282 Power Supply

Ah yes Mike, I see your thinking. Although not sure what a 555 does for the NDX2 compared to the XPS. I do not read much about that combination on here, read a lot about the 272 and 555 being great partners.
That is another rabbit hole that I could go down, although I quite actually like reading and researching peoples different theories and opinions on things.

1 Like

Thanks Yeti for your reply. I definitely do not want to over egg the presentation. I wil leave as is for the moment.

With regards to Fraim - I am personally not a huge fan of the design look of it although sometimes I do see set ups that look amazing on it. Can I get the glass, cups and balls separately to go some way to better isolation ?

Yes, I can’t really help much. I have a NDX2 and XPS DR feeding a SN2, so my amplification is a step below yours. I do have a Superlumina full loom, which has made a nice improvement. I have focused on getting the maximum out of my electronics to minimise the box count.

1 Like

I’ve used 10mm glass with stainless steel balls resting on nuts. You can buy the Naim cup and balls as well.

3 Likes

You can get the cup, balls and glass from Naim separately or you get the 10mm toughened glass with bevelled edges from a glass supplier for around half the price (someone correct me if I’ve missed a detail). There was a recent thread about a DIY isolation solution started by @Xanthe you may want to look up, I stopped following it after a while so don’t know if it reached a conclusion.

I compared an XPS DR to a 555 non DR no a CDX2 and left with the 555ps. Probably worth a demo on and NDX2 so you might as well try a supercap too. I think you’ll probably decide you need both, my take on the supercap/282 is from the perspective of hindsight.

The Isol-8 is not something I’ve come across and may influence ps preferences so you’d best listen for yourself.

1 Like

I added s second hicap dr recently. Big improvement, mainly in clarity, separation and soundstage but also in lower registers of music. Really happy I added it. Did consider a supercar but the cost was too much for something the 282 doesn’t make full.use of and I have no intention of going 252

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from 282 Power Supply:

This is good to hear as definitely an option I am thinking about. Does 1 Hicap do power and 1 do signal in this configuration do you know? Just trying to understand the technical benefit of the 2nd one ?

You do end up with 3 boxes feeding the 282 though !

IMO to get the best out of 282 you need NAPSC which can sit nicely out of the way of any sensitive sources - and then min HCDR or x2 HCDR or 1 x SC -

when I had my 282 the NAPSC sat on the floorn under fraim

On the 282, the second power input does split rail left and right respectively so each channel has its own power supply. The older 82 is slightly different with each supply doing both channels of different stages.

I went from HCDR to two & then to SCDR. To these ears, each step up was an improvement with the SCDR obviously being the best sounding option but personally if you were keeping the 282 & were buying the SC new, it would be hard to justify the cost vs uplift in performance vs 2 HCDR’s (as I did feel, while better the difference isn’t massive). I purchased second hand with the plan of eventually swapping to a 252. In this case, I feel it makes sense.

1 Like

I certainly agree with that, as without it, you would get silence :grinning:

4 Likes

Is it good practice to have the Napsc as far away as possible then from the 282 then. I have attached picture of current arrangement. This okay ? or need to go lower
Comments on stacking order welcome. XPS under NDX. 250 under 282.

2 Likes

I would go with:

Left stack (Brain)
NDX
Napsc, Rega Phono stage
Right stack (Brawn)
XPS
Rega Power supply, HiCap

Ideally you want to keep the Brain stack on the left with the pre, phonostage and sources.

The right stack is the Brawn where you have the power supplies. The 250 at the top as it is more sensitive.

The turntable should ideally be on the left with the sources and pre, but should be fine.

Good to keep the phonostage away from power supplies as well.

More shelves would be ideal to separate your smaller components further: the Napsc, Rega p/s, Hicap and Rega phono.

1 Like

As @Dan_M advised I would go source on left and power on right

Ideally shortlist signal path from deck to pre, if possible with lead length

I would move Napscc away from source, it is known for being noisy supply, hence the length of the lead

Carefull cable dressing also makes a good difference

Hope this helps

1 Like

Thanks to @Dan_M @Antz and others for the advice. Most helpful place this forum. Cheers.

1 Like

Yes, as Yeti said, put ‘vibration isolation’ into the search and read that Thread.

This introduces a superb way invented by Xanthe to get excellent component isolation based on physical principles of energy reflection using suitable materials and methods.

1 Like

Could Napsc be moved to the floor out of the way completely. Omission on my part best to keep it out of Brain left stack.

Obviously you want it to look nice and neat as well.

The changes of the stacks will yield improvements.

1 Like

Yes i could put it on the floor or make a little shelf for it below the unit, will give it a try.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.