2x555DR vs. 1x555DR on a ND555

When you wrote that NBL are hard to beat, with what modern speakers have you compared them?

See post 654. Fortunately I have no need to do anything yet!

1 Like

After reading all these comments I cannot wait to receive the second 555 PS I ordered back in January. My dealer tells me Naim are struggling to get DR components to assemble 555 PS DR and …I am still waiting.

People will choose what to believe, but to my ears and anybody who has heard my system, the Dynavector loaded Rega P9 wins quite convincingly in the involvement stakes vs the ND555. I still listen to the ND555 95% of the time because it is just easier. But vinyl, for me at least, still shows digital to be a little hollow and cold.
Having said that, the ND555 brings digital much closer than ever to the heights of a good turntable, more so with the 2nd PS.
Crazy thing is that the Rega cost (new) is probably less than quarter of the price of the streamer :scream:

3 Likes

Maybe I ought to have a listen to a Rega P9 some time. It would be good if I could make a back to back comparison with my own turntable.

Which phono stage do you use with the P9?

I have RP8/Apheta2/Aria yet I feel more involved when listening to my nDac.

1 Like

So true, its great to have 2 nice sources to choose from, it certainly takes a much bigger investment in digital to get close to vinyl

I use a « lowly » dynavector p75 stage. The synergy with the xx cartridge is pretty evident. It left the supercapped naim phone stage wanting in pretty much every way, which was a complete shock to me (and my dealer, who came over to do the demo). I was ready to shell out and saw the audition as more of a fait accompli formality but we both agreed upon comparison that it would be a backward step.

I am actually in the process of putting together a « vintage » system in the basement - SBLs on the way, plus a whole heap of olive gear ready to go. The TT will probably end up in that system as it suits the vibe more I think. Plus my wife would like the LPs to dissapear from the living area :grimacing: this is where the ND555 comes into its own - clean (box count excepting) set up and pretty darn good, even if not quite up there with vinyl!

But if you want to take your ND555 to the next level you need one of these! No mains cleaning etc, simply a transformer providing super stable supply with bags of grunt. The difference in my system is astounding. The addition of the 2nd PS, whilst a very worthwhile upgrade, in my system at least pales in comparison…

1 Like

Home built?

Thanks, but for me the next level was the rossini

I’d say more Boutique built - I am clueless on this stuff, but the guy that designs these is not, his credentials are impressive. Not something I would have believed until I happened upon this and borrowed one. Does not change the signature at all, just gives the system more life.
This is in context of a separate spur etc already.

I tried DCS - nice but not to my liking. Each to his own :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info.

May I ask which Dynavector cartridge you’re using? Is it the XX2 Mk2 ?

Hi ajm
It is a Dynavector XX-2.

Thanks

I imagine P10 is better nowadays (but there again in my experience things don’t always necessarily improve for the better in the most important ways!..)

Interesting!
Does the guy have a website were I could grab some information?

If I keep my system, I’m planning to add a big balanced power supply. It’ll feed my whole system through a dedicated radial. The BPS will be placed near the consumer unit.

No more humming :sweat_smile:

I’m amazed that despite a super clean power supply and two CD555PSDR, your ND555 is outperformed by a humble P9!

The P9 always punched above its weight in sheer fun factor - once I heard one I was sold, and out went the naimed-up LP12!