282 > 252 or 552 to upgrade or not to

Hi Phil,
I am unsure how to read into your post having addressed me personally in your post.
Are you having this academic discussion with yourself or is it a case of highlighting badly given advice by myself?
We are digressing here and maybe the subject of ‘ how we listen to our music via our systems’
could form a new thread in its own right.
However, if it is a case of having given poor advice please name it, at least giving me a chance to defend myself or even apologise if necessary.
The last thing I would want is to step on anybody’s toes here. We can all only advise based on our own experiences with gear over the years and based on listening habits and ‘all hearing our replay differently’. As always no rights or wrongs, as all findings here are very personal.
If I may say, to me it seems the better a preamp gets in the Naim hierarchy the less character it seems to have getting in the way of ‘ the music’.
I am attaching a IMHO here of course.
So please Phil if there’s slight axe to grind here, by all means let me know!? :+1:t3: ATB Peter
PS. I wasn’t the one calling the 252 smooth btw.

I think the first paragraph responded to you. The second was on the theme of 252 or 552, which seemed relevant. Certainly can’t think of any axes to grind!

Phil

1 Like

Hi Phil,

My apologies for having read into your post wrongly, maybe I’m being Covid-tetchy today🤕
All the best Peter

1 Like

Hi Simon,

I would love to read your journey. Unless of course I’ve missed it…?

My apologies to the OP and this fine thread.

1 Like

Dusty… are you sure? :grinning:
I’ll write up before too long…

2 Likes

O yes please Simon. I love to read people’s journeys. The options now available to us to listen to our passion, music has changed so much in recent years and I would be interested to read your thoughts. I am somewhat at a crossroads although no immediate plans to change. I do like to read how/why people take a leap in a different direction.

Anyways, I’m taking things off topic and i hear Richards size 9’s heading in my direction :wink::joy:

1 Like

Over the years I’ve listened to various configurations with the top Naim preamps but quite often to the system of one forum member who has a Roksan TMS3/CD555/Nat 01/552/500/Kudos 808 and the word I would use to describe the effect of the 552 is visceral. The 282 no doubt is an absorbing, dynamic listen, the 252 provides for more resolution and warmth, but the 552 just immerses you completely in the music. I’ve yet to hear the S1 in a properly set up domestic system, and not sure that I should :grinning:

Regards,

Lindsay

4 Likes

I had this with my 552, dealer popped round with his 552 and it was night and day difference performance wise - my 552 has gone back to base for repair!
Gary

Forgot what «this» is. Is the tricky part what you are referring to?

It was a bit harsh in the start but as it warmed up I now really like it! Still considering service and DR (for the supercap) though.

Mines in and has been doing the business for a few days. Currently using the SN2 as a power amp. My, some delightful moments for sure. I’ll be in heaven when the 250 arrives :sunglasses:

7 Likes

You definitely will be Mike I can vouch for that

4 Likes

As you know, I’ve order the 250 rather than the 300, the same as you have. I thought the 300 might be under-utilised for the listening room and speakers, really warranting a larger room and speakers. What was your rationale for the 250 over the more common 252/300 setup @Bevo ?

That’s very similar to my journey albeit with LP12 front end and Nac52 instead of 252.

Nac152xs/Flatcap Xs/Nap155xs
Nac52/supercap/Nap155xs
Nac52/supercap/Nap300 non dr.
Endgame.

Hi Mike

Yes same thinking as you re 250 vs 300. My room is relatively small , the 250 and the stand mount Neat Ultimatum XLS’s really suit it . Lots of discussion with my wonderful Naim dealer ( same dealer as Pete’s) and he recommended the 250. It’s a really well balanced system . Yes if I had a larger space and went for floor standing speakers it would have been a slightly harder decision, but I’m happy as I reckon you will. The 250dr is a cracker and in my view a bargain

In the past I’ve had a full blown 500 based CD system , the works, not in this location, but I really love this system and in lots of ways I prefer it over the bigger one .

Cheers
PS go AB’s

1 Like

I hope I can contribute to this thread in a few weeks and share my experience. After the recent acoustic treatment in my house, I decided to purchase an ND555. It should arrive in a few weeks and will replace the current NDX2.

At time of ordering I very much doubted to invest in either the 552 (replacing my 252) or the ND555. Unfortunately their was no dealer in BeNeLux where I could audition. In the end I called Naim for advice. There was a slight stronger suggestion from their side to start with ND555, so I did. 552 will be for another year.

Iver

3 Likes

Nice one @IvdZ

I had the same amplification as you with an NDS/555DR.

I chose to go 552DR first as I was offered a great deal on a new one just over 12 months ago. I’ve recently upgraded my NDS to an ND555. Both were great upgrades so I’m sure you’ll enjoy :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi @Buryfc , thanks for the note. Looking forward !!
Iver

Just gone down the very same road Iver. The ND555 is indeed a whole new world, even with a 252.

G

1 Like

look at this: https://youtu.be/vGEUEzx80nI
@GraemeH

Yes but you dont use something that you dont make or more importantly dont sell anymore, especially when you now make the NDS, which you are trying to sell, as this gives off the wrong message and says the CD555 is better and sorry about the NDS, but its not as good, but please buy it.