300dr problem

I had to return my first 300DR as the cooling fan was permanently on and sounded like a jet taking off… now 6 months in with the replacement 300 and (touch wood) no problems to report.

Oh. Here I am again. After my last post to this thread Naim replaced the power supply element of the 300Dr having previously replaced the head unit mere days after initial delivery. Along with the replacement they sen my new XLR cables and new burndy. All has been perfect for about a month. Today however I have another problem. It’s happened 3 times today after no more than 20 minutes of moderate volume playing. Both in radio and qobuz streaming. At a certain point I hear a tiny amount of static before all sound goes. The 300dr and power supply lights go off at the same time. Powering off the 300Ps via the front button, allowing 5 minutes and then back on returns the music. Unlike my previous problem neither unit gets warm.
To summarise every single piece of the 300 has been replaced and I still have a problem, albeit a little different from the initial problem. If anyone has any ideas I’d be grateful to hear, also is there any probability that something upstream in the hicap or 282 could be causing the 300 to lose power? Thanks (from the unluckiest naim user that ever there was)

I think by now you might be due a replacement. :thinking:
Reminded me of this old advert. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Could it be your mains supply?:man_shrugging:t3:

They’ve already replaced both parts and all the cables. Guess I’ll expect them to replace both bits again given proximity to purchase but have they got any units left is what worries me. I’ve added a power line they gave me as a gesture of goodwill give all the issues I’ve had, but I doubt that could be causing the problem…could it?

Good question but would that not affect all components? Everything is connected via a chord powerhouse s6. When the power amp goes down all the other components remain on. :man_shrugging:t2:

It sounds like the thermal trip switch in the 300PS is triggering and shutting the amp down. Is the 300 head unit getting unusually warm (where the thermal trip control circuit is located) ?

It sounds like it could be a Powerline that’s not fitted properly and is arcing in the IEC socket. Is the Powerline pushed all the way into the iEC? (See FAQ here)

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. Just double checked and it’s fully engaged. I experienced the necessity for the “clunk” when fitting one to my hicap. The power line connection is :+1:t2:

Nope, that was an issue before they swapped the power supply out. Head unit was getting to 39 degrees under low volume usage. Currently running as cool as cold custard.

Strange - it does sound like the thermal trip is anomalously firing hence the amp appearing to power off. If you don’t switch the amp off manually when this happens and just leave it, does it come back on by itself ?

Given your persistent issues, I’d suggest getting your dealer to visit to check all is well with your setup.

Good luck :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Hi
Not at all but there is something not right with the consistency of the components used I’d dig my heels in for a complete item replacement they’ve had chances to make good and a sweetener only works when the problem is cured it’s no good for continuing faults.
I’d have lost all faith in the product it’s not a budget item by any means and your consumer rights are the same regardless.
Good Luck. :+1:t2:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.