300DR v 500DR

I look forward to the purchase of the next one :joy::joy::joy:

Behave yourself, Nigel. :shushing_face::shushing_face::grin:

You’re in denial Dave, you know it’s going to happen :sob::sob::sob:

You been chatting with Pete, then? :open_mouth:

Me? Dave? I know nothing :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Nigel,

Well, where to begin, after a long session with the 500DR last night?

My “thing” has always been to seek a presentation which fools me into believing that the singer / band are present in the room, possibly at the expense of accurate reproduction, (which may explain why the ATC active speakers just didn’t do it for me).

Just as with the move from non DR 300 to the DR version, which propelled me a little further down this path, the demo of the 500 takes things to an altogether different level.

Bass notes, though well controlled, go far deeper on familiar tracks and on some albums, Robert Plant’s in particular, voices are clearer, more realistic, and further forward in the mix. There’s definitely more “layers” to the music, where I am hearing the individual instruments as part of the ensemble, rather than just “the band”.

But the biggest surprise is that the soundstage is massive, extending way beyond the placement of the speakers, which have now truly disappeared, well, other than a feeling that they’ve each sprouted a pair of cartoon arms which are waving about shouting “Hallelujah!”

How this has been achieved, I don’t know, other than the fact that I can only assume that the 500, rather than be the natural partner for my 552, is, in fact, one half of the same amplifier.

So, where does this leave yourself?

Easy to spend other folks money, but I would suggest that if it is doable, bypass the 300DR, (which is a fab amp, nevertheless), and stick with your 250, before going straight to the 500DR. You already have the 552, and even in non DR form, I’m sure you would reap the benefits.

Needless to say, it looks as if I’ll be trundling my 300 over to Chester when I visit the show on Saturday.

As I’ve often said in the past, “the fun just never stops”.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

5 Likes

Dave, early congratulations on your inevitable purchase! My 552/500 unDRed has been warming up for nearly a week. It possesses all the characteristics you are enjoying if not in quite the same measure. I only wish there had been an alternative. Perhaps Naim will consider!

Phil

1 Like

There is, Phil, it’s a wee three box amp called “Statement”, but let’s not go there! :shushing_face:

1 Like

Hi Dave, thanks for your erudite and eloquent comparison of the 300DR and 500DR, exactly what I was seeking.

With your paragraph quoted above, you have absolutely read my mind. And of course I will do the necessary demos before spending so much money, but it helps to narrow down the options so you don’t disappear up your own rear end attempting to compare too much stuff.

I suspected that it would be sensible, and cost-effective in the long run, to skip the 300DR and go straight to a 500DR, even if it has to be a pre-loved one. I am sure I would love the 300DR but there would always be a nagging doubt that I was missing out on the very best a 552 can deliver, assuming the source and speakers are up to it of course.

Once again, thanks for dragging yourself away from the music to give us such a great insight.

A good time to swap in the NAP 500 is when you move house, so much going on, your wife might not even notice😎

3 Likes

Hi Nigel,

Yes, I’d be thinking exactly the same, always enjoying the 300, but knowing that eventually, as circumstances allow, that I would someday be seriously looking at its big brother.

I do know that I am very fortunate to have a very good Naim dealer, who has not only guided me throughout, since my first foray into Naim with some entry level kit via Fleabay, but who has also managed to render each step along the way financially painless … well, comparatively so! :slightly_smiling_face:

The 500? That soundstage … unbelievable! :open_mouth:

Now Gazza, you would’t be leading me astray, would you?

(You do make an excellent point though :grimacing:)

Dave, did you use a Powerline with you 300DR? It certainly seems my unDRed 500 benefits from a much better mains cable.

Phil

Yes, Phil I’m on full fat Powerlines throughout the entire system. I see you have a couple of Isotek Optimums in your setup, so do you find them to be better than Powerlines?

I can’t compare a pair of PLs as I’m one short. I could try the 2 Isoteks Platinums on 552/500 but it might be hard to compare as I should leave the 555DR alone. Fair to say the 500 really benefits from a better mains lead than a PL Lite, and the Isotek is a big improvement.

It was probably nearly 3 years ago I tried the Isotek Platinums (under £400 on a deal) and the PLs. I also tried other less expensive Isoteks but they didn’t cut it. I had a 282 + SuperCap DR with a 250DR. I didn’t have Naim glass etc or the air round the boxes or the SL. My PL came with the 555DR used with nDAC. The XPSDR seemed to like the Isotek so I continued using it with the 555DR and put the PL on the SuperCap DR which was powering a 252 and I’d got the Naim glass as well. I didn’t have the hard bass with that combination, which was my experience nearly 3 years ago.

What it is to have a dealer who steers you in the right direction! Even better when you feel there is a good deal. I have heard some stories though which I won’t repeat.

Phil

My first experience of power lines was of adding one to a 555PS to the Naim DAC which I had at the time, and the uplift was immediate.

Since then much of the kit I’ve bought came with a Powerline, and I’ve simply added a couple of pre-owned ones elsewhere.

It might all be in the mind, but I think they do work, and as I said to Pete yesterday, the one which arrived with the 500 DR, and which I don’t need, might end up on my Jura coffee machine … you never know! :joy:

1 Like

Dave, You must find a better use than that. Shame you can’t buy without with £599 knocked off! I have a new PL Lite for the same reason.

Phil

1 Like

that’s one very special source you got there with ND555 and 2 PS555DR… it must be some system with the Neat speakers, congratulations !

1 Like

Cheers, Analogmusic,

Yes, the 500DR has certainly brought out the best in the Neats, just as a certain Polar Bear of this parish always said it would … seems he was right, all along … sounding great here. :grinning:

2 Likes

@NigelB
Would you upgrade to the NAP 500 before NDS to ND555?Just curious