2023 Upgrades Complete

Last 12 months I’ve moved from 272/555PSDR/300DR to 552/NDS/555PSDR/500 and just finished off with a Super Lumina DIN DIN. Mind-blowing (and expensive) experience. With that said the former setup was superb too for far less money. Feel pretty much done for now. Music enjoyment every minute the system is playing music :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Traded In my NDX2 into ND555 (with one 555PSDR). Got a good deal on ND555 and letting go of my NDX2 with zero losses.

Also replaced my Technics SL1210 MK7 with a set of Audio Note TT2 with AN IQ3 cartridge, AN M1 phono stage and power supply replacing Ifi Zen Phono

Focal Sopra N1 upgraded to Focal Sopra N2

Second system, added active speaker PSI Audio A21-M and plan to replace my Uniti Star with NSC222 (or better 333/332?)

3 Likes

This year I replaced my Xerxes X with a Vertere MG-1. I’m also using phono boards within my 52 after rediscovering them on the suggestion of my dealer. I still have my NDS and am in no big rush to change it at the moment. Although with the MG-1 the gap in my view has widened still further between the two sources, the NDS is still a great source and I listen to it almost as much as the turntable (with bubbleupnp) to listen to new music.

2 Likes

I recently added a second 555dr power supply to my nd555.
The improvement in performance was more than I expected.
Everything improved such that it was like opening up a window on the music.
I was hesitant to spend the $ but now have zero regrets
Anyone who owns an nd555 should seriously consider this upgrade if funds allow
David

5 Likes

Quite a year for upgrades, in our house …

Running two systems, with changes in both.

January
Upgraded ZENmini mk3 to latest S specification.
By July, with additional benefit of more resources, (more RAM and SSD server ) started running Roon Core on the ZM and added long wished for Roon UI during 2023.

March
For digital first system : Following launch of NC200, from January to March, took a close look at NC 200 series and considered 222 + NC250.
During 2023, went from CD5 XS → DC1 → nDAC → NAIT XS2 + HC2.
To
ND5 XS2 → DC1 → ( with existing CD5 XS → DC1 → nDAC ) → HiLine DIN → SN3 + HCDR.

Started by adding SN3 + HCDR in March.

July
For analogue / vinyl first system : Trigger was launch of NC300, with NVC TT phono becoming available. Considered Naim NC items NVC TT + NPX TT, as well as SuperLine + HiCap DR and Rega Aura. For a reference point, we already had the marvellous Rega Aria at home. In the end, preferred and added SuperLine (c/w Z Foil Airplugs) + HCDR.

July
Last piece of the jigsaw was ND5 XS2 coming on board. A b’day treat. Also, finally bought into a Qobuz subscription. (Access to more music than we know what to do with).

ND5 XS2 → DC1 → nDAC is an entirely satisfactory digital source combination. Recommended, if you don’t mind two boxes.

Both vinyl and digital format(s) are sounding superb in our house.

Wouldn’t say it is “complete”. Not quite yet. But it’s getting there. :wink:

Now looking forward, 2024 is for new floor standing speakers.
Then, maybe 2025 or later, a PSU for the nDAC

Patience is said to be a virtue…

8 Likes

For me this was quite a year for upgrades as well.

In my main system I swapped out the NAP200 for a NAP250DR, a Bluesound node for a ND5XS2 and a Hicap DR for a Supercap DR. In addition, I added Stack Audio Auva 70s to isolate my Evoke 30s from a wooden suspended floor. Now a very happy listener.

Because I could not bring myself to selling the swapped out bits, I used them to build a second system with a NAC202 and re-use my old Technics SL1700 TT, for which a Stageline S was bought. A nice rediscovery of vinyl.

I don’t intend to keep up this tempo next year. Time for consolidation!

6 Likes

Feels like a similar path…
Two systems.
First system for streaming.
And a second system for vinyl. Albeit some streaming on the side, as second source.

Good luck
R

Yes absolutely. And a Qobuz subscription as well.

1 Like

2023 - Green to White now complete. (Nait 2 was the last Green but it was a true White too :slight_smile: )

How long do you think we have until the next colour change?

3 Likes

XS3 + ND5XS2 to NC200 – nice.
Just added Innuos PhoenixNET – nicer.
Here’s to a less spendy 2024 and enjoying music - nicest.

5 Likes

Been thinking about doing this with my nds pretty soon, not sure if it makes the same sort of difference…only one way to find out

Only planned on a Phono Cartridge…

January - NC250 Should have never demoed it

September - Hana Umami Blue

September - NAC332/NPX 300

December Eversolo DMP A8

6 Likes

Or maybe replace nds with nd555?
I briefly used nds with 1 555dr ps when my nd555 went for repair
I thought nd555 better than nds with single ps
David

Most definitely done for this year, very happy with the 332 & 350s, upgraded from 282/250 which I’d had for over a year.
Congrats Naim on the New Classic range.

2 Likes

Given there is a only a few days left in this year, that statement might be safe :joy:

Congratulations on a decent year of upgrades
Happy Sunday listening…
R

1 Like

Haha, indeed :joy:

Cheers, will do, although I have some jobs I really should do, delayed after yesterday’s long music day :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I had time to squeeze in another upgrade. A cheap one. I found out (or @igel did) that I’ve had the mono button on for quite some time on my 552. Who has that?? (cannot find the idiot emoji)

2024 is the year of stereo! :partying_face:

7 Likes

Been there! :wink:

2 Likes

Lovely. Noticed that over in the other thread. Made me smile, (in a nice way) :blush:
Hope you’re now enjoying best value upgrade of the lot…

Happy Sunday listening today.

4 Likes

Same to you (and everyone else) :green_heart: :christmas_tree:

5 Likes