272 into NAP 300 - how sensible?

Worth a read:
https:// signals. uk. com /news/its-easy-to-be-dismissive-of-naims-latest/

2 Likes

Very nice write-up indeed!

I had a 272/555/300 system at one point, and very nice it sounded too. But I bought the 300 in the knowledge that I would be upgrading the 272 and I’d already accepted I was going to end up with a lot of boxes. So the 300 was a case of future proofing for me. If my end game was 272/555 then I’d have opted for a 250, it seems a more natural fit to my mind. But that’s the beauty of Naim, you can mix and match and be sure of being in a very good place regardless. Now I’ve heard the 300 there’s no going back, that’s for sure.

2 Likes

jezoakley, I’m not sure I understand the point of your post. The 300 has slightly more power and can deliver more current into lo-Z loads than the 250. How can that be a bad thing?

I used a 272 with a 500ps and a Nap500 it sounded really good…I am sure the 300 maybe the top sweet spot…

1 Like

How about you leave the bloke to enjoy his very expensive Hifi if he is happy and it sounds as though he is.

1 Like

It’s simply a question of someone having possibly received ‘incomplete’ advice in terms of system / budget matching and me seeking to chip in from an informed position based not just on my own opinion, but the also the vast knowledge of the forum. The “Source First” principle might suggest the premise of the original question was valid.

Anyway, thanks all for some excellent insight.

Pretty strange question I thought it would have been a match made in heaven. Can’t believe Naim wouldn’t have use the 250 and 300 in the development of the 272.

Read the thread, the point was about a bare 272 with no PSU. It’s quite clearly up for debate whether or not to trade off an XPS on the 272 (pre) versus spending big on the power amp.

1 Like

In case add a PS if possible. I had a 272 with a XPS and it was a great combo

I have Naim classic NAC32.5 and NAP140. I want to add Hicap but since it is unavailable in India, what if I replace NAC32.5 with NAIT5si to be used as preamp only. Will it the change the sound quality. As source I am using NAD 326BEE CD player alongwith MSB DAC LINK3. The speakers are KEF C80(1988)
Can I replace KEF C80 with KEF R300 or KEF Q550?
Sincere advise please. My budget to upgrade is 1000 sterling pounds only being senior citizen of 70 years old. I mainly listen to 90% western classical music. Need dynamics with moderate soundstage.

Hi, you cannot use the Nait5si as a preamp only., there is no pre out socket. If you could, I doubt you would improve on the 32.5 as long as that preamp is in good condition.

1 Like

How can I service NAIM NAC32.5(1988) since it does not have power supply of it own. There are no capacitors. Please give detail how can I get serviced my preamp.
Do I have to service CD cards or motherboard.
Your advice will be highly appreciated.

Your 32.5 does not have any large, cylindrical power supply capacitors.
However, it does have lots of tantalum capacitors, which normally look like yellow beads. These are also changed as part of the service, together with any out of spec resistors and tired connectors/contacts.

A factory service or Class A service is well worthwhile if it’s more than 10-12 years since its last service.

Hope this helps, BF

The 272 is fantastic with a 300dr…ideally at this level a 555psdr is also needed…

The question is, would it be a natural fit in your ears? The 250 doesn’t sound anything like the 300. People who love the 250 tend towards thinking the 300 is rather polite and laid back. It depends on what you are used to and what you prefer.

My 272/555DR PS sound great with the 250DR and I’ll likely try the 300 at some point. Assuming the 272 replacement doesn’t come out sooner.

1 Like

I meant fit as in budget allocation and box count. Sacrificing a box and expenditure on the source/pre in favour of the power amp feels the wrong way around to me, but that’s just instinct not ears as I haven’t demoed.

Yes. I understand. And source first usually gets the best gains. In the case of the 250 versus the 300 there is a fundamental difference in presentation which has the potential to significantly push the sound balance in different directions. If you like what a 300 does it is not a given that you will like the 250. At least with the 300 you have a power amp that is transparent, highly capable and will exploit a top level source, not limit it. That’s my £0.02, as always, only your ears will tell you for sure.

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. The 272 was a great product, but it always seemed to me the inconsistency you pointed out was driven by the marketing department of Vervent.
Naim orthodoxy, (established over decades and not just confined to us nutters on the forum), of source first seemed to have been shifted to cater more to offering a Naim/Focal package that’s easier to sell.
The 272 bare/300 undoubtedly sounded great, but to my ears a NDX/202/HiCap/200 was better at lower pricing. Next step according to most on the forum would be insert a 282 which gives a combo which was pretty close in outlay to the 272/300 combo. Sure you could add power supplies to the 272, but you could also spend the extra money in the more “orthodox” set up
But as commented by others, if it was demonstrated at the dealer and the choice was made, who needs to argue?

4 Likes