252 Sound Signature

My dealer tells me that naim grade all these alps pots at goods in. Essentially putting the best into the 552, then 252, 282 and so on. So, I’m a bit surprised that a 252 pot is showing these issues.

So was I :slight_smile: Maybe another victim of the pandemic, as Stu’s is from 2021 and mine from later 2020. Anyways, I am thankful to MusicLine for fixing it and turning it around as quickly as they did. It would not be a big thing if the customer was aware and not had to stumble in the dark as Stu had to. I’m glad I immediately asked the dealer what’s up! (Though maybe dealers should give it a quick check before handing to customer, too. I could have done without having to repackage it, drive it back to dealer, pick it up again a few days later, and so on. Luckily it was at the top of the rack :slight_smile: To my dealer’s credit, they gave me their demo in the meantime and offered that I could keep it; I nearly did as it was quite new and sounded so great, being burned in)

Maybe my new 282 ended up with a 552 alps pot as its spot on.

Just goes to show the so called hand picking of components Naim strive to do…

2 Likes

It seems to be pot luck to a degree. As mentioned, the demo unit did not do it, either

Been listening happily all night, just turned down as it’s getting late and the sound has switched left. Very noticeable now I know what the problem is. Looks like this unit will be going back. Annoying but it’s going to bug the hell out of me.

Annoying but I am sure they’ll make you happy. And having had a smile on my face every time I put on some music for 6 months straight made it worth it!

1 Like

I’ve had the 82,252 (non dr) and 552DR. I now run a 52.

I must say the 252 is the most different sounding out of them all. It suits certain music very well. There is a sense of calm and flow but it doesn’t exhibit the excitement of the others IME.

In terms of speed and excitement I will say the 52 trumps them. Overall the 552 is the best all rounder and most dynamic and transparent.

My advice is set it up on a Naim fraim or glass ball bearing/cup and put extra attention into where you site the preamp. Another thing I will say is Gothic audio do silver cabling which I think will help the leading edges of notes. Source to pre and pre to power.

Lastly, I’ve heard the SUPERCAP DR with the 252 injects pace into the setup so perhaps that would be your next upgrade.

1 Like

Just shows there is no definite certainty with any of this, it’s all subjective, so only the individual can decide and relate their personal experiences and setups… I am confident local environment has a significant part to play in the overall response as well.

1 Like

Ah, so that’s why they’re called pots!

:rofl:

2 Likes

Yes, I think this applies in my situation. My listening room is a L-shape, firing across the short width, so there is a room impact on sound balance from each speaker and this influence seems to change depending on the music and volume. I guess this is expected with room / harmonics interaction.

1 Like

Given the 252 seems to be the most afflicted by the balance problem and the products are hand made, an option to order a bypassed balance control version would be of interest.

Sorry, I don’t understand, what would this be?

Not sure if the 252 is the most frequent case, seen other classic pres/integrateds have it as well.

I recall SN3 was one such with regard to balance issues, in some units at least.

Yep

1 Like

By bypass I mean the balance is fixed (hard wired) and the control has no impact when turned.

Thanks. However, the issue is not the balance pot. It is caused by the volume pot create different volume in left and right channel when it approaches the lower end of the volume range - to a different degree in individual pots.

That sounds wrong (sorry for pun) shouldn’t a supplier be delivering parts that consistently meet the customers spec via their QA process? The cost of 100% inspection/test of parts at Naim goods in must be very high

I would disagree with that. The first 252 I had the balance was around 2 o clock regardless of volume.

Yes, if the supplier can meet the spec. I expect alps have been clear about what they can offer. And perhaps suggested to naim that naim grade them. Most likely a cheaper option than having alps grade them ( and naim still having to check).
Usually you can get top quality if you are prepared to pay. But often you can be a burden to a supplier with challenging requirements. Which is where I expect alps and naim are.

1 Like

Seems like more people use the balance knob to compensate for component issues than room issues.

3 Likes