282 channel problem?

hello dear forum friends,
i have a question…
somehow one of my stereo channels seems
to be a bit “weaker” than the other.
music appears not as loud, present and a bit flat compared to the other channel.
i tried different sources - same result.
i tried different speaker cables - same result.
i tried to swap the channels - the weaknes swaps accordingly.
so for my understanding, it can not be the source, it can not be the position of the speaker, it can not be the LS cable.
it can also not be the power amp, cause i had the same symptoms with two different NAPs
)200 and 300dr ).
What do you think ? anyone any thoughts on how to keep tracing the problem ?
thank you so much, best cv

1 Like

Is it the same if you engage the mono switch on the NAC282?

Have you tried fully exercising the balance control back and forth a bit, just in case the tracks need a wipe?

dear richard, yes, i have put balance to both extreme sides… this is when it becomes very obvious that one is weaker than the other…
what is the mono switch ?

1 Like

On the top bank of switches on the NAC282 press the MON button. This combines both channels to MONO.

ah, ok, yes… still the same. compared the one channel sounds always more “dull”.
like if someone would have placed a cloth or net or such over it.
that channel is always a bit more subdued in a way.

1 Like

OK, sounds like it perhaps needs some TLC from a service.

One last thing; have you ruled out the PS and any attendant SNAIC? Have you tried connecting the NAP200 directly so it powers the NAC282?

1 Like

It looks like the OP has a 300 but the FC XS could be borrowed from powering the CD5XS and put in place of the SCDR (put the link plug 2 back in on the 282 and just use one SNAIC)to rule out the SCDR as being the problem.

thank you both, Richard and James,
I think the SCDR can not be the problem,
as the lag of performance on one channel
was present already backg then while i had a hicap in place instead of the SCDR.
it is very strange…. :thinking:

2 Likes

Ah ok. As Richard suggests, it sounds like the 282 needs attention seeing as you appear to have ruled everything else out. Good luck🤞

Actually just one more thing… how do you have the 282 positioned. On its own, stacked on some other component ?

Check, double check and triple check the cables. All of them. I had a loose connection on my sons Nait 3/ Thorens turntable system at weekend and phono leads into Nait 3 weren’t pushed in enough. Gave them a good push in and problem solved. Could be interconnects or any cables. Worth a try.

I have had this with my main system also. Cables can work themselves loose over time and putting cables back in carefully and taking your time to clean everything can make a huge difference. Of course it could be your 282 needs servicing.

1 Like

I had a similar problem eventually tracking it down to a broken solder joint on one banana plug (it was working but due to tape holding it together) and a weak joint on the other (two strands of NAC A5). Remade all solder joints and everything snapped back into focus. The issue only became apparent after 10 years of unplugging with two substandard joints). Always worth checking the mundane things.

1 Like

thank you again !
the 282 sits ontop of nap, but elevated by
these little wooden absorber feet…
next to it on the left CD and NDX and to the right, lehmann pre phono amp.
the PSUs are down below on the right side
of the sideboard. attached a picture…

1 Like

thank you san ! will check them all !!

1 Like

on it ! thank you Paul for sharing your experiences.
will go through them all !
fingers crossed!

sorry, “san” was a typo mistake, should have been “thank you Dan !!”

1 Like

Ah ok, it’s the 300 head unit not the PS so it’s not sitting over a big transformer. Ok :+1:

Might be stating the obvious here but your balance knob appears to be to the left slightly. Wouldn’t it be nice if that fixed it but I doubt very much that’s the problem.

:joy: yes, that would be an easy fix :joy::joy:
but no, it is intentionally a bit left to “work against the weakness”……

2 Likes

no its not l, the PSs are all as far away as possible in my room setup.