272 + 555DRPS - What to Expect?

Moving on from the XPSDR hopefully this weekend and looking forward to it. Having been there (XPS to 555PS) with a CDS3 a few years back I’m hopeful of similar gains.

Those who have made the leap with the 272 care to whet my appetite…Is it really that good?

G

Most definitely Graeme; I made this move after a teasing post from HH and the difference I found is not a subtle one! So, you won’t be sitting listening trying to detect whether this passage is better, clearer, more defined; it will be very obvious. I am not great at defining exactly what but more depth, more bass, more control, greater clarity. I hope you really enjoy. It really lifts the 272 to another level.

3 Likes

This was the best upgrade I’ve made. You won’t be sorry!

1 Like

Yep, a great upgrade. I felt every aspect grew up. More authority, bigger soundstage more presence.

1 Like

Did exactly the same in December last year. The 555PS straight out of the box gave an immediate uplift in bass, detail, space, everything. It was just instantly nicer. 4 months on and even allowing for my pokey listening room (see my Packing it all in thread…) it still sounds really nice. It was the instant jump when plugging it all that really stood out though.

2 Likes

Yes.

1 Like

I recently upgraded from 272/555PS to a 552/ND555 and while it is undoubtedly better in many respects,the difference wasn’t as great as one would expect.I think it affirms that it is a great combo that is tough to upstage for the cost and box count. My amp is a 300 and speakers are Sopra3
I think you will be very happy. Let us know

2 Likes

Big lift Graeme, personally I didn’t think there was much between the XP5xs and XPSdr but when the 555dr landed it transformed the 272 into a different beast.

2 Likes

I hate this thread. More my wallet than me personally. :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks all. Part of the fun is the anticipation and you have it building nicely!

G

It really is lovely. I did a home demo of the xpsdr and 555dr with my 272 and difference was apparent within seconds. It just sounds more natural and spacious, more finesse and ease. Much greater separation of voices and instruments. Jaw dropped, veil lifted, inky blackness, foot couldn’t stop tapping ete, etc, etc. well worth the cost.

1 Like

I recall this question being asked on here recently, I answered then that the difference from 272 / XPSDR to 272 / 555PS was greater than the lift from bare 272 to 272 / XPSDR. If funds allow it’s worth going straight to 555 rather than trying the XPSDR.

4 Likes

“272 + 555DRPS - What to Expect?”

Expect 372 :smile:

Sorry, couldn`t resist :slight_smile:

1 Like

How about the non-DR versions of the XPS and 555PS?
Does anyone know how they sound?

Slightly off the Op’s question but as I have a NDX2 into a Nac 272 IF I go for a 555PS should it go on the streamer or the 272 as I cannot afford both

555 on the NDX2 and then trade 272 for a 282/HC?

How does the NDX2 compare to 272? I would be curious again if 555 Is added to 272 how that compares to NDX2.

I tried a 2006 unserviced 555PS and didn’t like what it did to the 272. Swapped it for an XPSDR, which I much preferred.

My 555PS has arrived with my dealer and I’ll get it first thing tomorrow. Unfortunately we are then visiting in-laws so I won’t get a proper listen until Sunday :grimacing:!

G

1 Like

That’s extremely useful feedback.
When you say unserviced, is a service a different thing to a DR-ing?
Normal amp service conisists of recapping plus various bits of cleaning and testing and changing any other parts that may be worn.
DR-ing is something else, I think.
Do they always do both of these processes together at Salisbury - on PSUs?
Or can you buy one without the other?

Yes, servicing is simply that. Refreshing the capacitors and other stuff I don’t understand.
DR-ing changes the power supply to discreetly regulated which I don’t understand either - other than it sounds a whole lot better.
You can buy one without the other.

G

1 Like