272 - still a sensible buy?

Tried that.
The old laptop, Asus, is on WiFi, and the WiFi link reduced the positive effect of the bubble process.
There’s a rather sad thread on it somewhere.

How did you install bubble on your iPad?
I have an iPad and could try that.
But then what route do the audio files take?
Are they routed via WiFi into the iPad and from there direct to the 272?

I think I agree with this. Don’t get me wrong the N-272 sounds as great as it ever has done… but the front end digital electronics are somewhat out dated now and Naim have since developed things to a fair extent in terms of reliability, performance and resultant sonics, and compared to the current streamers is limited and more susceptible to ‘networking’ matters affecting performance. There was a significant amount of Naim R&D ploughed in to improve streaming performance for the current streamers.
So if wanting a full capability streamer offering the best relative sonic performances whether you want to appreciate cloud hidef streaming such as from Qobuz or get the max performance from local private streaming using UPnP , then the current streamers are the way to go. However if you know what you are doing, and perhaps are comfortable setting up home network protocol/UPnP bridges or service aggregators, or you are simply more interested in the 272 sound on local private streaming, and you get a good price for the N-272 then go for it.

1 Like

Ah, I misread that.
Yes, I might try and plug my laptop in and give it a whirl again.
What app do you control it with?

Hi JD, I have the Sonore UPNP bridge but never tried Tidal or the Node so can’t compare there. The bridge plugs into the BT router so there is no need to connect it to the Naim kit, this is very neat. I use Roon IPad app to connect to Qobuz, so far works great.

Thanks BB
Did you buy it from the uk or US?
Small green computer?
Does the same LP on Qobuz sound better in hires version than cd res to you?
What app do you control Qobuz with, and is it ok?

Had to buy it from the SGC website in the US (it comes with a US plug only). I have not any serious comparison but Qobuz in hi res sounds very good.

1 Like

I don’t use Tidal anymore so hard to judge the difference between Tidal and Qobuz.

Cables used:-
Mark Grant HDX1 Pure Copper Digital Coax cable RCA - BNC (connected to 272 BNC input 1)
Mark Grant DSP 1.0 Dual Screened Power Cable – Figure 8 Connector

Qobuz HiRes sounds better than the CD copies I have on my NAS via Minimserver with FLAC to WAV transcoding and I would say 80% of my listening is now via Qobuz.

BluOS app is rock solid and so is the Node 2i device with updates over the air and I have had two since I purchased the Node a few months back.

Radio paradise via BluOS is the FLAC version with artist info etc and sounds superb.

Screen shot from BluOS

I purchased the Node from Audio Affair if you log onto their web site they have a fair bit of info on the product, not sure what their returns policy is though but I don’t think you will be disappointed the Node 2i is an excellent product and you just need to get your head around how good this can sound for less than £500 compared to Naim streamers.

Screen shot from BluOS

Info on the artist with links to web sites

1 Like

Did the CD copies you have on your NAS via Minimserver with FLAC to WAV transcoding sound better than native Tidal on the 272 from your memory?
Thanks
Jim

I don’t know how one can agree with the above post.

There has been no confirmation that a replacement to the 272 is in the pipeline, and no suggestion from Naim that software updates for the 272 have ceased.

Yes, I agree that the new streamers have improved things, but the previous post in my opinion is spreading false information.

Thanks JM, this answers a question I had.

1 Like

CDs via the NAS always sounded better then via Tidal.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.