282 gourmet

That ‘something’ is what I love about the Supercap, I guess.

1 Like

There is that bit about the common ground with the SC. The SC will tempt you towards a 252 though.
See if you can try a second HC.

I demoed also the 252 and no, not for me.
So going to Supercap is a dead end.
SL

2 Likes

In my system adding a second HiCapDR was just adding more of the same.
The Supercap gives a different character to my 282. (2) HiCaps sounded sloppy and sluggish compared to the Supercap DR. I have no plans to go to the 252(552 maybe) but happily keeping the Supercap!

1 Like

I didn’t find the HCDR sluggish but it felt like I was increasingly listening to the hi fi, not the music…all very detailed etc etc but just not holding together as a piece (musically coherent I guess, so maybe ‘sloppy’?) Supercap just made music.
For example, when I reintroduced the SC2 for the Superline replacing the HCDR, music just made sense again.

Obviously, my ears, system etc.
Exactly how or why, technically-speaking, the SC has this effect (on me) I don’t know…maybe it’s in my mind… don’t really care so long as it does!

1 Like

I have not auditioned a NAC 252, but having procured a Supercap DR to replace olive Hicaps on the NAC 282 last year I’m not entirely convinced by the Supercap DR, and if I’m perfectly honest I’m not at all convinced by the NAC 282 either.

Well, I´m am very convinced of my 282 with 300DR, but not with 250DR.
So maybe it depends of amplification.

1 Like

Live concerts in particular impressed me with 282 + SupercapDR.

1 Like

300DR ‘blew me away’ (forgive the hyperbole, but it did) when I replaced my 250DR. How much so, I wasn’t expecting (had not heard the 300 before purchase). Super amp!

4 Likes

+1 on coherence. With the Supercap I find everything snaps into focus and draws me in.

2 Likes

this is not a thread I wanted to read.

I have a 282 with HCDR…

Are your listed olives and CB in a good state of service? If not, it might explain your doubts.

1 Like

Could you go bit deeper on why 252 was not a better choice to your ears?

Try a 252 I think :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I did this comparison recently after I bought a 252 to replace my 282. I went back and forth a few times and decided that yes the 282 has a little bit more boogie, but the 252 brought more detail, better separation of instruments, deeper bass and a much bigger soundstage. The last one was ultimately what did it for me and I had no reservations letting the 282 go as it sounded like the height of the soundstage had shrunk in half compared to the 252, almost like I was listening through a letterbox.
Having said all that, there are plenty of people who prefer the 282 sighting the boogie factor as the main reason, but sounds like you’re not that impressed by it, so like Mike_S says, try a 252!

4 Likes

Yes, I demoed one and was very impressed, but with active SBLs two would be currently prohibitive.

1 Like

Good point. Olive kit was serviced a couple of years ago, the CB NAXO is overdue a service, but is potentially being replaced.

1 Like

Indeed. The presentation of the 252 is somewhat different to the 282. My first attempt with the 252 (a couple of hours in my own system at home with a loaned 252) didn’t really convince me. Later I was able to get the 252 back on loan, from my dealer, for a longer period. I put the 252 back into the system and lived with it for a week - playing as much diverse music as time allowed. On re-inserting the 282, there was no contest - for all the reasons you described.

Fortunately I was able to retain my dealers loaned 252 for the duration (it was during one of the lockdowns) until my own, new, 252 was delivered.

3 Likes

In conclusion, moving from HicapDR to SupercapDR is a vertical move, only the price is concern, moving from 282 to 252 is a lateral move, you win some, you loose some.
And the price gap is greater than the first move.

But consider, the purchase/s will be offset some by selling 282 or HCDR.
I’d try and hear both options. Admittedly, I didn’t follow that advice as I changed to 252/300 during restrictions - but I knew what it was about the 282/250 that I wasn’t keen on (still a great combo, mind, but too ‘in your face’ for me, especially at louder volume. But…again…my room, ears etc).

1 Like