300DR v 500DR

Of course but then 500dr costs 20k
The 250dr around 3.5k gbp
I certainly hope there’s a massive sq difference between them !

The 250DR is incredible value for money, but the 500DR slaughters it - but it may not be worth the outlay for a lot of people is very true.

Just in context of having NDS 250DR and swapping out NDS for ND555 keeping 250DR or keeping NDS and swapping 250DR for 500DR - the latter will be a more obvious big improvement.

NAP500 is a bigger easier sound that effortlessly presents music and masters almost any speaker.
ND555 is IMO far better than NDS, but I personally believe ‘source first’ can be taken too far and you need some system balance to get a good system, so 500 - enjoy - then ND555 - enjoy even more later!

DB.

1 Like

DB, you have summarised my feelings perfectly.

Looks like I have just missed out on a pre loved 500DR at my local dealer.

There is available a 500 built in 2000 which I could of course service and DR, but I have my doubts about buying a 19 year old 500. I am also aware that there were some significant modifications to the 500 over the years, e.g. raising some components on legs (resistors I believe) above the surface of the PCB.

Does anyone have experience of buying a very early 500, and can the later modifications be retro-fitted to an earlier 500?

That would be me! :bear:

I had mine all (3) done and Naim totally swap-out all innards (electronics, PSBs and even sockets) for the DR update so only the box is remaining from the old Amp - so you get the full upgrade.

My advice - get a good old non-DR 500 - enjoy it - get the DR done ASAP when funds are comfortable - then revel at how much better it is.

Check the latest quote from Naim for the DR - and service in this instance - add the purchase cost of a SH 500 and compare to new 500DR and if there is a few k pounds in your favor - treat yourself, as you end-up with a 500DR either way.

DB.

4 Likes

Thats great advice DB as i would probably steer clear of one that old. Now where did nigel say he lived and what dealer did he use? Oh my memory lets me down when i need it the most😉

@NigelB have you checked this one out. Gazza did, but not the right time.

It would have been cheaper for me, but they might not part exchange.

Phil

As DB says, When I sent my NAP 300 off for a service and DR upgrade, Naim tech. told me that they retained the case, the heatsink and possibly the fan when carrying out the DR upgrade on the amp section. So the guts of the amp is new. In the power section they told me that they kept the case and the transformer.
Given the modest price i paid for an old amp in a very well looked after case, the cost to up grade to what is practically a new amp seemed a very good way of getting a NAP300DR. I would imagine a similar route for the NAP 500 might be good value too.

2 Likes

Why were/are Naim offering a cheaper service deal for DR upgrades, if it all gets replaced?

Good point! Maybe the transformer??

@Filipe, thanks for pointing this out but I am only after a 500 and would want to trade in my 250 and SL DIN/XLR against it, so a dealer is my best bet.

1 Like

The transformer and casework are an expensive item - production costs to obtain that finish are a reasonable chunk of what you buy with the 500.

I used to hobby-build my own Amps years ago and I’d find I could get a great price (low) for all electronics, then PCBs next, then the expensive items were transformers - the proper custom ones needed with screen - and then a decent casework … and I gave-up and purchased Naim all done for me once I began to realise how expensive it becomes to get your own done.

Getting Naim to do the lot and me enjoy music instead seemed a far better deal - money became less tight when house paid for…etc.

DB.

1 Like

Hi Nigel, I thought £9,500 was a good price for a 500DR. I’m not much interested in fleabay or similar options. Even ‘friends’ has a downside.

I think much of what is described as the DR difference is of the same degree as best and worse setup. Someone suggested the 500 had 1st generation DR components, which the 300 etc didn’t. More air round boxes etc is worthwhile, and I’m sure you will get a real lift from a 500.

Phil

Filipe

£9500 is a steal for a 500DR
that’s why I snapped it up
It will join my non DR 500 and pair of 135’s

Regards
Lyndon

2 Likes

I looked an hour ago to see if it had gone. Congratulations.

Was part exchange an option?

Enjoy your new purchase an let us know how it sounds.

Phil

Filipe
Thanks, no it wasn’t a trade in, my CB 135’s are too old for that
It may be awkward to know how it sounds as such
At the moment my Tom Evans Mastergroove 1 is being upgraded to full SR spec, so the 500 will coincide with this so it will be tricky to know who is bringing what to the party
The new 500 will only be powering the mids

Lyndon

1 Like

It will do well there IMO - but it will shine wherever you put it in a wonky-Active system (different Amps).

I used to run one of these so have experimented. Beware the NAP500 has 1db more gain than the non-bridged non-differential drive NAPs (so 500 and Statement have a tad more gain) - so you will need to tweak the Active crossover down to remove the extra.

Enjoy! :slightly_smiling_face:

DB.

Good Morning, Dear Readers,

Well, for those of you who have been following this thread, and the parallel one concerning 500DR v ATC Active speakers … ponder no more.

Having just paid Geoff, I am now an extremely happy bunny, and the proud owner of a new 500DR.

It was always going to end this way, wasn’t it?:roll_eyes:

7 Likes

And the winner of the forum “When will Dave place his 500DR order?” sweepstake is…

1 Like

I had full confidence in you buying it from post one Dave, congratulations on the purchase :slight_smile:

1 Like

Acoustica! :laughing:

3 Likes