272 DAC upgrade-advice please

Stick a Naim logo on my heatsinked Raspberry Pi4?

Runs BubbleUPnP Server to give my NDS and UQ2 Qobuz and transcodes everything to .WAV

3 Likes

That thing, bathing in the red light to the left or your RPi, you’re not harbouring a giant mutant virus are you?

4 Likes

Random craft bits that have escaped from my ADHD daughter’s clutches. Tidying is a constant challenge!
At least that’s what I hope it is :open_mouth:

2 Likes

The thing I’ve learnt more than anything with this stuff is if what you’ve got is working for you quite, perhaps more, often it’s best to leave well alone.

1 Like

I’ve got the BubbleUPnP app on my phone and it works well enough. The only niggle I do have is that it won’t pause and resume, it starts from the beginning of the track again. Not too bad with the pop and rock I usually listen to, but quite annoying on longer classical passages.

272s were sold off by many dealers at massive discounts end of last year. That’s why we ended up with one to continue our move away from SuperUniti to separate boxes (not from our usual naim dealer I may add, was an internet purchase from a big chain)

Looking on favourite auction sites, and some dealer sites, could likely get more now used than was paid new due to the impact of Covid, supply chain shortages and delivery delays on newer kit.

1 Like

This is certainly happening with tech that does not date much like telescopes, less sure about the 272, but it could happen, especially in relation to the waiting time for stuff. I aways said i was waiting for the replacement so that i could hoover up an old one when people sell theirs to move on, but I am less sure now that I have moved over to Qobuz.

I agree @LindsayM , the 272/555/250 sounding mighty fine right now on a miserable wet Wellington morning.

2 Likes

perhaps a lesson for me to pickup :slight_smile: I dont stream from the net except airplay and I have that fixed. at least with the 272 the volume control works fine. and that novel preamp circuit in the 272 sound really good …

1 Like

Hi ErnN
I tried a Bluesound Node 2i when I had a 272 and to me it sounded poor so I sent it back.
Jim

1 Like

Clare (and others) explained above why Naim are not announcing new products.

It’s because supply chains globally are disrupted by covid lockdowns, and so Naim has had to mainly focus on maintaining production of existing products.

It’s almost certain that Naim will launch a new streaming pre as soon as they are able to build it and be sure they can maintain production to satisfy global demand for it.

But it’s currently impossible for Naim to know when that date is.

And they’re not likely to put out a press release saying - “Hey everyone - we’re going to launch a new streaming preamp soon, but we don’t know when exactly because global supply chains are a mess because of covid lockdowns”.

As Clare summarised it:
“So I hope we can be forgiven for concentrating on manufacturing existing products right now, rather than focusing on future releases.
We’ve already made it clear we have plans, but are simply not in a position to share anything right now, not least as it would almost certainly be subject to change!”

5 Likes

Qobuz HR is sounding rather fine through my 272 / XPSDR right now, via Audirvana / Mac mini.

IMO a cost effective way to squeeze a tad more from a 272 – although perhaps less so now Audirvana have moved to a subscription model.

1 Like

Hi, the original post was how to use a stand alone DAC with the 272. I was not suggesting Node 2i alone, but as the front end into the DAC. So node 2i (Digital out) => DAC => 272 analog in.

2 Likes

@ErnN thanks for that helpful information. Appreciated

You have to remember the 272-question has been going on for 3,5 years now. Ever since the upgrade of all the other streamers were announced. Naim shut it up by saying they would start work on the upgraded 272 when the announced new streamers where shipping. Three years ago.

If you ask me I think Naim learnt a lot since then and the upgraded 272 has been scrapped. It’s been to long, Also Linn Selekt happened inbetween. And Aquas LinQ. A streamer need to be modular. So they can ship new stuff when it is ready. DSP-functions. Some kind of modular hardware also open up business opportunities for dealers.

My personal favourite for my next streamer is the Aqua LinQ + multibit non-oversampling DAC. The LinQ has also absorbed the ’switch problem’ by providing a solution in the box.

I may be right or wrong on the modular thing but nothing will happen the next six months. Look at the market. Spotify/Apple lossless will start up in full around Christmas. Nothing will happen before then. Spotify/Apple might be a great opportunity to gain market.

Well, obviously a separates approach to streaming hifi will give better SQ (other things being equal).

That’s why I moved from 272/555DR to ND5XS2/nDAC/555DR/252.

And it sounds far better.

But there is a market out there for less boxes.

People who want less boxes and also people who want Naim but cannot currently buy separates, will buy and enjoy a new Naim streaming preamp.

And many of them will, as I did, stick with Naim and move on to even better Naim streaming and amplification solutions.

BTW, this weekend I took the 555DR off my Naim DAC for the first time.

I was initially pleasantly surprised how good the system sounded without the 555DR psu.

But after a couple of hours, I had tuned into a fuzz in the music, and I could not shake the conviction that something was missing.

When I put the 555DR back in again a huge grin came onto my face, and I sat listening for hours with a fresh sense of how good the 6-box system is and how lucky I am to enjoy it.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.