272 vs 222 sound quality

@Django84
Good questions my fellow medico.
272/555dr vs Selekt Edition Hub with dual Organik DACS at $30k nz
The Linn had a greater 3 dimensional quality, more space between instruments and was still very toe tapping. It could clearly juggle a lot of musical threads at once and was fast and rhythmical. Also more detail and nuance. I played “Los” from Rammsteins Reise album and it was utterly front of the seat stunning, no lack of welly there. It seemed to turbocharge the speakers and amplifier. It really rocks.

In comparison the naim combo was slight more solid state grainy in sound. Flatter soundstage but still very good. Musicians on average more front forward into the room. Overall very good by any standards just lacking the finesse and detail of the Linn.

I suspect the Linn at this level is close to state of the art in streaming as its bigger brother uses the same DACs . I am sure the $72k nz Klimax streamer is slightly better but it is one of the best there is.

It may be that the Selekt streamer I have reviewed here would be at least as good as the NDS/555dr with the advantage of a much faster and more reliable streamer app and lack of redundancy issues. But I have not heard one for years so take that with a grain of salt. I am sure Steve at Real music would be happy to give you a home trial. I had my trial for a week.

2 Likes

You might find this thread useful if you haven’t seen it:

1 Like

Very interesting - many thanks. And that was with the selekt straight into the 250dr? I think I just might pop in to RM and have a chat…

1 Like

Yes, direct to 250dr. They have the cable that connects the two boxes.

1 Like

Hi Mike…yes, saw that thread. Hmm…yet another box and the primary issue for me now is the loss of decent, guaranteed support and servicing in NZ. I think that has always been a big Naim drawcard and established its loyal following. After 25 years of proud and faithful Naim ownership, not to mention a lot of $$$ spent on the brand and none other over this period, they’ve lost me. On the source front, it looks like they’re being out-played too (in more than one sense). Thanks for your advice though!

4 Likes

It’s a damn shame the way the brand has been marketed both here and in NZ. Lack of knowledge lack of support and lack of presence has left Naim in a bit of a hole. The only saving grace for us in Sydney is we still have a fantastic dealer that knows more about Naim than anyone else. If we lost him I too would look elsewhere (or nowhere). Good luck in your search.

6 Likes

It is a bit of a shame as I think NZ has the highest naim ownership per capita worldwide. Perhaps one day a hero naim dealer will appear as they gain more experience with the brand.

3 Likes

Yes, I know, and it sucks. We are all in the same boat unfortunately. I actually bought a new 250DR from PM after a balls-up with Naim not supplying RM with my order before the change in dealers, only for it to then turn up later. Since then I grabbed a bargain used 552/300 from PM for a real bargain (not sure they knew the market). But yes, servicing is a risk and PM basically told me any defects within the 2 year warranty are basically replaced with a new unit as there is no formal service agent. Apparently Cowan Audio in Wellington will service Naim amps.

I’m not in the market now for any new gear, but in NZ it would be hard to go past the Linn options with RM as it’s great gear and the service from RM is second to none. In fact, they are doing a little upgrade on my vintage Rega Planar 3 this month. Last year RM fixed a relay in my NDX2 I’d bought new from them for free even though it was out of the 2 year warranty.

It will be interesting to see if the new guys end up needing to clear classic boxes with the new range coming out. An “at cost” clearance of a ND555 might tempt me……

3 Likes

I’ve been offered a good deal on a 300DR but I’d really like to know how it’s sounds against the new 250. Don’t think anyone’s compared the 2 yet as everyone seems to be waiting on cables.

2 Likes

I’m a bit of purest and personally would run a 300DR with a 252DR, as they have the same design, the separate power supplies and grounding through the power supplies and will have a complementary sound signature. You should be able to get the 300DR for less than the NC250, though you’ll need an extra Fraim level :flushed: The 300DR is on sale here for just shy of $13K versus $15K for the new 250.

1 Like

Yes - that’s the one thing that’s been holding me back. Perhaps the distributor will change again (soon) and we’ll get some good old fashioned dealers and service back.

1 Like

Yes a new Fraim level and a new cable from our friends.

2 Likes

RM are great aren’t they. I didn’t know about Cowan Audio but no ‘formal’ service agent? The 2 year warranty with no clear backup thereafter gives me the hee-bees. Although the Naim gear I’ve had over the years has been pretty reliable, I did have two HDX’s that went awry and an xps problem shortly after warranty expiry. RM sorted it.

2 Likes

Yes. You can’t beat them. The most unreliable gear is the streaming boxes. Amps and power supplies are more easily fixable. Cowan is strong on amps and power supplies but no so with the computer stuff. That support will probably devolve to Melbourne I think.

3 Likes

Thanks folks for your input - I kind of hijacked the thread. It got me venting! Apologies. I’d be really interested to hear what you do IDAK.

3 Likes

I’m playing the long game. Not buying anything till I retire next year. I am still curious to know how the 222 compares with the 272. Time will tell. At the moment the Selekt is the front runner.

4 Likes

I’ve had the 272 and now the 222. The digital section of the 222 is remarkably better sounding. It’s clearer and faster is the best way to describe it.

7 Likes

Thanks very much. It is good to know

Ive recently switched from a 272 with xps to a bare 222. Significant improvement to my ears, its superb.

Also realised the other day that i can stream to my muso v1 using the nsc as a transport which is excellent, neans i can get qobuz or even a cd input via the 222 to play via the muso upstairs.

5 Likes

Then I have to ask if it’s okay. How do you know it’s the digital that sounds better in the 222 compared to the 272 and not the preamp?