282/250DR....hmmm...or SN3?

@Mike_S
My sources are LP12, Cirkus, Keel, Lingo 4, Ittok LVII, Krystal and CD5X/Linn Karik (temporary until I get the 5X serviced - yep, I connected it wrong one time and screwed up the something-or-other input at the back. Commonish error from what I read…)
Hadn’t realised the Headline would also need its own PS. This is beginning to sound like a lot of Fraim shelves!

@benjy
Thanks! My LP12 is wall-mounted too. Just a question of
A/ Cash
B/ Space for a higher rack - and the permission of my sweet wife.

Audio gains aside, I know she’d plump immediately for the SN3 option (new arm etc she would not notice ). She was not a huge fan of the 32/SNAPS/250 last time! But that was on three Sound Org tables running across one wall :slight_smile:

@Svetty and @Yeti
Thanks!

1 Like

I’m not really familiar with your gear. I like to stay in the Naim family, so migrated from a Nova. A SN3 is no slouch and if you are going streaming it would be worth comparing a NDX2 and PS with a SN2 against the 282/250 combo with your current gear if low box count is a consideration and you want to manage a budget (mission impossible it seems…).

1 Like

@Mike_S

Thanks Mike!
Rereading my sources above, I can see why it may look like a collection of different boxes, lol.
I should have said, simply, Linn Sondek LP12 (the other parts are ‘just’ upgrades to it).

Apart from my current speakers being ProAcs - I’ve had only Linn &/or Linn/Naim systems since the 80s. I quite understand staying with the Naim family - when I changed back to their amplification from my Linn integrated amp it was a joyous relief!

2 Likes

I haven’t heard the SN3 but the SN2 is mighty impressive. But if everything else is = a separate pre/power configuration at 282/250 level is going to provide far greater insight into the music.

But as ever, extensive demo required.

Regards,

Lindsay

If you can’t splurge on a 282 (or are hoping that naim will come out with a better preamp) you can always do what I’m running in my second system - UQ2 => Naim Dac => Nac 72/HicapDR/Nap250DR.

1 Like

What’s your view as to how many boxes you want in your setup? Obviously the integrated amp allows you to stay with a lower box count.

Further, with the SN3, you’ll have the satisfaction of knowing that you have the BEST integrated Naim offer at this time, and it’s brand new and the result of quite a bit of research to ‘up’ the SN2. OTOH, if you go 282/250DR, you might have in the back of your mind that you’re only midway in the range of what Naim offer for separates. Will you be satisfied??

3 Likes

Just an opinion. If you are solely looking at sound quality, I suspect the Supernait 3 will not be able to match the 282/HicapDR/250DR (I believe you need the HicapDR to power the 282). Assuming the Supernait 3 sounds almost the same as the Supernait 2, the above experiences have shown that to be the case.

The advantage of the Supernait 3 is it’s a neat one-box solution which contributes to the absence of clutter. To me, that has always been the appeal of an integrated amplifier. However, if one is looking at sound quality, I believe there is no other way with Naim other than to look at the separates. The 282/HicapDR/250DR cost £10,096 and the Supernait 2 costs £3,249. The Supernait 3 may cost up to £3,500 and based on the price I don’t see how the Supernait 3 could match up to the performance of the larger separates. If the Supernait 3 is priced at £6,000 to 7,000, then I would seriously consider the integrated to be a contender to the 282/HicapDR/250DR although it is a known fact that it is technically not possible for a one box to outperform multiple boxes with Naim.

In summary, I believe you pick an amp based on your criteria ie. sound quality, power requirement of your speakers, one-box vs multiple boxes, usage based on features as the Supernait 3 has a built-in phonostage for vinyl, input for headphone amp, streamers etc. Although one may upgrade the Supernait 3 with an external power supply, as mentioned earlier the appeal of an integrated is a neat one-box solution and in my mind it’s best to just leave the integrated alone. Nevertheless, the power supply upgrade provides users with the flexibility for further upgrades if they intend to add more to the sound (or the rack) at a later stage.

If you pick the 282/HicapDR/250DR, there is more room to succumb to temptations of the superior boxes further up the chain but to me it is entirely dependent on the user. The 282/250DR or the Supernait 3 or any other amp combination can very well be an end-game system if the owner chooses to go that path.

4 Likes

This is very true in my case. I enjoyed my SN2 partnered with HCDR/nDAC/555PSDR and CD5XS and Core as sources. After getting my NDX2 then adding the PSU, I found I wasn’t hearing all the detail in the music. The pre section in the SN2 is good but it’s simply not on a par with a 282.

I liked the neat one box solution of the SN2 (or 2 boxes with a PSU added), but if you want greater detail and insight from your music then pre and power route is the way to go. Just be wary of the temptations higher up the pre/power food chain…

As good as Supernait 2 is, the 282/Hcdr/250dr is a very good amplifier… that’s the one I went go for

Given that comment I’d be going for the 282/250 option without a moment’s thought. Your excellent LP12 deserves nothing less, and probably more. If I were you I’d consider fitting a Prefix (you can get them secondhand) inside the LP12 and powering it from the 282. I’ve always found the Prefix much more satisfying than the rather disappointing Stageline. If you could get a Supercap it would lift things to a much higher level. Linn also make an onboard phono stage that can be powered by the same offboard power supply that powers the motor. I’m not sure what it’s called but it would be worth looking into.

Going for an olive 82/sc/250 would save you a load of money and get close to the sound of new units.

Clever thinking! It may be possible to get a 52 within budget too. And with inbuilt phono cards there is no need to a separate phono stage.

I tend to prefer olive and chrome bumpers vs classic
thinking prices you simply get much more buying the older stuff and eventually get it serviced
the new Naim is way too expensive fwiw imo

Thanks all for your posts! Lots to think about!
I’m a bit tied up with work, but will respond more fully when I get the time :slight_smile:

Luckily I won’t have any cash for this until October or November so plenty of time to explore the options.
Thanks again!

I was wrong about the phono stage, I do indeed have a prefix fitted inside my lp 12 it is powered by the 282 itself, I could power it from fc2 which can power 2 things at once, but another cable is needed and even the distance was a problem. The idea of seperates is more appealing as incremental changes can be made, rather than complete change sn3 to sn4 (?) if they ever get that far.

I ve the same doubt regarding amp choice. I have a dac v1 but my preferred source is rp10 with ios phono stage. I ve to move to a new amp because of space constraint. I m evaluating a sn3 or a 250dr with townshend allegri.
Your opinions?

I really wanted to like an Allegri between an NDX and a 250, but found it was no match for my 282.

1 Like

I’m using an allegri+ with a 250DR and an NDS. It is replacing a 282/HC DR. Very pleased with it and helps reduce the box count and power cords.

@ChrisSU I m sure it match 282 for transparency but my doubt is regarding timing, in which 282 is able to connect perfectly music and listener

That’s what I was expecting, but what I actually heard was a slightly veiled, muffled sound from the Allegri, and greater clarity from the 282. I was hoping that it might be a good way to simplify my system and cut down on boxes, but unless I can get it sounding better, the 282 stays.