252 Sound Signature

252 spot-on centre here.

G

1 Like

Mine seems to be pretty well spot on centre too.

1 Like

Just to get a feeling for how unlucky I was - can you confirm that this is when you reduce the volume dial towards zero (with the balance dial centered)? It never gets unbalanced at any volume? If it does, whatā€™s the level on the volume dial at the point where one channel starts to be audibly lower? Thanks

I had a similar experience to Simon. I started with a 282/300 + Harbeth SHL5+. A year later i upgraded to the 252. Right out of the box, i got more low end presence particularly at low volumes. Low volume music just had a lot more depth. Overall perception was therefore a slightly warmer sound (just relatively speaking vs the 282). I also got much better channel matching at low volumes but perhaps that was an issue with my specific 282 unit.

Your nuanced analysis is always very interesting to read.

1 Like

My 252 retains the correct balance through the volume range.

G

1 Like

In a strange way Iā€™m growing to appreciate my volume imbalance at very low volume and it can be adjusted easily enough with the balance. In my mind it demonstrates the purist approach and eccentricity of Naim. How many other manufacturers would be bold enough to deal with these pots? Sound first.

3 Likes

Please say what to do about connector tightness linking the 252 to nDAC and Supercap?

(Also, does it matter which input I use?)

Just had a rare morning (well, two or so hours) where I could play music on my own. Given I donā€™t have much play time where I can use the speakers at a good volume, the 252 continues to take me back to when I first heard my original 32/250 in the 80s, which was a revelation to me then, and with 252/250 remains so today.

To my ears: rich, lively presentation that gives me, for example, the grunt and gnarl of distorted guitars (Isis on this occasion), the metallic pluck and steely sheen on acoustics (Hunky Dory) and a drum sound to die for, while presenting vocals intimately when they are, or shouty and gruff when they ainā€™t! Didnā€™t play any orchestral, but Iā€™m already sold on how the 252 presents my Sibelius and Bach. All in a lovely layered, dare I say ā€˜holographicā€™ (!) soundstage.

Poised and refined when it needs to be, kicking the jams when the jams need kicking!

Iā€™ll stop ravingā€¦but what a great two hours that was!

18 Likes

Just need to make sure that the Snaic is locked nice and tight both ends between 252 and SC and that it runs close to the Burndy throughout its length.

1 Like

Thanks - I will check this tonight.

Appreciate it while you can! Inspired by the discussion, I thought that although it has not been a real issue after the pot change, Iā€™d try anyway if reducing the level in Roon is what I want to do.

So I started by lowering the volume with the pot to find the exact point at which it starts, as it had been a while since last time. And lo and behold, it is completely gone, itā€™s now perfectly balanced all the way down like my dealerā€™s was. Seems that Alps pots have burn-in too :exploding_head:

Funnily enough, mine seems to have improved too.

1 Like

So howā€™s the sound signature? :man_shrugging:

Quite delightful really. All I have ever hoped for with a system, stunning really.

9 Likes

Perfect

3 Likes

Just to clarify; so the replacement pot still wasnā€™t perfect initially but it seems to have ā€˜run-inā€™ and is perfectly balanced now? Still undecided what to do about mine. One day I might want to sell it and if it doesnā€™t improve I can see if being a problem.

Exactly. The replacement pot was better and good enough, but not perfect with progressive unbalance starting at ~7:30. Now it is dead center all the way down.

Interesting. So could just be a case of running in, who knows?

Mike, did you also find yours sorted itself in time? How long did it take?

Cheers

Mine seems okay at the moment. Itā€™s a second hand unit Iā€™ve had for s few weeks. It does vary a little between recordings and volume, but so does my hearing it seems.

1 Like