252/SC/300 replacing 282/HiCAP/250

I have two slightly taller stacks - I have Fraim, and have the “brains” on the left and the “brawn” on the right. It does make cable dressing a bit easier, and it’s just the right way to do it. Of all the cables the 300’s XLR-DIN seem the shortest, but they reach just fine in that setup. (I too have 252/SC/300.) Enjoy!!

1 Like

And I bet there’s still people who think the 282 is better than the 252 hahahahahahahahna.
hahahahahahahahahahahna hahahahahahahahahahahna hohohohohohohohohohohoho

Hohohohohohohohohohohoho.

Hohohohohohohohohohohoho

3 Likes

Fraim will certainly improve the presentation from the Q4. I moved to Fraim earlier this year having spent a long time weighing up whether it was worth doing and I have a very similar system to yours @IvdZ.

I was not expecting much difference from what I had before (a Hi Fi Racks equivalent) but it was a pretty dramatic improvement. I used to hear my NDS’ brass plate clunking slightly if I walked past it too vigorously but with Fraim I never hear any movement of it. For me, that demonstrates just what the Fraim delivers from an isolation perspective.

You’ll need two base levels which, as others have said, will be tougher to find used but it really is an investment in getting the very best out of the electronics you have assembled.

1 Like

IvdZ,

You have a great system…maybe an idea to let everything bed in and give yourself time to enjoy your upgrades, before you start replacing your rack.

That said, as has been mentioned the full fraim is exceptionally good, if you do decide at some point to make the change, you will not be disappointed

1 Like

Glad you are enjoying your 300DR IvdZ. I too have recently purchased a 300DR having enjoyed a 250 previously. The difference is not night and day but certainly everything is so “right” about the sound now. Low level listening is a real plus also. Enjoy.

Steve2

1 Like

This is my first post to the Naim forum so please excuse any neophyte formatting errors.
I have owned Naim components for over 20 years and have gradually upgraded my components. While I have no Naim streaming capability in my system (still love my CDX2/555PS), my system and upgrade path is similar to those in this post. Currently my system is NAP300(newly DR’d), 252/SC, Superline/SCLP12. My rack is an issue that I probably still need to address.
I am unfortunately not able to agree with the comments regarding the improvement when going from the standard to the DR upgrade for my NAP300. While there were substantial improvements in many areas, my post-upgraded 300DR unfortunately developed a nasty case of upper-mid “spitting”/“distortion”/“dirty sibilants” that I hear on single vocals and mass vocals. I’ve actually been trying to discover the source of the problem for almost a year now!
Has anyone had a similar issue that was resolved?
Thanks.

1 Like

I remember a review saying that the dr amps really should be used with superlumina speaker cable

Analoguemusic do you have a link to that review by any chance as I am really happy with what I am hearing at present through my speakers and looking forward to the time when it is fully burnt in. I hope that I will be able to enjoy fully my current system without the need to upgrade any more for a while.

Cheers, Steve2

If you look at the Naim website the SL range of cables were originally designed for the Statement amplifier but can be beneficial when used with 500 or Classic series.

The SL cables work extremely well with the DR amps, but there is no way in the world that anyone can sensibly say the DR amps ‘should’ be used with SL cables.

2 Likes

that is what the reviewed categorically stated, Hungry Halibut

Personally I used my 250DR with NACA5 and found no such issue.

NAP 500 DR with Super Lumina

Then Rowan crosses the standard Naim cables that are still used at the moment of the session to the NAP 500 DR and we play the same selection again. The first thing I immediately experience is the sharp increase in transparency, more resolution, more refinement, a better focus and, most importantly, increased realism. Yet there is also a considerable downside: despite all the qualities, this beautiful synergy has not kept pace from the start. As a result, there is now a certain mechanical sounding ‘hi-fi’ edge on the display that there was definitely no such thing in the previous round! “I had more or less expected you to see this,” says Rowan with an enigmatic smile. The next moment he walks back to the two power amplifiers, fiddles with cables, sits down and asks me to play the selection again. What is happening here? Yes, it is clearly the same NAP 500 DR that I am still listening to, but where the music has just started to wriggle despite all its qualities, everything suddenly falls into place and how! “What you hear now,” says Rowan, "are the new Naim Super Lumina cables. A new cable line that was first designed for the Statement Amplifiers and then expanded as a complete cable line and has recently become available. ”By my short story about these special cables, I do not want to go into too deeply now. But for anyone who has recently invested in a new Naim DR power amplifier, listening to and even eventually purchasing these cables is almost a necessity.

“Almost a necessity” in esoteric hi-fi land can be translated. I shall let each good reader translate for themselves. (And yes, I have spent my hard-earned money on SL cables “full loom” now. Albeit about half of it from the gently used market.)

as I did mention I found no such issue at all with my NAP250DR and NACA5

And I recall our moderator @Richard.Dane uses NACA5 with his own NAP250DR

I would be interested whether my NAP300 with new DR upgrade is perhaps defective. While I understand that the SL cables may be a significant upgrade, I am less certain that the distortion I am hearing can be rectified by a speaker cable change. Is Naim saying that the DR upgrade on an older NAP300 “causes” a distorted/dirty/hashy upper midrange UNLESS the SL cable is used? This doesn’t seem correct.

1 Like

Time to speak to your dealer and try another 300dr

It isn’t, no spitting sibilants here with an all DR 500 series system and no SL interconnects, a Hiline from 555 but all Snaic, Lavender and A5 otherwise. On the way up when I was using a CDX2 I did get a nasty ringing effect on high piano notes, this was cured by changing from my Target, steel and MDF rack to Fraim Lite (later mostly changed for full Fraim) and making sure the cables were dressed so they didn’t touch it. Power lines touch each other, interconnects don’t and nothing touches the wall.
I have a dedicated radial supplying the system via a home made daisy chained 6 way block (UK sockets so polarity is defined) and the plug order on this has a surprisingly large effect on the coherence of the music try 555ps nearest power in, SLSC, 252SC, 300ps and if you have a Naim ps for the LP12 try it between 555 and the SL’s supercap but if it’s a Linn ps plug it in to a different circuit, a SMPS is no friend to a Naim system.
Are there any powerline adaptors using your mains for internet traffic?
All this sort of faff has a greater effect the higher you go up the range and is a PITA but seems to be a necessary consideration to get the best out of a Naim system.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t waste your money on a dedicated supply. They all go back to the same earth tag. I had one put in and it made no difference.

They only ‘go back to the same earth tag’ if wired that way. :roll_eyes:

Exactly. More snake oil.