282 > 252 or 552 to upgrade or not to

The 252 is more revealing than the 282 (as you’d expect) and smoother. If anything it can be a touch too smooth at times and sometimes lacks a bit of the 282’s upfront character but I’d say it’s the more natural of the two.

3 Likes

Outrageous! Smooth mischief or rough? :wink:

If that’s the case, maybe I should do nothing. But I doubt it.

Make sure that you listen and really want a 252.

One of my biggest regrets is to buy a 252 from my dealer without any proper listening first, I ended up selling it later a loss.

I suggest that you go straight to a 552 if you have the fund.

2 Likes

I’m a bit perplexed with the notion that a 252 isn’t that good and should be skipped in favor of a 552 at double the price.

If I had the opportunity for a used 252 or 552 to go with my NDX2/XPS DR, wouldn’t the 252 be a better match at the top end of the classic range, with the 552 being too good for my source? - A 552 would result in a cycle of catch-up to balance out the whole system, with a bigger that the 552 is under utilized?

2 Likes

I owned it for more than a year, and I was not entirely happy until I replaced it with a 553.
Mind you, it is not too bad, but I would be happier with a 72.

I’ve a mate with a 72 with updated boards and it does sound pretty good for sure. Quite a “live” type of presentation, though I think my SN2 has a more engaging sound stage. I’d have either to be honest.

Not at all. I enjoy my NDX2 (albeit with an external DAC) with my 552. The 552 will bring out the best of a quality source and will transform your system.

2 Likes

@Mike_S I can assure you the 252 is a stunning Pre AMP - having gone through 202, 282 and now 252 is pretty special, yes it demands more from source but with a good source matched well the 252 is lovely

had mine since 2018 moved up from 282/SC which in it’s self is damn good, but IMO the 252 is on another level

as for those of us on financial basis that 552 is but a dream even SH I am more than happy, do I feel short changed in any way - in NO way

10 Likes

My previous Rega P9 & Isis sounded great with my old 252/300 but a bit soft and ultimately lacking some involvement with the 552/500. It took a Klimax spec LP12 & a CD555 to restore the balance.

System balance is definitely the key IMO.

3 Likes

That gives me some comfort. I’m lining up a 252/Supercap for my system (NDX 2/XPS/250DR/SL2;s ), replacing the SuperUniti on pre-amp duties. The “you’ll need a 552 to have it properly humming” comments were giving me second thoughts…

2 Likes

for me each NAC which I have used over the years 202, 282, 252 delivers music and as you move up the range the control, focus and delivery of the music flows

I use NDX into my 252 as second source, so your NDX2/XPS is going to sound lovely - owning a 252 does not make me feel I need to get the 552 as I seem to be missing something - what I am is delighted with my system

2 Likes

It does seem odd to me that the 252 seems to be the divisive pre-amp in Naim’s range. I assume this is longstanding from all the posts I’ve read and it seems 252 is a highly individual experience
(which is kind of tantalising in itself…Forrest’s “box o’ choclats”! )

Or does the 252 disappoint some partly because it’s not the 552? Or the legendary 52. I’ve heard neither so…

Mine arrives tomorrow, and I really am unsure what to expect!
I like “richer”, “maturer” and “good at low volume” but not sure about “smooth” (equalling) “boring” or even “bland”. I’m hoping it will be my last pre stop, cos no way can I then start itching over a 552 - an itch that will never be scratched…sigh…

Worst case, I’ll keep the 282 - which is no worse case at all. Boy, am I on tenterhooks - come on UPS!

4 Likes

Don’t worry at all. It’s a fantastic amp.

It could very easily have been my final amp but I got such a good deal on a 552 I couldn’t resist.

Have you not demo’d it before purchase though ?

1 Like

@Buryfc
Afraid not - saw a good opportunity to get an almost new (Dec 2019), at a price I could afford.
I thought “let’s settle this upgradeitis once and for all”!

Possibly magical thinking :crazy_face:

1 Like

When I said smooth, I suppose what i meant is more in control of things than the 282. I noticed I was listening at louder levels (not dangerous obvs) without realising it as it just gripped the music better.

You’ll love it I’m sure.

2 Likes

@RackKit

That definition of smoothness is near-perfect for me. Reassuring, thanks!

3 Likes

That’s exactly it.

That’s the feeling you get when reducing distortion.

The main difference between the NACs , 200/282/252/552/S1 , is the higher you go in the product range the less harm it does to the signal coming from the source.

5 Likes

It is so hard to describe sound in words, I have also been very confused especially when I read some say the 282 sounds fuller or more forward. I have never heard it, but recently got a used 252, and I cant understand how a preamp can be more forward that this is without adding something to the music.
The first days I found it to be a bit much, almost in my face. But I realized also I just needent play as loud as i did before.
Aftes a couple of weeks i really like it. I feel it does not add or take anything, its not warm nor cold.
It brings down the noise-floor and thereby bringing out details. I makes my 300DR sound like it has 300w, and is extremely good at low level volumes, so much that you really do not need to play loud. And I have to change the volume more, depending on music. Neuances in playback volume really comes trough, so I have to adjust accordingly more often than before.

Let me know how you find it compared to the 282, interesting as I never heard it. But let the 252 play for some day or maybe weeks first.

4 Likes

When I had my 252 I used to find myself continually nudging the volume up as you don’t get much distortion. To me it wouldn’t sound loud as it was so clear. Then, a family would come into the room and say something. Their lips would move but I couldn’t hear anything. It was usually turn that bloody music down :joy:.

9 Likes