282 etal a bit dated?

Ha !
I read that, but can’t honestly read the text on my SN2 buttons
Its in the lowest rack shelf and my bag hurts if I need to go down there.
:grin:

1 Like

That feels a much better selection of options on the SN3

2 Likes

The classic serie is exactly 20 years old (except for the “DR” upgrade of power amplifiers and power supplies had a few years ago), so it will it be updated (internally and/or externally) sooner or later?

David

I don’t think more can be added than …

… and the wishes and speculations discussed in the older threads that were linked

1 Like

My ‘guess’ is that Naim will (continue to) slowly discontinue any products which don’t sell so well. I would suggest some of the Classic line are likely to go.

What Naim will surely concentrate on is more products which will likely sell in shed loads - which is more like the Atom HE and similar ‘multi functional’ all-in-one units. But - I could see this including something like a NAC272 Version 2. A multi functional Classic Pre Amp which can ‘front’ any of the Classic NAP’s.

Just my thoughts… YMMV, as always.

Careful what you wish for, Focal/Naim are doing so well in the lifestyle market with the Mu-so they may decide that’s where the future lies and give everything a makeover to appeal to the designer set.

1 Like

As new 282 owner without my reading glasses I cannot see the print on the input buttons anyway!!!

Saying that the 282 is that good maybe rename the HDD button to stream then it’s set for another 20 years :grin:

2 Likes

CD and AV are the only inputs I use…

Love the psychology that says ’ I use ‘x’and ‘y’ so other inputs are outdated’… :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Of course, if you had a 52, 82 or 102 you could find one of the sheets of sticky labels and change the switch labels to whatever suits your fancy.

FWIW… having just purchased a new 282 all I can say is that it sounds sweet! …it doesn’t sound dated to me.

6 Likes

Sound isn’t dated at all. Just the input names. Easy to modernise I’m sure. Naim have chosen not to. Allowing us to believe it is still 2001, and cd is current.

1 Like

I owned 202, 282 and then a 252. On each one there are several buttons that I never used and thus for me were totally redundant. This functionality must come at a cost. Many, or most, users could do without them I suspect.

1 Like

As Richard already explained in the previously linked older threads, the cost comes mainly from creating 2 inputs, which certainly the large majority wants. Once you have the necessary circuitry for this, adding a few more adds only marginal cost. And I would say certainly less than what the cost for Naim would be to build and manage the selling of different models with one, two, three, four, and five inputs.
You bought a 14.000 euro pre and are concerned about a few pence for plastic buttons, wire, and relays? Do you also want car makers to sell a second model without a passenger door for those who always drive alone? :smiley:

6 Likes

I never understood who needs to record stuff … the 282 looks stupid (imho), I would buy the 202 if going the separates route, or just the SN and enjoy.

Even if you cannot imagine it, not everyone has the same needs as you. And as mentioned already, the record out buttons are often used for headphone amps.
Personally, I love the classic look of my 252. Judging by how many 282s and 252s are apparently sold (going by the very frequent forum posts announcing purchases), I guess I am not alone.

If you were to buy the 202 instead of a 252, your priorities are a bit odd, if you allow me to say. And I don’t believe you, if you had an NDX2 + PS and a 300, or wanted to go there, you would most definitely not buy a 202

2 Likes

At some point the private equity group (Alpha) will want to realise their investment. They doubtless would have had potential buyers in mind when they went into the transaction and that will inpart be driving the direction. So you have to imagine who might want to buy Vervent unless the plan is for a public listing. Looking at their other investments, their European focus, the luxury / best in class / exclusivity label I wonder if they might be a fit for LVMH. A ‘Statement’ would be small change to many of their clients. I wouldn’t see that as limiting Naims constant quest for affordable perfection.

Just a thought

1 Like

To be honest … have no Idea. I just choose it based on looks. Whts the difference between 202 and 252? Looks similar enough to me.

A second row of buttons?

1 Like

To me it looks dated. What other manufacturers do the same on their preamps? I moved on, mainly because I no longer wanted so many boxes, interconnects, cable dressing, etc. Each to his own.

In a similar context, my house is occupied by furniture and domestic items whos design dates back to the 50’s/60’s in some cases.
I know if I need spares or want to change a layout I won’t be stuck with a product caught up in “yesterdays design”
Does my house look/feel like an antique? No it doesn’t, good design justifies a timeline that defys trends and fashions.

2 Likes