250DR vs 250.2

The 250.2 is the non-DR predecessor to the 250DR.

1 Like

Thanks. Thought I was missing out something. :thinking:

I would concur with that observation. The only thing I would add is that the warmth you describe is really colouration. The other thing I noticed about the DR version is just the absolute sense of clarity. Itā€™s a joy to listen to.

The thing that I instantly noticed was that the noise floor was extremely low, it sounds effortless but dynamic at the same time. Above all, it is so musical and I am running through my fav albums. My only complaint is why did I not do this years ago?

1 Like

Better late than never. Iā€™m pleased itā€™s worked out well; the 250DR is really good.

In the major range uplift in 2002 a lot of models went, and others were renamed. So the 82 and 52 preamps were redesigned and the new models became the 282 and 252. The 135 power amps left the range and the 300 came in. The 250:stayed in the range, but was redesigned. It was thus known as the 250.2, given that the Naim power amp designation is their nominal output into 4 ohms (so the 250 is 125wpc into 4 ohms * 2 channels), prefixing a 2 as they did with the pres would have named it the 2250, which would have implied 1125wpc into 4 ohms.

1 Like

Hi HH, I must have really messed up on a previous audition. I took in my 250.2 to use against the dealer 250DR and came away thinking that it was pretty even. Even after just one day with the 250DR, I can see that I had drawn an incorrect conclusion. Of course, everything will sound different in my room compared to the dealer room, but there are so many differences that I must have had cloth ears that day!

I have cloth ears most days! The important thing is that itā€™s all worked out in the end.

One week on and life is good. The 250DR continues to impress me. As always, I had looked at numerous reviews, some of which suggested that it might lack musicality. I guess that some people are more picky than me, as I have the opposite view. It seems better balanced than the 250.2, certainly has enough bass, and the Dynaudio Special 40s are responding to this. Perhaps this will bury the upgrade bug for a whileā€¦

NJB , itā€™s not being picky itā€™s all down to personal preferences the 250dr is a cracking amplifier yours should continue to improve as it burns in.

Enjoy it.

Thanks, mine was a find on the second hand market. The benefits are that it does not need to burn inā€¦

I liked my Olive 250.

I like my 250DR.

I like listening to music.

4 Likes

I had 250DR at home to test it with 252 and Supercap. Thi is another Naim sound than I like all the time. More highend less hifi. I stay with my old combination in bi amping system. Nap 252.2 for bass and mids, pre amp and amp for treble is XS2, signal distributor is Flatcap XS. On my ATC SCM50 is the right ratio in resolution and musicality. Yesterday I tried Supernait 2 instead of XS2. Another new sound style, SN2 is back in the box on the way back to dealer.
Now I plan to try tri amping system with two 250.2. I wrote about it in my thread, some german thief took my 1100EUR I sent for 252.2 and I have nothingā€¦ If somebody knows about NAP 252.2, please let me know.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.