as if he was struggling he was quick. It was just that Roglic’s TT was outstandingly quick.

5 Likes

Many thanks, Debs - yet again - for keeping us up to date with all the news and results.

3 Likes

The show’s no over yet, the final stage 21 starts in a couple of hours :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

Anyone want to guess who the lucky sprinter will be?

3 Likes

There are no non-starters; 125 riders on today’s Start Line.

<>

Maglia Rosa :red_square: Primož Roglič (Slo) Jumbo-Visma

Maglia Azzurra :blue_square: Thibaut Pinot (Fra) Groupama-FDJ

Maglia Ciclamino :purple_square: Jonathan Milan (Ita) Bahrain-Victorious

Maglia Bianca :white_large_square: JoĂŁo Almeida (Por) UAE Team Emirates

<<>>

Stage 21 is underway!

:it:

2 Likes

Absolute flippin brilliant!!! I won’t say any more :blue_heart:

4 Likes

Whoop Whoop! What an amazing way for Cav to grab his place in the record books against such a spectacular Roman background and with a mega boost lead out by another ancient monument - Geraint Thomas. Incredible gesture to an old pal on the world stage. Brilliant stuff.

Peter

5 Likes

STAGE 21 RESULT - ROME > ROME

1. Mark Cavendish (GBr) Astana Qazaqstan, in 2-48-26
  2. Alek Kirsch (Lux) Trek-Segafredo
  3. Filippo Fiorelli (Ita) Green Project-Bardiani CSF-Faizanè
  4. Alberto Dainese (Ita) DSM
  5. Alexander Krieger (Ger) Alpecin-Deceuninck
  6. Jake Stewart (GBr) Groupama-FDJ
  7. Fernando Gaviria (Col) Movistar
  8. Michael Matthews (Aus) Jayco-AlUla
  9. Arne Marit (Bel) IntermarchĂŠ - Circus - Wanty
  10. Campbell Stewart (Aus) Jayco-AlUla, all same time

<>

GIRO D’ITALIA 2023 GENERAL CLASSIFICATION AFTER STAGE 21

1. Primož Roglič (Slo) Jumbo-Visma, in 85-29-02
  2. Geraint Thomas (GBr) Ineos Grenadiers at 14s
  3. JoĂŁo Almeida (Por) UAE Team Emirates at 1-15
  4. Damiano Caruso (Ita) Bahrain-Victorious at 4-40
  5. Thibaut Pinot (Fra) Groupama-FDJ) at 5-43
  6. Thymen Arensman (Ned) Ineos Grenadiers at 6-05
  7. Eddie Dunbar (Irl) Jayco-AlUla at 7-30
  8. Andreas Leknessund (Ned) DSM at 7-31
  9. Lennard Kämna (Ger) Bora-Hansgrohe at 7-46
  10. Laurens De Plus (Bel) Ineos Grenadiers at 9-08
5 Likes

Debs

As others have already said, thanks very much for pulling all the stats together and sharing on here throughout the Giro. Really appreciate it.

Peter

15 Likes

Agreed, many thanks for the regular updates.

Disappointing overall result personally. I don’t like GC races decided essentially by one day. Like the old Tour de France course where the best Time Trailer always won. But I suspect Roglic would have won whatever once Remco withdrew. He trained for this specific course even if he did ride a mountain bike :smile:

Great seeing Thomas lead out Cav for the win on the final stage.

2 Likes

As tours go i think it was good in that it remained unpredictable who was going to win until the penultimate stage, would have preferred the final shoot-out stage to be a mountain summit finish event but can’t have it all. But lots of jersey swopping (of all colours) during the tour, no dominant team, a good fight out with the KOM too.

Covid was an awful intrusion, and must be so galling for the competitors to get suddenly excluded after all the training and prep’, …made me wonder what would happen if the Malia Rose was tested + for covid just before Stage 21, probably wouldn’t feel right for whoever was no.2 to put that jersey on, but heck lucky that didn’t happen! :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Yes. I thought for a while that Thomas had the beating of Roglic. But perhaps he was just biding his time. Especially given he won after dropping his chain.

There was some great racing throughout. COVID did some damage. Wasn’t it the smallest number finishing in years?

97 finished in 2003 - must have been crash injures back then.
Edit: …along with 35 riders OTL (Outside Time Limit) on mountain stage 18

Year Participants No. of dropouts Day of first dropout View
2023 176 51 4 view
2022 176 27 3 view
2021 184 41 2 view
2020 176 43 1 view
2019 176 34 1 view
2018 176 27 1 view
2017 197 36 1 view
2016 198 42 3 view
2015 197 34 2 view
2014 198 42 1 view
2013 207 39 4 view
2012 198 41 6 view
2011 207 48 3 view
2010 198 60 2 view
2009 198 29 2 view
2008 198 57 1 view
2007 198 57 1 view
2006 198 48 4 view
2005 197 44 2 view
2004 169 29 3 view
2003 170 73 1 view
1 Like

Oops. Sounds like the autobus broke down. I imagine there were lots of angry riders on that day