250DR vs Classic for my setup

Fantastic. I’m glad I posed the original question because I would saved up for the NC 250 and spent some unnecessary monies.

What kind of cabling did you use “NewNaim16” for your setup? I have speaker cabling already in place. Right now I just have cheap RCA interconnect cables. I would like to get something better but within reason.

I use standard Naim interconnects with Kudos KS-1 speaker cable.

A while back I made my own interconnect with very low capacitance microphone cable, which gave a different presentation but I can’t say it was any better. In fact it gave a sibilance when using the system with our TV although we no longer do that.

Speaker cable used to be Naim NAC A5 but we recently moved home changing from an acoustically bright room to the opposite, hence the change of speaker cable.

That’s my destination as well @dmu :blush:. HiCap DR and 250 DR in the bag, 282 to come when funds allow and the deal is right.

3 Likes

I have the NAC A5 but not sure if I will be able achieve that level to determine it is the cable that needs changing for a particular soundstage. For you was it simply trial and error or was it years of experience that led you to that conclusion?

The change to KS-1 was initiated by colour and a Portuguese sandstone fireplace! The NAC A5 was black but we needed white and something more easily bent around corners.

This forum has threads favourably discussing KS-1 so since it’s white, round and bendy we decided to try it. The fact that the presentation was for us brighter than NAC A5 was a bonus. Not so much science if I’m honest.

As many have said above 272/XPSDR/250DR is a potent combo. One we ran happily.

A quite late model 250DR can be had for around £2500. Not sure £5700 for an NC250 stacks up unless you are going to upgrade streamer and pre later.

1 Like

Sounds brilliant to me.

Glad it was for esthetics. If it was the science of acoustics I might be a little screwed since I studied environmental science haha

1 Like

If $/SQ is a motivation I’d go with the 250DR. It’s still a remarkable amp. If cost is not a primary motivation I’d demo a 250NC and see how it sounds.

1 Like

Who is Mike :thinking:

Sorry I wrote that by accident. Just edited it :wink:

Yep — the new range might be great, but it doesn’t take any shine away from a real Classic. I certainly feel no urge to replace my 282/250DR with anything from the New Classic range… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Unfortunately I won’t be able to do that since my stereo system to be later this year are in two different countries with different voltages so will stick with 250DR as suggested by Naim and everyone here. A case of moving home so getting everything ready. Thanks

1 Like

White, round and bendy seems as good a reason as any to pick a speaker cable!

Since we have moved to cables :slight_smile: Anyone give their feeling on power cables and interconnects.

The Naim ones can be expensive. If I don’t go that route, any alternatives that ye like?

And how much of a difference will it make upgrading to better cables?

Also, I haven’t opened my XPS DR/272/250DR yet so curious what power cable they come with?

Thanks

Enjoy the sn3….

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.