3-Sided Double LPs

Jack White’s Lazaretto was one inside outer iirc, and the other side had a blind choice of first track too, I think.

When I play mine, the inside out thing is completely weird…weirder than stepping on a stopped escalator but you still feel the motion for a split second. Can’t get used to dropping the stylus…or waiting with baited breath for the run out at the rim…

1 Like

Maybe in hindsight, but I think there was something arty or logos on most of the sides.

It was actually side B of the 2nd LP of 3 that had no grooves - I can maybe see why from the track listing but if any were to be blank yopu’d expect it to be side B of album 3.

For whatever reason I didn’t twig and it could have been quite costly.

The original press of The Who Tommy was like that, similarly I have a Story Of Otis Redding

1 Like

Harnoncourt’s first recording of the Mass in b Minor was on five sides of three Telefunken discs.

I have this vague memory of another one. I think my brother owned it. Dated from about 1970. Johnny Winter, maybe?

Oops - I see BlueCanary beat me to it.

Yes that makes no sense

M83, Junk - also over three sides. Artwork engraved on side 4

On a slightly different point, I have a memory that German-pressed multiple LP sets from the 1960s and 1970s didn’t always have sides A/B, C/D, E/F on the same LPs, but rather had them sequenced across the records (so A/D, B/E, C/F).

This seemed very odd to me, until I twigged that this was for the convenience of radio stations, so that record sides A and B (for example) could be spinning on two adjacent turntables, to minimise delay in sequencing music from one disc to the next.

Not well explained, but I hope that makes sense.

4 Likes

That does make sense, fascinating too!

I’d love to try an inside to outside LP too, might have to scour the second hand market for an example out of pure curiosity!

I’ve just had a bl**dy expensive new cartridge fitted to my LP12, so I probably shan’t look for LPs that play from inside to outside, as I don’t fancy having to replace my new cartridge yet again within weeks.

(I can’t actually get my head round how an LP could do that anyway.)

1 Like

A side track but does anyone have a quadruple live LP? I have one, guess they’re not that common?

Try Kamasi Washington’s Heaven and Earth 4 LPs plus a hidden one.:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Wagner operas, Beethoven cycles, etc.

Didn’t Chicago have one - a live set?

Edit - yup!

1 Like

I always heard the A/C/B/D thing was so that you could stack a double LP on the tall autochanger and only have to get up to flip the records once. Think these changers were popular because of 45’s.

One disc falls therefore smack on top of the other…eeeeek!!!

images (1)

2 Likes

Edit: Live Lp…

I have a few three- or five-sided albums. I use the blank side to set anti-skate.

Can you elaborate? I’ve always set the anti-skate on the Ekos to match the tracking force but it is getting on a bit and I guess it may not be doing what it did originally.

Hmm, maybe so.

Reminds me of my old Garrard.

1 Like

I use a blank record side and adjust the anti-skate so the tonearm moves very slightly inward when dropped on the blank side. I do this more towards the end, like where you might have the last track of a side. Anti-skate isn’t the same across the record and anything you come up is just a best average for the whole side. There is no exact adjustment since it changes as the stylus glides across the record side.

The Soundsmith website has some advice along these lines, Just do a Google search for Soundsmith anti skate.

2 Likes

Yes, I have some records that are sided 1/4 + 2/3 and even 1/6 + 2/5 + 3/4. I cleaned one today (an old DGG tulips pressing from the 60s of Karajan/Berliner doing Beethoven’s Missa Solemnis).

These were for the benefit of early turntables with automatic record changers. Stack them on the speindle. After they all dropped and played turn them over, and do it again.