282 and HiCap plus speaker upgrade

Why would Naim offer two Hicaps as an evolution on one if it disrupts the earthing arrangement? Please elaborate? Maybe @Richard.Dane could add context here too?

1 Like

555psdr is a very big upgrade over xpsdr on an ndx2.
Just made this move and source first still has merit.
Expensive though.

1 Like

I’ve much the same system, single hi-cap dr and no xps, also have linn (near akurate level) with mega aura as phono stage. My speakers are Harbeth M30.1, not the perfect speaker, but does sound very good and is a speaker that will not cause fatigue and can be listened to for long periods of time. Might be a speaker worth considering or one of the updated versions.

The Supercap is the real upgrade, and avoids the issue, but two hicaps can be used as a cheaper alternative. Back in the day I added a second Hicap to my 82 - which is pretty much the same as the 282 - and it made no appreciable difference.

The “issue” with two Hicaps is that the signal earth can only run through one of them, as only one provides signal to the Power amp. It’s not ideal, but there’s no way around it, and it is still a step up on a single Hicap. Of course, if you use a Supercap, supplying both sides of the NAC82 or NAC282, your “issue” is avoided…

1 Like

All I can do is reflect my own experience from installing dedicated mains, and that of many others who found similar results. It gives clean power from the meter to the stereo, without being affected by all the other stuff in the house, and should give a clearer, more open and dynamic sound. I’d put this - which doesn’t cost much at all - as a much higher priority than spending ‘thousands on Powerlines’. It’s a totally different thing to the wires in the road - we can’t do anything about those and the comparison is irrelevant.

It’s a shame that so many people have very expensive systems hanging off a cheap mains block from B&Q and connected to the house ring main. For a few hundred pounds they could release so much more of the system’s potential. I don’t call that obsessive, I just call it common sense good advice.

4 Likes

Is there a link that provides all the specification detail to provide to an electrician to get hifi quality dedicated mains properly installed. It’s easy buying a black box from Naim, however to the uninitiated this mains change is more daunting. In advance thanks.

Naim recommend a 10mm radial from a dedicated consumer unit using a 32amp type C breaker. Using unswitched sockets at you Hifi location.

Tails split at consumer box using a Henley block.

Best

Popeye

1 Like

Thank you.

The other thing worth mentioning is to take the earth from the new consumer unit back to the meter box - don’t piggy back off the existing consumer unit. I use a 50 amp breaker on mine.

Thank you.

@anon4489532 is right, dedicated mains in the form of a radial spur is the best upgrade you can make. Also a SC over 2x HCs is far better.

With regard to speakers it really depends on your room and budget, and the only sure way is a home demo which in the current climate will obviously be very difficult if not impossible. The usual recommendations include Kudos, Neat, Dynaudio amongst others as well as Focal.

Regards,

Lindsay

Thanks all as always for the advice.
I have my electrician booked to scope the job next week.
I am also researching some of the Russ Andrews products like the power purifier or power balancer as options.

HiCap I will leave for now and potentially look at a SuperCap down the line.

Speakers I will need to home demo so that will be down the line also.

Thanks again Doug

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.