300 versus 250DR with extra 555 DR PS on NDS

Yes. We still have the 802D Mk2. They work well in the room and we’re sticking.

It is relevant in another way. £2,500 buys you what is still one of the best streamers available. A bargain. It won’t show any shortcomings to a 552/500.

I would personally go for the upgraded source in the first instance but the results can be variable. No wrong answer really.

4 Likes

As reading regularly our preferred forum, since maybe 6 or 7 years ( I begun when I wanted to know if I can go for an Nds…), I remember that a second ps for an Nds was not preferred by all. Maybe 2/3 went for it, 1/3 preferred only one ps. Martin Colloms, when he reviewed the Nds, found that one ps gives a more balanced sound, something like that.
Then, on the new forum, regards to the Nd555, I remember no one that said he prefers 1 555 dr vs 2. Unanimity for 2X ps for the Nd555.

2 Likes

Ear of the beholder. Each to our own.

I had traded in my 555PS for a 555PSDR thanks to a superb offer from my dealer. Thanks Andrew. I didn’t think it could get any better. My music collection sounded like never before and like any good source, even the “difficult” stuff was starting to deliver it’s music without grating so much. That’s musical communication for you.

My second PS trial was nothing more than idle curiosity. The loan PS was the well run in and cared for 555PS that I had traded in some months before. My dealer had not yet sold it on. The uplift was frankly ridiculous. The low noise floor seemed to vanish altogether, the timing seemed to get tighter, the bass got cleaner and just a touch more tuneful (if that’s the right word) and more detailed. Really? Yeah really. I couldn’t believe it either - until I heard it.

What really came through and was for me the clincher, was the separation within what sounded like an identical sized sound stage. Same height, width and depth, but more separation within. It was mentally easier to walk into the stage and around the elements. The front to back separation wasn’t different in size but it sounded more realistic. Material that I’ve known and loved for 50 years yielded yet more distinct multi tracked components. On a particular favourite, what since 1975 I had believed was a two guitar multi track was in fact four track. On another, three harmonised voices became four and stood further apart from each other. Low synth bass notes/tones resolved into more component frequencies. And so on.

The acid test is what happens when the original setup is restored. It sounded great but I knew what was missing. I suppose you could say that at their respective price points each combination was peerless. I could go on. The overall result was more realism, more insight, and an even greater appreciation of the effort which goes into producing some of these sonic masterpieces. And so realistic that I can equate it to a sort of time travel. It’s like you were there.

Other people couldn’t hear a difference when they did it. One or two reported a preference for a single supply. Caveat emptor - or something like that.

4 Likes

I think the thing is @Stu299 you have a new rack and the grain all matches and it looks wonderful. So I guess it’s either a 2nd PS for the NDS and a 250DR or getting a 300DR or 500. A 7th box would alter the symmetry of your rack.

Would a 500 fit on the rack? Have you considered going for an ND555 with one 555PS and then upgrading the power amp at a later date?

I think in your situation I would be demoing different options.

You may decide to leave it as is

3 Likes

Agree but as the rest is already in place I wouldn’t be spending anywhere near that amount and I’d look for a good ex-dem or P/L first.

So options are;

300 DR

or

250 DR + 555 DR

with proceeds from 300 factored in

Thanks all for some great advice as always.

@Dan_M the rack won’t accommodate a 500 as it is but I do have some matching risers tucked away to increase height on the bottom layer. I think a DR is out of reach but a well cared for 500 if it comes along who knows…

2 Likes

I know but even secondhand etc, the money spent on both power supplies have to be accounted for and even secondhand 2 x 555dr’s are quite a substantial amount.
Selling the NDS, would bring in about £2k, add that to the money pot you have for a secondhand 555ps and you’re probably not far away from a secondhand nd555 and that should certainly be better. Or you could try others, as you will certainly have a nice wallet full that will bring into play lots of other great dacs/streamers if you sold the nds and 555ps, plus your budget for an extra 555ps, arround £11k or more ? That certainly gives you very nice choices and even better if you look secondhand

1 Like

Thanks Dunc. I’ll be honest and admit I’m totally invested in the Naim house sound, heritage and look. I accept it’s a narrow outlook and sound-wise I could be missing out, but the pull of the other factors remains too strong. The ND555 warrants consideration tho.

My name is Stu and I’m a Naimaholic :joy:

6 Likes

I have a pair of 135s myself and rather than going 300DR I would be more inclined to go for the 500. I have heard the 500DR with 252 Supercap DR and that was very very good.

The only thing is Naim are no longer doing DR upgrades so it would have to remain a 500.

If you want your rack to look the same and are still looking to upgrade then a 300DR would work.

1 Like

Well then certainly try a nd555 or wait for a newer version as that can’t be far away and has to be on naims priority list

1 Like

I very much doubt that.

Besides, IMO, it wouldn’t make much sense.

The classic series is completed with two streamers: ND5XS2 and NDX2.

The 500 series also has its streamer: ND555

The next logical and commercially interesting step would be a streamer for the Statement series.

A streamer, on the Statement level, would be sold to Statement or 500 series owners.

It would then compete with the DACs from MSB, CH Precision, Soulution, Nagra, etc.

In terms of aura, it would be a big hit.

It would create a buzz, which would inevitably impact sales, starting with the Muso and Uniti ranges. It seems a paradox, but those familiar with marketing won’t disagree.

1 Like

Well i disagree, as if thats your thinking then naim didnt need to do anything as they already had the 1st range of streamers didn’t they and look how dated they are now, naim certainly need to keep update on the dac/streamer side off things.
They are already lagging behind really, good still yes but certainly not top of the class or near it these days and more so once you look at prices.
The lower end of the market has certainly made big jumps lately and its easy to find great sounding, feature packed products, that has ment the high end stuff has had to up its game too, unfortunately naim has yet to do that, but it did manage to up its price lol ( yes i know most have and this is more a joke).
They dont need to bring a statement spec one out, but that would be nice if they could even do it?, but a new upto date dac, streamer really is needed, as many have also remarked and not just me

In which ways are the ND range outdated according to you?

Compared to others, its sound quality can be found to be slightly lacking these days in area’s as other dacs have moved on and got better, as i say this isn’t just my view, you hear it alot these days and see even more people moving away from naims streamers as they search for better.
I am sure naim are up to it and look forward to what’s next

1 Like

I didn’t realise that. Are you saying there is consensus about the superiority of other brands equally priced streamers?

The only other streamers I have heard was the Gold Note DS-10 with power supply and an older Linn with newly fitted Klimax something they had nothing compared to my NDS/555PS DR but are off course not in the same ballpark financially.

Lots of stuff about to read on many forums as per normal, plus my own findings plus back up by 2 dealer’s that i have spoken too and reported the same feeling and findings etc.
The nd555 is getting much harder to sell these days, and one dealer said he sees more coming back in for trade in rather then new sales

I use Proac Tab 10 Signature. They certainly didn’t need a 300DR and were quite happy with the 250DR for a few years.

The 300DR has been unexpectedly transformational though. I could not go back.

G

3 Likes

There was one in R&D. There probably still is, in some shape or form.

When I last visited the factory they were working on a distribution board. They had been for some years. Naim always have things in development. You can’t discount anything.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.