I’m currently in the process of upgrading my gear and I am a bit torn between on whether I should upgrade my pre or source.
I currently run a NDX/282/2x HCDR/300DR/PMC Fact 8.
Here are the facts:
I ususally do streaming for about 80% of the time using Tidal and my Qnap HS251+. Around 15% is all about watching TV and BDs via PS4 but that is hooked up via an Arcam AVR390 going directly into my 282. Rest of time is listening CDs with my Rega Apollo CDP which is also directly connected to my pre. I don’t want to spend more than 5k, and ideally it is even less :-).
Here are the options I have in mind:
In terms of pre upgrade I could trade in both of my HCDR and get a SCDR so financial layout is a bit easier. I have not heard the SCDR against 2x HCDR on a 282 and the naim community’s perception is divided at least when it comes to 282/SCDR. I don’t know when I can arrange a demo for that. FWIW my dealer said that a non-DR SC is comparable to my 2x HCDR and he can arrange me a setup to listen SC vs SCDR…
However there are two things that personally “bother” me abit:
- SCDR is not fully used compared to what it is actually capable of doing with a 252 (but thats just me ;-), however a lot of people seem to be very happy with it)
- Am I right when saying that my NDX is already a possible bottleneck in my current system, and by going a step further with a 282/SCDR/300DR this will obviously not show its true potential?
In regards to my NDX there are multiply options I could think of:
- just get a s/h nDac again (I had one before and sold it to help fund my 300DR but I remember that during my dealer’s demo the sound signature (NDX/nDac) was similar to a standalone NDX2 but I can’t recall if the NDX2 was in general superior). In terms of financial layout this would be the clear winner.
- upgrade to NDX2 if there is a significant jump in sound performance compared to NDX (to be honest I don’t need any of the new tech stuff such as roon support etc… I am more than happy with Tidal and it works very well)
- getting some XPS DR
- buy a Chord Hugo TT2 or Qutest and use NDX as a transport (never heard any of them, but instead read a lot of how it works very well with naim gear)
- purchase a s/h NDS+XP5XS which I have seen for around 4,5k (I don’t have funds for a bigger PS).
- sell my NDX and get a ND5XS 2 to be used as a transport (the streaming section is supposedly exactly the same as in the NDX2 and ND555) and hook up to a Chord Qutest or Hugo TT2
I know there are many options in my mind but any advice especially real world experiences would be highly appreciated.
Thank you and my best