34 year old troika eats CDS3/XPS DR for breakfast

What he brought it he was folds it’s a Van Den hul Diamond. If that make any sense? Obviously they are very good

1 Like

If it has been retipped with a Van Den Hul Type 1 stylus - this is more likely than the Type 2
That is very interesting and certainly not common! it is one of the more extreme Line Contact
varieties and a possible look at where this cartridge may have evolved to. Myself i would have simply not had the nerve to modify it.

1 Like

Sorry I’ll try that again! At the time of purchase he was told it has Van Del hul diamond. It was so long ago. I’m sure he thought it was brand new at the time.
Anyway still going strong although looking to the future a linn kandid is his goal.

I thought the K 560 was brighter harsher (like i can remember that far back!) so that explains it. At the time i put some of it on that it seemed to me they were fiddling with the Flow Solder and the brand of resistors say Green etc? instead of White? which to me came across as gritty! After trying 5 various sets of boards 470 ohm i finally came across a set in a s/h NAC32 which were just every thing you could ever want, and these boards are totally responsible for the superb Moving Coil interface i have to day.

Some of the earlier “artwork” boards were a bit “softer” was it those?

I am afraid i can’t back it up, sorry not enough parts for information. The boards at hand are just plain in appearance. I have 2 sets with a K sticker 323/5 green resistors, red tantalums.
And 1 set of 470 ohm NA 323 iss2. green resistors, blue tantalums.
My notes say all boards my NAC 32 have yellow tantalums resistor colour unknown?
What i Actually have in the NAC 32 M/C section resistors etc i don’t know? but i have seen
very early boards with white resistors somewhere but i cant say that is what i have.
This is a good time to bring something up because it bothers me and plays tricks with my mind and memory i don’t think it is real but say 1974/75 i believe i saw a NAP250 with the case open and every resistor had the colour coding scraped off by hand ostensibly to prevent anyone copying the circuit i have tried to do this my self but it was not possible!!

Probably better for @NeilS to comment here on the different coloured Tants over the years.

Think the Karma arrived first. The Troika AFAIK was similar to a Karma, but with a 3 bolts mounting. Hence… its name.
There was also the Asaka, which was cheaper… I had one of those…

Yes, Karma arrived before the Troika. Essentially similar apart from the body.

Asaka was replaced by the Klyde, which IIRC was built by Goldring.

Back in 1987, my Linn Asaka was £249 - it replaced my Asak (which cost £207 in 1983).

And - of course - its the ‘K’ in Karma for Naim 323 K or 523 K boards.

I’m afraid this is going to be pretty vague!
The lighter coloured body resistors were used from day one up until somewhere between 1985-1988, when they were changed to the green body ones.
In the very early days a variety of tant colours were used - yellow, blue & orange (possibly others too).
Somewhere in the 80s we used red consistently until the early 90s, then we changed to blue up until about 2010, when we changed to the current yellow ones.

Regards
Neil.

3 Likes

Copy that, my Preamp would date approx 1985-1988 with yellow tant one day i will see exactly what M/C boards it contains or if it was just a preferred sample variation.
I will print your post for future reference, as i set the boards for a linear contact on the
connectors i don’t like to open it up.
Regarding the NAP 250 one does wonder where this memory comes from? would not be
an easy thing to self make up. I can still sort of see those white scraped off resistors i think
i was being shown this at a dealers “look at this does not want any one to copy it”
but current production resistors can not have the coding removed!
This may just have to go into Folklore true or not with the balance on not.

Linn’s first cartridge design the Asak (better than the Karma in my opinion) was developed
with the help of Supex. It was named after the owner of Supex Mr Asakura.

I believe I heard the same story. And the previous Linn recommended cart was the Supex 900…

the answer is ALOT

My Legendary Treasure Chests of Meticulously Vacuumed LPs, Shining VPI IV / ET2 Temple with its Tireless DC pump + 20’ of hose, and the Divinely Inspired LP12/Ekos/Arciv/Mana Snaic’d Active Naim’d has gone the Way of the Towering Ziggurats of Babylon. I use a XS2+CDS3 now. Its way better.

You were barely weaned! :slight_smile:

If turntable ownership brings on audio nervosa, you may want to get rid of the turntable. I haven’t tweaked mine in a very long time. But some folks here appear to live for audio nervosa. I’m glad to see that the condition has a name. Insert Naim pun here.

Record players certainly offer the hobbyist plenty to get there teeth into, but absolutely nothing wrong with that! Personally, my dealer looks after my record player. I just play my records.

The simple life avoids me like the Plague!

Hi-Fi is a insanity addiction which causes a widening separation between music and
a search for a unknown.

1 Like