252 or NDX2

From what I’ve read on this forum, the best route would be just as Mike said. So yer right, it’s unanamous so far.
Best of luck.

1 Like

Do not do NDX2 especially if using a third part psu , you’d spoil the sound.
You’d get a very nice improvement selling the latter and matching an nDAC with little outlay for now.

1 Like

A momentary lapse of reason on another forum Nigel?:wink:

I bought the Supercap shortly after the 300 and used it with the 282 for a while.

I found the Supercap the smallest of the amp upgrades. This could well have been due to the fact that I was still in the ‘honeymoon period’ after putting the 300 in which was a significant upgrade. i.e. I was still in the process of rediscovering my music when the Supercap arrived and was sill in the ooh and aah phase!

The Hicap DR with a 282 is very good indeed. When I bought the Hicap DR I mulled over getting a used Supercap non DR and was advised by the dealer that there wasn’t much in it and many preferred the Hicap DR. Given you have a non Naim PSU you could find similar.

A 282/HicapDR is an excellent pre-amp. You could take your source a long way without finding the need to upgrade it.

1 Like

NDX2 first followed by 555 PS later.

I had a SuperUniti/250DR, and my first upgrade step was the NDX2. It made a huge difference - both in the sound quality (more detailed, more musical), as well as the additional functionality (colour screen, Qobuz, AirPlay, Bluetooth, Roon support etc).

I’ve recently bought a 252/Supercap which has rounded out the system, but are definitely pleased that I got the NDX2 first.

1 Like

NDX2 first. I went from ND5 XS2 (which by the way is great!) to NDX2 with my current amp set up and there was a noticeable increase in all aspects of SQ. I’m waiting to upgrade the amps now…

1 Like

Superuniti to a 252 is a bit of a jump - well done!

When I had similar, albeit with the original NDX I went 282 first. I left an XPS for too long, until I had 282/HicapDR/250DR so it could be worth checking out an XPS vs 282 if you are on good terms with a local dealer.

Most would agree that your amp is better than a Supernait and many have added an XPS DR to their NDX2 with good results.

1 Like

Yes, I did exactly that as well when I had a SN2 and the XPS DR was a significant improvement.

1 Like

Yeah, an option came up through my local dealer here in Wellington, and my wife’s only question was "will it make you happy?’

To say that I’ve been rather pleased with it is an understatement.

2 Likes

Our friend @anon27418182 refers to a ‘momentary lapse of reason’ on my part. While disappointed that there wasn’t a Smiths reference instead of a Floyd one, it’s been interesting. As you’ll be aware my hearing is distinctly dodgy these days so I decided that the 555PS was wasted and that I could happily live without it. So I disconnected it and all seemed fine.

However, 24 hours later I was listening to something and somehow it didn’t sound quite as I’d been used to. Somehow the music wasn’t hanging together as well, and the overall sound was a bit thin.

I therefore reconnected the 555 and there was an immediate and very significant improvement - even though the PS had been turned off for 24 hours. The music immediately came together and was much more involving. The sound was bigger, more stately and majestic, if that makes sense. I’d never done a careful comparison of the NDX2 with and without the PS; when I bought the NDX2 I just attached the PS. So I now know exactly what it does, and it does a heck of a lot, even with my electric hearing.

The reason for this post? To encourage you to get a power supply before upgrading the amplification. It was very very clear to me, even with dodgy ears and ‘just’ a Supernait. And to encourage the OP to get a proper Naim power supply. They are not cheap but are very worthwhile.

7 Likes

I bought 282/250DR first because I had the occasion to get them as new at a good price. so currently I run them with ND5 XS2 and CDX2/XPSDR, being the latter the main digital surce, anyway. the ND5 XS2 is fantastic but I still prefer CDX2/XPSDR in terms of Dynamic and sound accuracy.
no doubt, from my side, to go directly to NDX2 as next upgrade, instead of adding a Supercap DR to 282, for example, or switch to 252.

rgds,
Stefano

I promise to do better next time. :grin:

I found just the opposite when adding a SCDR to my 282 with 250DR. The addition was not subtle. The 300 must have been a big change for your ears, as you said.

Scott

Yes, upgrading power supplies is the consensus in this thread. One thing about your experience, though: You’ve always used the power supply with the NDX2, which means the power supply in the NDX2 has never been broken in. I wonder if you’d find the difference as significant if you ran the streamer naked for a couple of weeks.

Discussion of non - Naim power supplies is against forum rules guys - as I’m sure several posters know well…

We’re talking about Naim power supplies.

Broken in or not. A DR’ed external PSU on a NDX 2 is far more sophisticated than the NDX 2’s onboard one. It’s a bit like having the same model car with a straight six engine, or a V8 or a V12. Take your pick?

1 Like

Of course. I’m just wondering if the difference would be as dramatic.