300DR ....shall I?

Opportunity to pick up an ex demo tomorrow to reolace my 250DR.
In the context of my set up and inparticular my SF olymica nova 2s I am hopeful of a nice uplift.
I invite either your support or otherwise. Its nice to have a 2nd 3rd 4th etc opinion from this community

1 Like

I’d PX your xpsdr for a 555ps first…

The uplift will be immense

2 Likes

I made the same move,from 250 to 300dr. Was a nice uplift but no so big as from 200 to 250. That was huge.
Speakers are SF Olympica 3.
Also went from NDS/XPSDR to NDS/555PS. Uplift was underwhelming for me,by far not so big as I had expected.
To be clear,this is MY experience,yours or others may be completely different.

6 Likes

It’s is funny how it works isn’t it. Maybe it was because it was an NDX and not and NDX 2 ??

The 555ps has been my most significant sonic upgrade on my system… more noticeable than the ndx2 to a nd555 and the 252 to a 552… don’t get me wrong they all sounded better than before but for me the ps took it to a whole new level… (for me anyway)

Maybe ask to demo ? Try before you buy

Just make it easy and get both lol :moneybag:

5 Likes

If it’s a good deal then go for it. I made this change a few years back and did no regret it. What’s certain is that these things will not be getting any cheaper.

2 Likes

I demoed a 300DR vs an olive NAP 250 some time ago in a passive setup and I thought it was extremely good, just so much more control of bass, more authority and clrity, but the big thing was how much better everything sounded at lower listening levels which I’d love to have for later listening.

Currently I’m running SBLs active with a pair of olive 250s, and would love to here what a 300DR could do even if I only put it on HF or LF and kept one of the 250s but at the moment I have other priorities for any spare cash.

If it’s a genuinely good deal ex-demo I think you’d be well advised to give it a whirl demo wise in your system on a sale or return basis if that is feasible.

2 Likes

Thank you.
Lower volume listening is something i am hopeful of improving

1 Like

I bought my 300DR used, with no audition (the days of pandemic limitations among other things).

Absolutely no regrets at all.

I’m staying well away from hearing a 500 tho!

6 Likes

I seem to recall mentioning this in a different thread and several people felt the same. It may well be system dependent of course but it was very striking for me.

2 Likes

Of course you should.

2 Likes

Thats the kind of snappy and definitive reply that appeals to my limited intellect

2 Likes

Is a home demo feasible, if so it’s a no-brainer if you have the funds for the upgrade?

2 Likes

At NAP300 price level, it should be mandatory - and should be available… :thinking:

For us mere mortals anyway!

1 Like

:blush:

Indeed. So far, I have been ‘given’ things to try for a week, by my nearest Naim dealer. Not quite at 300 level, but CDX2, XPS2 and Kudos X3’s. In all cases, the result was positive - well short of a week… :astonished:

Nothing expensive, but dealer spoke to me this week as I’ve had a couple of things on demo for almost a year! :scream_cat:

:astonished: :flushed: :crazy_face:

1 Like

I’m indecisive!

2 Likes

But now you are not sure…?? :grimacing:

2 Likes