250 vs 300

Wonder how much improvement is down to the external psu on the 300.
The 250 doesn’t have that option but another box :see_no_evil:

1 Like

I guess so, though the NAP 300 was not an option when I got my SBLs, NAP 135s would have been teh obvious alternative I suppose.

This is true actually, I moved the 300 on which was perfect for my old room but didn’t work so well in my new extension and actually prefer the 250 better. The 250 is DR however so might be a factor over the bare 300?

1 Like

A good deal, because otherwise they are essentially the same; transformer, amp and regulation boards, etc.

It just goes to show what a difference it makes being able to space things out and separate supplies in their own box.

2 Likes

Gosh, the amp hierarchy is a bit of vortex. Pony up $9k on a 250 only to find out it’s rubbish and pony up $20k for the 300. No thanks. And then you’ll need the 500.

3 Likes

None of them are rubbish Mike, just the difficult , or easy decision to jump off the merry go round. Your systems are great, i have heard those amps…i am sure i could have amazing times looking out at your views and listening. Just choices.

2 Likes

Having just added a new 250DR to the SN2 I’m happy to stick here. Was interesting to read people’s comments about the difference with a 300 but am aware of the improvement an external psu brings so expected. Think the 300 is another 10 watts aswell.

I know you have said you don’t want to spend the money mike but out of interest have you had a listen to them at your dealer out there?

No, that’s part of the issue, there just isn’t the opportunity to demo these at the dealers here. I think there might be one 250 in the country, it would have to be a try at home and return. A 300 would have to be an order from HQ I think. Buying anything above the Uniti range here is a PITA to be honest. And it’s just too expensive to buy without a demo, and only trying at home has other issues as well…,

1 Like

O shame, I thought you guys had a good Naim dealer there that a couple of you used?

And to add, that in the last 4 months I have had about 2 hours dedicated listening time with speakers due to the lockdown and Mrs Mike at home due to chemo. So, I diverted investment into the headphone set up, which is at end game now.

The dealers is great, it’s the supply of stock that’s the issue.

my room is almost 40sqm large … do you think the 300 is an improvement from the sbl or not in such a large room?

Definitely. I swapped from 250DR to 300DR with my SL2s and it was a huge improvement. It’s like the speakers grew by two feet in height and the sound grew in scale. My room is only small but I’d think you’d get a bigger difference in your larger space.

1 Like

The 250 tries too hard and overdoes it a bit. It also tends to lose the plot at the frequency extremes compared to the 300. The 300 doesn’t have to try. However, after the cash, bang, wallop, action packed presentation of the 250, the subtle, easy, authoritative gait of the 300 may sound a tad laid back - although it isn’t really.

I have no hesitation in recommending a 300 over a 250 (DR or not) in any circumstance, bar one. If you love the 250 and are merely curious about the 300, but can’t do a back to back, I would advise sticking with what you know and love. Not for nothing does the 250 have a big fan club. I’m just not member of it

1 Like

well yes - the 802…I wouldn’t pair that with Naim… just goes to show we all hear things differently.

Mike,
There is always the option to bypass all the intermediate steps by ponying up just under $1k for a freshly serviced chrome bumper Nait 2…

5 Likes

What are those prices, $9K for the 250 and 20k for the 300? Are these US prices? That’s nearly twice as much as list prices over here in Germany.

Edit: Ah, I guess AUD? Then it’s not so much different, but still 25% more

1 Like

I have no at home experience with the NAP 250. I jumped directly from the SN2 to the 300DR.

Put it that way: what’s your goal and how do you expect your system to be in a couple of years? It’ll probably help making a decision.

As to the question of knowing which NAP is best in terms of performance. Well, the answer is obvious, isn’t it? The NAP300 has dual mono design, separated power supply, etc. leading to a much lower noise floor, better control, better performance at low levels, etc.

I’d go for the NAP300 without a blink

1 Like

NZD, but close to AUD.

1 Like