252 vs supernait2

Hi all,
I currently have a Supernait 2 DR acting as a pre-amp, connected to a NAP500 (not dr).
My intention was to replace the supernait with a Nac 552.
I have now a very good opportunity to buy a NAC 252 + supercap (not DR) at a very special price.
Do you think it is a good choice / upgrade?

Best
Pier Paolo

I just bought NAC 252 + supercap (not DR) and am very happy with it.

I had both of them serviced (by Darran at Class A in Sheffield) - and they have improved as the caps have settled in over time.

I can’t imagine that an SN2-as-pre could beat it or even come close to it, but I’ve never made the comparison.

3 Likes

Be careful on the last service of the supercap. But apart that, the difference is bigger than night and day.

1 Like

You should wait for the 552. It’s massively better than the 252 and is designed to match the 500. If you get a 252 you will still want the 552, so wait until one comes along.

2 Likes

If the OP leaves in UK, I agree, better wait for a 552. But in another country, the waiting for an opportunity can be long.

I was waiting for more than 1 year but no opportunity in Italy for a 552 and the cost of a brand new one is too high for me

Why not get a used one in the U.K. and have it shipped.

@PPT I’m with @JimDog a very happy owner of 252/SC, I also know I am never really going to have the funds to get 552 to be honest, do I feel short changed on the 252 in NO WAY mine is matched with 300DR so I would imagine th 500 is going to work and sound a whole lot more with 252

another postive note on the 252 is there are always owners wishing to trade up to 252, so if in future a 552 knocks on your door -

1 Like

I’ve had mine with a 300DR and am very happy with the 252. Yes, more could might be happy but there are also other things to spend to spent the money on - keep my wife happy too especially after letting my upgrade my speakers!

If the 252/SC is priced good, I’d just take it.

2 Likes

Given that you have lived with a massively misbalanced system and nevertheless you have been enjoying it, but now you are looking for an upgrade, why not swap the 500 for a 552 and feed the SN in av bypass mode, I am sure it will be miles ahead compared to your current setup, power amp in SN is no slouch and source first mindset will be at its fullest. Just a thought. Cost wise at least you will be fine.

For me
250DR on a SN2 was an improvement.
252 with the 252 was a much bigger improvement.

If you cannot get a 552 then the 252 is a very big improvement indeed over the SN2.

Is there a particular risk on servicing a supercap?

Not at all, if done by agreed place, like Daran, Naim Salisbury…

Good. I do not know Daran, but if I do it, I will certainly ship it to Naim. I just got my 252/SC, and do not feel a service is very required at the moment, but they are both 10 years old, so perhaps. In such case - do both boxes need service, and is there a pro/con on upgrading the SC to DR? (My amp is DR if that matters).

Yes, dr the supercap is a real pro, no coin on that matter. Have never found someone saying that the supercap non dr is better sounding on a 252, or superline.
Daran is less expensive and is world recognised. I will personally send my 555 dr and 250 dr to Daran, to save some costs.

Daran is a shop? (in the uk?)

Is there any threads or has been descussion about how a DR sounds compared to a non-dr?

If you read the previous posts you will see that Darran runs Class A servicing in Sheffield.

1 Like

my bad :slight_smile:

Class A can service but not do DR upgrades IIRC

2 Likes