252 Sound Signature

My 252 /scdr combo sadly never did come on song
Bought used…I waited for it to settle in…which it didn’t
I massaged and arranged the cables…checked the fraim was tight …changed it to the top shelf…etc etc

Thought it must need a service…even though it was only 4 years out from having a full Naim factory service

Requested the previous service sheet from Naim

“Full service and check as customer says poor sound”

Sold it!

2 Likes

Please clarify exactly what u have done…
I have a 52 /supercap. I let the snaic and burndy hang free. They may touch only where they cross each other.
David

Could you clarify connector tightness pls. Done up, or slackened back a quarter turn? And which?

Thanks.

1 Like

Typical recommendation for the DIN interconnects: plug in, lock with collar so that it sits properly, then undo the collar again and pull out a little bit (millimeter or so). The idea is to reduce mechanical coupling.

Not recommended with snaic and of course burndy as bad things will happen when accidentally pulled out.

I’ve just placed my SNAIC alongside the Burndy, not sure what difference it made, but I’ll sleep better at night knowing I’ve done my best :+1:

Otherwise, even “just” through my SN2 in power amp mode, it’s sounding stunning. Aside from the clarity, detail and soundstage, what really strikes me is how natural the presentation is - it just sounds right, and the scale, depth and pace of the presentation. It’s just quite delightful - roll on the 250!

6 Likes

I’m very excited for you @Mike_S. I have heard the 252 a few times with a 500, NDX2 with 555PS and it sounds fantastic. The 250DR you have on order will make quite a difference.

Will be very interested to see how you get on with the 250DR.

Maybe that is the best place to stop. Although there will always be an itch that you may need to scratch.

My aim is full 500 series. Not sure I can do the statement unless deal comes up…

Anyway the 252 with 250 DR will be all the system you ever need.

Congratulations on the 252. Wish I had one.

1 Like

I actually was looking at a used 552, but I wanted to get to an end point, so went the 252 route to level out at the top of the classic range. The 552 would have been delightful, but is more than my “willingness to pay” threshold, and would also lead to the inevitable, “the NDX2 really needs the 555PS”, “the 552 needs the ND555”, then the speakers and amp - and realistically that’s beyond me.

2 Likes

…stop?? :flushed::pleading_face:

5 Likes

Having been a 282, 252 and 552 owner, all DR variants, in my opinion the 252 is something quite different. To me the 552 is a significant evolution on the 282, having a slightly forward but transparent and engaging sound. The 552 appears to tame the more extreme verve of the 282 with greater transparency or resolution.
The 252 on the other hand has no apparent forwardness… its character is of neutrality that can reach great heights… the Switzerland of Europe as it were… it produces a tidy sound with tremendous clarity and insight without drawing attention … but it is perhaps too polite for some.
On reflection, I could have lived with my 252DR, but had to itch the 552.

10 Likes

and now you sold the 552… :wink:

according to some of your new posts, you are not using any naim amplifier at all?

It is tempting to jump ship, but when I listen to my Chord fronted Naim system, it all sounds wonderful and I think… I just need more time to enjoy this…

Correct… Naim for me right now is about their streamer transports, Powerlines and Fraim supports. (As well as CDX2 source) The latest incarnations of the streamers are rather good. I like how they have been designed and how they work… and produce great results in my new system.

Clearly if you are happy with what you have, don’t jump ship for the sake of it. Why are you tempted?

1 Like

because of quite a few people including yourself jumping from Naim to the New Chord amplifiers.

But I find my 282/Hicap DR based system sounds wonderful - and I just need a lot more time to enjoy it.

I also use Dynaudio speakers, so the matching with Naim seems to work very well for what I seek… which is to enjoy rock music…

2 Likes

Thanks. I wondered if I was missing something, but no. Power cables are always connected properly, and the hi-line is a simple push-fit with no sleeve or collar to undo.

1 Like

Yes, the HiLine was already designed with this idea in mind

1 Like

Really interested to hear where you get to @Mike_S. I have a NAC282 coming and I expect I’ll enjoy that, but wondering whether my ultimate preamp will be 252 or 552 which will sort of define next upgrades, either Supercap and then 252 head unit, or just a long, long save for the 552, missing out the 252 completely. Of course the NAC282 may be all I ever want, but we said that about the SN, haha.

3 Likes

Yes, well it was going to be the 282 for me, then a very good option on a used 252/SC for less than a new 282 came up, so here we are…. With the 250 on order (hopefully coming….)

3 Likes

I think you express the core of what it is about changing from the 282. The 282 has immediate appeal and brings the music very much in your face. Only when the 252 is fully unfolding itself, which can take up as much as up to 4/5 months you will experience how mighty the 252 really is, and you will also see that it can boogie…
Belief me it’s not yet at the end of it’s development…

3 Likes

I prefered 252/sc dr with the nap 250 dr then with the nap 300 dr, the added transparency of the 300 dr showed me even more what I didn’t liked with the 252 (distant presentation, far less involving). The 250 dr was more rounded, forward and fun combined with the 252. For me, the 252/300 was a pain and a huge disapointment after spending so much money… If the 552 step hadn’t been possible, I would have switched back to the 250 dr or changed the brand of the amplifier here.

2 Likes

My pre-loved 252 (2019 serial #) came pretty much firing on most cylinders and boogies like anything!

I was taken aback by how much the 282 improved my enjoyment of music, but the 252 to my ears does all that the 282 did - with added, um, finesse and class…

I’d like one day to try the NAP300, but my 250DR is plenty for my room and standmount 805s.

Very happy bunny - if this is my ‘endgame’ I’m delighted to stick!

5 Likes

David, following previous posts I cut three sections of pipe insulation approximately 3 cms. long and at equal intervals wrapped them around the two cables from the 252. There was an improvement in SQ.

3 Likes