272/250.2 vs SN3/HCDR

Svetty is (in my opinion) quite right, a power amp is a dumb blunt tool, it can only amplify the signal it receives, it can’t clean the signal and give any associated improvement in SQ, as you walk towards the light/upgrade escalator you will research and soon understand that upgrading the source and preamp are where best gains are to be made - using a good 282 as pre with your SN3 as dumb power amp will give a lift in SQ whereas adding a more powerful power amp to your SN3 (thus utilising its pre amp and by passing its power amp) will serve only to make a poor signal loud. Get your 282 first!!

3 Likes

+1 on the recommendation from @JonnySidemouth, add a NAC 282. You move the HiCapDR to the 282 and you will experience a lovely upgrade. At some point in the future you can trade in the SN3 for a NAP250DR.

The 272 is dated and the streaming technology is advancing quickly. The 272 is discontinued and may not be able to be repaired if a problem was to occur.

Good luck with your decision.

2 Likes

I chose my speakers using a 272/250 and now using the SN3 with them, I found they are quite easy to drive and in my room this has been perfectly ok and enjoying what the SN3 does at least as much or more with better sources and PSUs too. Listen in and to what your room tells you, it would be key to define and help decide.

I went 202/200DR with HiCapDR & NAPSC over SN3 based system.
Sounds simply fabulous through my Dynaudio Evoke 50’s.
I’ll soon be adding a ND5XS 2 as my Digital source. My dealer thinks this is definitely a step above an SN3.

2 Likes

Unless a small room, with the Dynaudio Evoke 50 one may want to try more than the 200 and in my mind even the 250 may be a bit of a question?:slight_smile:

282 first and then 250 or the contrary, it’s not important. In all case the OP will finish with a 282/hicap/250. And probably one day improve the Bluesound as transport.
A 202/200 would be a step up , but does it worth to bother with a little step, send the 202/200 for service….?

2 Likes

Bluesound as transport? I have an ND5XS2 as transport as indicated above. Along with a Qutest dac.

1 Like

My bad. So another step already done. Don’t know why I thought of bluesound, specially as I followed the thread since the beginning.

1 Like

Before I bought the 282 (new) about 5 years ago, I did contemplate the 272 as an option just for a short while before I dismissed it. I wanted to keep the digital section separate from the amp and this was my preference all the while.

Apart from technology getting dated and the component discontinued, resale value would take a hit too as they usually command a lower price in comparison to pure preamp/amps. Although it’s not the same analogy, it’s like Dolby Pro logic being replaced by Dolby Digital in various versions as the older gear gets very little interest.

1 Like

Maybe cause I started another thread about BS VS Digione.

1 Like

I have a 282/hicapDr/Napsc waiting for a upgrade to a 252/SupercapDr.
The difference between the 2 ps is a lit greater than the difference between the 2 pres

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.