282 > 252 or 552 to upgrade or not to

That’s the Pre’s job! :+1:t2:

I am sure we can argue till Dooms Day over whether pre or source is the most important for our replay. We step on our paths and learn along the way and form our opinions, and it will of course always have IMHO attached to it, as we apparently all hear things differently. ATB Peter

4 Likes

And I agree with you about a XPS DR on a NDX2. That puts it on a whole new level. I also experienced the immediate and substantial improvement.

1 Like

I changed the post to differentiate between the pre and power, the logic is the same :sunglasses:

It would be really nice to be able to do an A/B comparison, but I’ve never had that luxury. As long as we all enjoy our music, what’s not to like?

4 Likes

Ok here’s an interesting one.

Incoming power supply is ultimately the main Source.
How does, if at all this have a sonic contribution between countries. As we know you guys in America are using 120v 60hz and many others 230v 50hz.
Obviously Naim adapt this depending on where the products are going but does this change the sound characteristics of the same components? If not why not?
Maybe @NeilS can answer? :man_shrugging::thinking:

True Mike. However, I personally have no doubt that source is first, pre second etc. Based on logic and 40 years of splashing cash on hifi. I am not at war with those that disagree, but for me this is a fundamental truth.

4 Likes

Anyone with a S1 pre would probably debate that with you. :joy:

1 Like

What comes in from the grid is alternating current (AC). Your Hifi runs in direct current (DC). The transformer in your source/amplifier/power supply makes that change.

To my simple mind, and I’m not an electrical/electronic engineer, as long as what’s coming out of the transformer as DC is the same, what’s going in is irrelevant.

I’m happy to be corrected or see a more detailed explanation by someone in the know. But I think I essence that’s it.

1 Like

Indeed popeye and it is interesting in that respect my order of plug in into my G3 distribution is 500-S1-555 PS(a)-555PS(d). System sounds far the best that way. ATB Peter
But as good ol’ DB finishes many of his clever posts; ‘ just what I found…’ :wink:

1 Like

They are more than welcome Popeye. I only claim it as my truth. It guides me and has proved a wise counsel.

When I was deciding whether to upgrade my NDS or my 252, I did an A/B test at my dealers of ND555/PS555DR/252/SuperCapDR/300DR/Kudos 707 vs NDS/PS555DR/552 Non DR/300DR/Kudos 707.

As the 552 based system sounded better to me at the dealers, I took the 552 home to try in my system (NDS/PS555DR/252/SuperCapDR/250DR). The 552 was not returned, and the 252/SuperCapDR was traded in. I had reached the point where a pre amp upgrade trumped a source upgrade.

Next step was of course exchanging my NDS for a ND555.

4 Likes

For debate, this might suggest the NDS/555 is a good enough source to support a better NAC?

IMO at this level upgrading any single components will be a step forward. The 552 is an iconic product and on an upgrade path it’s got to be a great choice.

To me it was apparent the pre amp upgrade gave more than the streamer upgrade in that system. I could have gone for the ND555 before the 552, perfectly reasonable thing to do. But I believe I got more enhanced SQ by going for the 552 before the ND555.

No big deal, either course would have been great.

2 Likes

I also find that everything opens up and begins to sparkle with a bit of extra volume. For me its at just past ‘20 to’ on the dial. I know some on here don’t like B&W’s but I find the 805d3s fantastic and ideal for my small lounge which is about 4m x 3.5m. I will be interested to hear how an upgrade in power amp will improve things. I may go straight for the 300 but that will bea while yet, they ain’t cheap!

Andy

2 Likes

@Inmynaim

When I got my 250DR, I found it was a good leap up - as it should be - from my XS2 and SN3 (used for a while as power amps) with the 282, in terms of ‘grip’ and solidity of bass. I had been vaguely thinking about a sub - didn’t think I needed it after the 250.
My room is roughly 17’ by 10.5’ (sorry Andy, I’m not much good at metrics!)

Hi popeye,
That’s a mighty broad question & one I’m probably not qualified to answer.
Scratching the surface of many variables within the UK power distribution network, we have different brand transformers, air cooled, oil cooled, pole mounted, ground mounted, transformer temperature varies with current demand, the LV (230V) cables can be individual copper conductors or aluminium ABC (Aerial Bundled Cable), different earthing arrangements at the consumer’s end (TT, TN-S or TN-C-S), different size meter tails etc.
If a dedicated feed for your hifi is thought to make a difference, then surely all these factors have the potential to also have an influence?

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Hi Stevie, you arent the only one to normally revert to feet and inches!! I do have an REL sub which significantly improves (to use your phrase) grip and solidity. That is another aspect to upgrading the power amp - will I need the sub. Its a big old lump!

Andy

1 Like

Heh, I just copied the ‘grip’ term from others… I’m not too good with metrics or SQ description!

I like the look of the Naim “lump” I must say. I’m not sure what the word is for murdering one’s husband, but my wife would surely qualify if I brought a sub home!

1 Like

Thats ok Stevie it did the job!!

1 Like